ahead drumsticks v.s. wood

drummer dave

any thoughts on this??? i prefer wood,ahead sticks just dont seem to feel right to me an i have a problem with em warping......

Danny Meazell

The very best most durable sticks I have found are the Pro-Mark 747 wood tip in Japan Oak. The Japan Oak is harder and a lot tighter more durable weaved grain. These are great sticks. The 747 is a thinner stick but is longer. It is the stick used by Rush drummer, Neil Pert. This stick is the best in my book!!
I only use the ones made from Japan Oak! This is also the stick my friend Bugs Henderson's legendary drummer Linda Wareing uses. In fact truth be told it was Miss Linda that got me started using this stick!

Danny

drummert2k

drumshark":3ltyhqjk said:
Wooden, aheads feel weird and my damage the cymbals.
actually, ahead sticks will do no more damage to your cymbals than any other sticks. you're hitting the cymbal with a plastic that is much softer than the cymbal. actually, even softer than wood. you just have to make sure you replace the sleeves before they wear through.

ahead doesnt feel as good as wood though. i find them a little top heavy.

drummert2k":1fp1dwig said:
drumshark":1fp1dwig said:
Wooden, aheads feel weird and my damage the cymbals.
actually, ahead sticks will do no more damage to your cymbals than any other sticks. you're hitting the cymbal with a plastic that is much softer than the cymbal. actually, even softer than wood. you just have to make sure you replace the sleeves before they wear through.

ahead doesnt feel as good as wood though. i find them a little top heavy.
agreed.

johnmc2k

I prefare wood sticks. I had the Joey Jordison and they were a waste of time and money. I think I was more into the novilty of having sticks that looked cool.

Blond_Duke

I use Vic Furth with nylon tips by default but i have a pair of ahead i use when i want a certen sound from my cymbals or drums.

drummerboi

i agree with Danny Meazell, i like the promark japanese oak sticks, though i use the japanese oak 5A. The 747 are too long for me. But the Japanese Oak is a very solid wood and is worth every penny.

Naicitrom

I bought a pair of Aheads, loved them, and would still be using them if one didn't snap after 3 months.
£30 I'll never see again...

Eiren

Haha... the drummer for the band I do vocals in snapped one of his Ahead sticks last night at practice. The metal just sheered in half. He has been using them for about 9 months though, so not bad.

Naicitrom

Same as mine.
Took 'em straight back to the shop and asked if they had any kind of gaurantee and they told me no...
My advice is don't waste money on a pair of £30 sticks when I get more life from a £5 pair of cheap wooden ones...

Damagedrummer

I never tried the AHEADS, but I did use carbosticks for awhile. They last for about 2 months orso, where I used to break a pair of sticks every week, so that was a big improvement. Nowadays my technique has somewhat improved, so I play much longer with the same stick. After using the carbosticks for awhile, I got back to wood, and the minute I played them i was like: Oh right, this is what drumming felt like! I never played carbon again.

And besides, I always get this warm fuzzy feeling in my stomage, when buying and playing with brand new shiny sticks! :p

big_richard90

I personly prefer wood drum sticks to plastic, i think they feel much nicer and are much more suitable, and cheaper.
however i still think that the best drum sticks available are carbosticks, thyr made of carbon(obviously) and they feel a lot like wood, iv had my pair for over a year and no sign of breakage:p
i recomend them to everybody

OzThrasher

johnmc2k":krzuf5lf said:
I prefare wood sticks. I had the Joey Jordison and they were a waste of time and money. I think I was more into the novilty of having sticks that looked cool.
I'll take em off your hands??? I love the JJ ones.

*note I also use Vic Firth 2B's for certain songs. (Different feel and sound than Aheads)

Conor

well ahead does have a much greater durability, and i found that the joey jordison models dont warp. the only draw back with the ahead sticks is that they sound bad. if your a hard hitter and needs durabilty try silver fox or promark japanese oak sticks.

xdoseonex

I always used vic firth stick and swore by them. but i also used to break alot of sticks. after breaking through my share of american classic 5a's i decided to switch to vater. which i found alot more durable and a much better stick in general, but i still find myself breaking them alot . i really wanted a pair of sticks i could keep around for a while and always have on hand, so i bought a pair of aquarians graphite composite sticks. which transfer vibrtion like crazy but after getting used to there was something about them i kinda liked. so i added them to my stick bag and continued my search. the day before yestwerday i took a trip to sam ash to get some skins and started looking through the ahead sticks while i was there, after taking them out of the package and feeling them out, i decided the joey jordinson model fit my preference best.it seems around the width of a 5a, but maybe a little thinner, (though i hate the fact that it says slipknot on my stick) i found these sticks to reduce hand fatigue,a .last forever, and the shoulder of the stick sounds great when im doing all my bell patterns. im still planning on ordering a brick of vaters. therer is no substitute for wood. but i would definately reccomemnd these sticks. if for nothing else just to keep around so you always have a pair

kazzman

Add another user for the Pro-Mark Japanese Oak sticks. I've tried Ahead sticks in the past and although I did like the response they gave, they felt a little too top heavy for me (as also previously mentioned). I'm still thinking of buying a pair or two though for experimental purposes.