All Mapex!

Shalaq

Hey guys
This is an All Mapex thread. Post pics of your Mapex sets, ask about them here. I myself own a Saturn Pro studio kit, so if you have any questions- here's the place to ask :)

loop

I used to own Mapex Saturn 20x16 bass drum. It sounded like a cannon! I think Mapex drums are the best bang for the buck. The shell construction in Saturn series provides professional sound with tons of low end( the inner 2 walnut plies) projection and warmth(4 outer maple plies) for a price of a semi-pro kit. That's why I think Mapex is a great brand. Here's a quick pic of my Saturn:

the hot pic

TDRUMP

:cry: SORRY I DON'T OWN MAPEX DRUMS. I GUESS I CAN'T BE PART OF THIS! IF YOU EVER PURCHASE TAMA SUPERSTARS OR A TAYE KIT, LET ME KNOW SO I CAN JOIN THE FUN!

Qbs

I used to have a brass 13x3,5 mapex pro snare... it looked like this: (photos are not to good :/)

loop

dannydrumperc - great set. Make a separate thread about your Mapex in Show Us Your Kit section!:)

PS - welcome to the forums!

YardDogg

After researching all the different drummakers, I decided that the Mapex M series would be the gbest value for what I was wanting to spend and, most importantly, they guarantee their shells for life! I only spent $650 on the initial 6pc which is a very good deal when iot comes to entry- level, maple shells. A year later, I found that the dbl bas pedal was more trouble than it wqas worth so I found an exact match to my kick drum on eBay and only had to come out of pocket w/179!!! I also found an 8"tom and now I'm in search of an 18" floor/stand mount tom. I love having two kicks since I grew into music during the 80's/90's hair metal scene. I am lstarting to think about upgrading to a Saturn Pro kit sometime ion the next year or two. For now, my M's are the shit and I'm very proud

Drums – Mapex M6225 Studio M-Series w/TranslCherry finish
8 x 8 Standard Tom
10 x 9 Standard Tom
12 x 14 Standard Tom
14 x 16 Standard Tom
16 x 19 Standard Tom
18x22 Bass Drums (2)
14x5.5 Noble & Cooley Original Alloy Classic Snare (black)
14 x 5 Mapex M-Series Maple Snare

Cymbals – Zildjian
1-10" ZXT Titanium Flash Splash
1-Pr 14" A Mastersound Hats
1-14" K mini-China
1-15" A Custom Crash
1-10" A Custom Splash
1-16" K Dark Crash Thin
1-16" A Custom Proj. Crash
1-16" China Trash
1-19" A Custom Crash
1-20" K Custom Session Ride

1-DW 5000TD HH stand
2-DW 5000TD Accelerator BD pedals
1-Rock-n-Soc Hydraulic lift gas throne
1-Tama HD boom stand
1-TAMA HD dbl. tom stand
1-Mapex 550 boom stand
2-Mapex 550 Straight stand
2-Yamaha straight stands
1-Mapex 550 Snare stand
3-Pearl misc. clamps
Mapex 550 dbl tom stand
1-LP Cowbell holder

Drum Heads _____________________________________________

Snare Top – Attack Terry Bozio Sig. 1-ply
Snare Bottom – Attack Terry Bozio Sig. ultra-thin
Tom batters – Aquarian Texture COated Double Thins
Tom reso’s – Aquarian Classic thins
Kick drum batters – Aquarian SuperKick II’s
Kick drum fronts – Aquarian HighPerf

Sticks________________________________________________

ProMark - 774 Neil Peart Sig. Japanese Oak wood tip
Vic Firth - Danny Carey Signature Stick wood tip
Zildjian – 5B Anti-Vibe wood tip
ProMark – HotRods or TunderRods for quieter rooms.
Ahead - Performance Grip tape on all sticks except the hotrods/thunder & danny carey’s

Misc. gear and tools____________________________

Evans Drum Key bit for drill
SKB road cases
Adidas Tuscany’s
LP mini blocks
Various Cowbells
Inversion Table (for a healthy back)

Jaki

definutly worth every penny and with teh rigth skins uve got a lush sound what ever style of music you play

mapexdrummer

i own a mapex v-series drumset w/basswood shells...nice sound i also have a pro m add on 8''tom haha its nice! haha if i were to upgrade to another kit any suggestions on to match a v-series sound? :D

drumDawG

TDRUMP":3138kzql said:
:cry: SORRY I DON'T OWN MAPEX DRUMS. I GUESS I CAN'T BE PART OF THIS! IF YOU EVER PURCHASE TAMA SUPERSTARS OR A TAYE KIT, LET ME KNOW SO I CAN JOIN THE FUN!
:shock: Hey... you said the magic word!
Taye! I been looking for someone who could offer some info on Taye drums.. the pro X in particular. I know about Ray Ayotte
heading the company. That's a real good thing. A good friend of mine owns a honey amber (for lack of the real name of the finish) Ayotte maple kit with maple hoop rims. I have never in all my 30+ years of playing drums found a maple shell kit to rival my bud's Ayotte!
That gets me to wondering about these Tayes. Talk about things that make you go hmmm. I live in a small town in Wisconsin and the nearest shop that carries Tayes is about an hour and 20 min drive, so I rely alot on product reviews and people in the know.
I have tried on several other websites to glom info on these rather
nice looking drums. So far.. I haven't found too much.. I guess Taye drums, although 5 years in production, haven't really "taken off"
in the U.S. just yet. Soo...does anyone out there have any experience with Taye? :?:

Animal

No offence, but isn't the Mapax drums a little "cheap"? :oops:

I might be full of prejustice here, but I have a clear opinion that the Mapex's is a bit like "Tama Swing Star" some 25 years ago.

Please tell me more about the Mapex Qualities! Anyone?

drummer101

Are you comparing a particular Mapex model or just all of them to a Swingstar? lol Ive never played a swingstar and i own a Mapex M birch myself but basically Ive heard nothing but good or great things about Mapex kits recently.

drumdug

The Mapex VX series is in the same category as the Tama Swingstar. I've owned both and prefer the Mapex VX, myself. Mapex has numerous series of sets to compare with all the other top brands. Orion, Saturn, Pro M, M birch, VX, QR and Q. The Q and the QR series being the "entry level" sets. VX and M birch the intermediate and the Orion, Saturn and Pro M are the Professional/advanced sets. I would put these sets up against any Pearl, Tama, Ludwig, etc. Mapex is obviously a newer drum company but they are climbing the charts in popularity and quality.

Animal

Thanks for feedback, both of you.
I agree Mapex is a "new" drum factory, and I remember back in the seventees when most of the Tama drums were also regarded as no good. And look what happened to them.

I was NOT taking the piss out of Mapex, it's just that they are not very common drums to play in my native country, so I was curious what the opinion was about the drums.

Thanks again! :D