Ahead drum sticks are a pain, Can someone help me?

drumschick07

So, I've had my ahead drum sticks for about 4 months. I went and got some new sleeves for them yesterday. All the guys @ guitar center are telling me "ohh its so easy to change the sleeves, they'll go on by just heating the sleeves up". I get home pull out my blow dryer had the sleeve so hot it should have slid right on but it didn't. I tried for over an hour to get it on. I even used my dads heating tool to get it on. And this thing gets hot, It could actually melt it. So I tried for over an hour and a half, got frustrated, and decided to quit. I have about an inch and a half left for the sleeve to go on. I love the sticks but if its going to be this hard to get the stupid sleeves on then I might just quit using them.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any tips for getting the dang thing on? HEEELLLP!!

drummert2k

they are a pain. takes some patients and elbow greese. but i've never heard of heating them. they're meant to have a super tight fit so they dont spin or anything when you play so i would think heating might cause them to loosen and possibly warp making it hard to get them. i've used them off and on for years and never heard of heating them. anyone out there able to shed some light on this? or do we have to get the myth buster guys to do an episode on heating the sleeves?

Drumming_Animal

right then ahead sticks...
yes you are right to heat up the new covers before putting them on the actual sticks, this causes the covers to expand slightly, then when it cools down it goes back to its original shape giving a perfect tight fit. Excuse the 'geekyness' heh heh im doing some exams in the summer so i need some knowledge eh?
I havnt heard of the problem where the cover dosent go on even when it is heated. This is what i might suggest

1. You have the wrong size cover, look on the aluminium handle part of the stick and on the somewhere it will either say ST, MT or LT. Make sure the covers you get are the ones that are on your stick handle eg if you have MT written on your handle then you need to get MT covers

2. You're not heating them properly, i used my mums hairdryer for this, its one hell of a powerful thing, stick it in a jet fighter and away you go!! anyway back to the point, what i did was hold the end with a towel and put the hairdryer on maximum and made sure i covered all of the cover until it started to flop around in my hand rather than just stay upright

4. Make sure the 'spacer ring' is on the stick when you put the new covers on, this is the little metal ring that goes between the actual handle and the cover

3. Make sure you put it on properly, once you have heated the cover and while its still hot put it on the stick, careful not to burn your hands, then while it is still hot grab the stick by the cover, maybe with a towel, oven glove or something then hit the butt of the stick (the end of the handle) on a hard surface a couple of time to seat it on nicely, leave it to cool down, then get the tip, put it on and screw it on 2 turns, get some superglue, i used some instant dry stuff, and put a small amount of superglue on the threads and screw on your tip until its flush with the cover, dont over tighten it, the superglue keeps it on

Hope ive helped cause it took bloody ages to type that!! :D

drumschick07

Thanks for your replies! We might have found the problem then.
I FINALLY got them on after heating them to death. But the guys at guitar center told me you could change the taper of the sleeves. It that true? Will they come off?lol

Well mine are changed now! I hope I am able to get them off in the future!
The sticks came with ST and now I have LT.

yeah, they are a bit annoying at times, but the aggrivation is better than the price of dozens of sets of wooden sticks that i would have broken by now. i love my ahead sticks

anavrinIV

drumschick07":i508qyhq said:
Thanks for your replies! We might have found the problem then.
I FINALLY got them on after heating them to death. But the guys at guitar center told me you could change the taper of the sleeves. It that true? Will they come off?lol

Well mine are changed now! I hope I am able to get them off in the future!
The sticks came with ST and now I have LT.
well, thats your problem right there....the taper of the stick wont change, youre just stretching the sleve which is where your original problem arose from.

next time use the sts and you shouldnt have a problem.

Sway

Hey bro i used to break sticks all the time at least 3 every show. So i decided to upgrade to 2B's and then those were still breaking. I found out though that if you wrap em with electrical tape like in marching band they last for freakin ever! And you still get that wood sound out of em to.