After 1 year of playing

luiss009

I've been playing the drums for about one year already and i would like to know what songs i should be able to play or what songs you guys could play after a year

no double bass ones please , i dont have one

anavrinIV

theres no specific place you should be at because everyone learns at a different pace. ive been playing almost 3 and a half years and im mostly trying to learn dream theater and rush kind of stuff but its still really hard for me. have you been taking lessons or are you self taught? i took lessons for over 2 years and i think that they got me to progress much more quickly than i would have if i taught myself.

luiss009

im self taught

im learning la villa strangiato for music class

but i just wanted to no where otheres were

screamkevin

Luis,

Congrats on learning a difficult Rush song! There's really no way to guage where you "should" be after a year of drumming, everyone learns at their own speed. As long as you feel that you are making progress and getting better, than that's right where you should be.

Keep up the great work,and happy drumming!

evolusean

latin GROOVES!!!!!!!!!!! wow, ive been playing for 3 years and i got interested in latin grooves like 6 months ago. now. i feel more versatile and free. kinda more like a set drummer :)

rockon2112yyz

well if your'e already learning la villa strangelo, I would suggest more rush songs. the ones with easy time signatures are off the second album fly by night. Neil didn't join the band until the second album. Dream Theater has some hard songs too, the only trouble is finding one that dosen't need a double bass. I would also suggest expanding your styles into latin or jazz to become a well-rounded drummer.

WhiteOleander

evolusean":v1sf9pd3 said:
latin GROOVES!!!!!!!!!!! wow, ive been playing for 3 years and i got interested in latin grooves like 6 months ago. now. i feel more versatile and free. kinda more like a set drummer :)
I second that, after a year of drumming I thought I could master just about anything.. then I got myself a teacher and asked him to teach me Latin and Jazz beats.. it's like a whole new world has opened up to me =p

Stimpy

It all depends what type of music you want to learn. If you listen to Tool and try and learn some of their songs then you will find it easier to grasp different time signatures. After learning some Tool i found it alot easier to come up with some more interesting beats rather than the basic 4/4, 3/3 etc.

luiss009

la villa strangiato has some pretty fd up time signatures

lol i kinda learned almost everything by rush
and done some tool

and i am of latin descent so my dad puts on his latin songs but its usually timbales and stuff like that

i would like the names of some latin artists/songs or websites where i can find latin grooves that can be played on the drumset

or some jazz songs

DrummerforCSD

I'm self-taught and i've played drums since last summer and I know and can play Nickelbacks cd "For all the right reasons" by heart. And some Fallout Boy and a little bit of Rush. BTW if anyone wants to chat on myspace my URL is www.myspace.com/1Sophomore look me up and add me :D

dougthedrummer

my suggestion is to take some lessons.Your teacher will gauge where he thinks you are at,and go from there.If you don't want to take lessons..try some stuff from Iron Maiden.He plays single pedal stuff though sometimes it sounds like he has 4 feet kicking away.Alot of their older stuff is good heavy stuff,and their recent stuff has gone a little more melodic(but still very heavy).

Flatliner

I don't use songs to really gauge how good I am, after about 3 months I was capable of learning rush songs and anything on the radio, however I didn't use that to see how good I am. For instance I don't play guitar but show me the tab of a song(just about anything that's slower than 16th's at 200bpm) and in a day I can play it. Learning songs is important to some poeple I've just never though you should judge yourself by who you can play. There's a big difference between playing what someone has already created and creating something yourself.

I've taken lessons for a long time and I'm really of the classical music mindset where one should learn from a teacher and work on technique and developing the tools to express yourself. Learning La villa strangiato will benefit you but it won't really help you on your technique and the more advanced you get the more important it will become versus if you learned virgil donati's drum part from dog boots. Also I am impressed you have learned so many rush songs, there's a lot of double bass in a lot of the latter stuff (so I'll take those out) and 18 albums* at least 6 songs=108 songs...wow.

Get a teacher and you'll be amazed how weak your drumming will seem compared to what you thought you could do.

I want to stress that I'm not putting you down because I think it may come across that way. You are on the right track with your playing for sure. I just have very strong opinions when it comes to music education, and much of what I say has as much do about my opinion on my own skill level I'm sure. Many drummers learn the way you are, but amost all of the best at some point had to sit down and work on technique at some point and it always seems as you get older you wish you had studied technique more when you were younger. Don't let the fire die inside your belly, instead look at technique and other genre's as fire wood for when it starts dieing.

As for music:
You seem to have enough of the rock stuff
so how bought some jazz?
I think miles davis had some of the best druming on his albums, and of course dave brubeck's album Time Out is amazing as well, my favorite song on it is Blue Rondo A La Turk

Gaddabout

After one year, I think you should be able to:

- Keep simple time with a collection of musicians of your experience level

- Play along to most songs on the radio

- Play the basic 40 rudiments cleanly at a moderate tempo

I now suggest you find yourself an instructor and make the leap to intermediate. The suggestion for learning Caribbean and South American grooves is a good one. I would also suggest looking at some systems, maybe some funk grooves. Some books that might help you along the way:

- The Complete Modern Drum Set by Frank Briggs
- Polyrhythms for the Drum Set by Pete Magadini
- Linear Time Playing by Gary Chaffee
- Art of Bop Drumming and Beyond Bop Drumming, both by John Riley

I suggest finding an instructor experienced teaching Stick Control by George Stone and the Syncopation book by Ted Reed. I've never seen or heard of a top level drummer who hasn't studied out of one or the other. Stick Control in particular has a bazillion unwritten applications that have been passed down orally that you will probably never unlock without an instructor.

Have fun. You are about to embark one one of the most exciting and challenging periods of your life. You are going to be opened up to new ideas. As you improve, the more you will discover new stuff that will blow your mind!

torkid47

- Play the basic 40 rudiments cleanly at a moderate tempo

Work on the first 26 to start. These are the old school.
Learning songs is fun but to be great you need to learn your rudiments.

One can not bulid a house without first cutting the stones.

Gaddabout

torkid47":2paeknfp said:
Work on the first 26 to start. These are the old school..
I think you'd be hard pressed to find a copy of the 26 basic rudiments, because PAS approved another 14 about a decade ago. They added an assortment of rolls (15- and 17-stroke) more diddles (triple paradiddle, single paradiddle-diddle) and a whole array of long-established flam rudiments (such as the swiss and mill flam regimens).

PAS now refers to the Basic 40, although I think I saw an official PAS copy that denoted the original 26.

luiss009

i did have a drum teacher for a few months and he helped with technique and got me to play snare songs out of a book

but i went away for the summer and did not touch my drums for about 2 months and have not got lessons ever since. i will get back into them soon

thanks for all the advice guys keep it coming

and yeah i was getting bored with rock
theres not a lot to offer

Danjita Drummer

Hard to say dude. After a year I was already in bands and gigging! I'd recomend just listening to the drummers in the bands that you like, and listen out for what their doing. I was a big Chad Smith fan, and after 1/2 a year i was woring on ghost notes and fancy kick drum work, but we all learn at different paces. If you are finding something hard though STICK AT IT! It all comes together in the end. Took me a month to work out a drum and bass/jungle beat in 7/8! love it!
Danny