• Yes

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Air Drum??? Can I get one on eBay?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mattdoesrock

Is it just me, or do most drummers continuously air drum? Well, ok, maybe not continuously but when ever your listening to a good song, or even something with an infectious beat (and of course have your arms free) you find yourself air drumming along? I no im horiffically guilty of this - not that its a bad thing of course... :D

Thoughts anyone?

EDIT: AS LOTS OF PEOPLE HAVE MENTIONED IT - THIS THREAD NOW INCLUDES DRUMMING ON TABLES / SURFACES ETC - Im so guilty...

zen_drummer

Irish":gvj1h5fu said:
A drummer that tells you they don't is a liar. heh
I don't think I've ever done it... I once was at a RUSH concert and there were about 4000 young men air drumming the entire show... not for note... it was AMAZING! I think it would be really cool if Neil Peart did a show with about 500 drummers playing along in the same fashion, wouldn't that be fun to watch?

And no, I'm not a liar, I honestly never did it! (I think air drumming started when I was older and I never saw the appeal)

Deanoatc

I agree, If Anyone says they don't air drum, and they are a drummer. They lie. If Iam not air drumming i am banging on tables or something. Crazy thing is I also air Guitar to some awesome songs.

Piddywiffle

Busted me =(

I've been yelled at to stop tapping or flailing my arms and hands about so many times now. bad thing is I really never notice that im doing it till someone says something... It's like those people who crack their knuckles or bite their nails.. It just becomes habitual.

drumtone

i love to airdrum!!. even before i was a drummer my mom was yelling at me to stop making noise with my utensils at dinner. and now, when im at work, its great because the guy i work with used to be a drummer and when somethin good comes on the radio we have airdrum solos and bang on the steamtables to the beats. its great!

lousypadrummer

I don't so much anymore as when I was a kid. I used to drive people nuts, banging on everything in sight. I do, however, get caught up in the moment at Rush or Dream Theatre concerts and "play" along.

tHeLoCuSt

haha yeah man , does any one tap there fingers on the table doing beats, i use to do that all day at school i use to get so told off

Eliminator

i always think air drumming is a good way to practice if you cant get at a kit, if you have to learn songs then u can just grab a pair of sticks and play along, helps u physically.

Majestyfan

Of course i air drum... I practically learned how to play the drums through air drumming and watchiong other drummers. My friends use to tell me that if my knees were drums, I'd be rich. LOL
So when I finallt did get a kit... I already had all the basics covered.

in addition to air drumming, I've also been known to air guitar and air bass... all in one song!

drummerboi4life

There is nothing wrong wit air drummin. I do all the time. In the car and at home. Just pick up a pair of sticks and go at it. It works better if you visualize that you are hitting actual drums and not let the sticks drop but do it as tho you are hittin actual drums. And try to wat you would do on a normal set in the air. Like rudiments and rolls and everything. It also works as a quick upper body work out. It allows you to become quicker too. Trust me. I know for a fact.

zen_drummer

Deanoatc":3bb2a5xb said:
I agree, If Anyone says they don't air drum, and they are a drummer. They lie. If Iam not air drumming i am banging on tables or something. Crazy thing is I also air Guitar to some awesome songs.
Honestly, I have never done it!

Tapping on the desk at school... now that's another matter entirely, I'm guilty of that... is that really air drumming?

When I think of Air drumming all I can picture is the sea of drummers at a a Rush concert "playing along".

I was at a Buddy Rich Concert in a pretty small venue when I was 15 or 16 years old, and a kid in the audience was air drumming along to "Mercy, Mercy". At the end of the song, Buddy said to the kid "Stop that, you look like an idiot, plus you're really distracting..." The kid stopped immediately, and the show went on.

Maybe that's why I don't do it... because Buddy thought it looked stupid and he was a huge influence on me... who knows, but seriously, no lie... I don't air drum!

dougthedrummer

zen_drummer":1fykoiq3 said:
Irish":1fykoiq3 said:
A drummer that tells you they don't is a liar. heh
I don't think I've ever done it... I once was at a RUSH concert and there were about 4000 young men air drumming the entire show... not for note... it was AMAZING! I think it would be really cool if Neil Peart did a show with about 500 drummers playing along in the same fashion, wouldn't that be fun to watch?

And no, I'm not a liar, I honestly never did it! (I think air drumming started when I was older and I never saw the appeal)
I have seen
Mike Portnoy brings a person up from crowd to solo with him.

i've done it cycling down the street before.

I got some dirty looks, i think they thought i was showing off

non-drummers dont understand wot ur doing tho, so they seem to get scared.

sp4zium

i dont think i've ever air drummed... but I do tap on practically anything i can get close to... (eg books, tables, people =P... you'd be amazed how often i get told off >.< nobody understands drummers these days.)

grey_fox

Hell YES!

i always do it when i'm walking home, more so when it'ss dark and even harder when i am drunk! can get a few odd looks but oh well :roll:

ajppsc69

I've been yelled at to stop tapping or flailing my arms and hands about so many times now. bad thing is I really never notice that im doing it till someone says something... It's like those people who crack their knuckles or bite their nails.. It just becomes habitual.

Same here :oops:

DrummerByron

Oh hell yes I am constantly air drumming with out without sticks in my hand. The room could be dead silent and a song or rhythm pops in my head and my arms just start to move, it's almost involuntary. Any drummer that tells you he/she does not do it is a liar (with the possible exception of zen, although I do think tapping on a surface counts). It is good to hone your skills and you should not be ashamed of doing it.

drummerboi819

Piddywiffle":xqw7nbx5 said:
Busted me =(

Same thing with me! I always am told in class to stop tapping or hitting my feet. I don't even notice I do it!! The one I am most guilty of is air double-bassing on the floor..it has helped though. I have gotten much better at double-bass just doing it away from a kit..cause you mess with different patterns without pissing everyone in the neighborhood off! :lol: