advise on drum lessons

MeekaFlow

iv been taking lessons from a dude thats never givin lessons. i dont feel real confortable with him. should get another teacher?

BillRayDrums

MeekaFlow":nek6ozj0 said:
iv been taking lessons from a dude thats never givin lessons. i dont feel real confortable with him. should get another teacher?
Not necessarily. See what he can offer you. If your playing improves, then he's a good teacher.

Brother_Bong

Are you getting anything out of it? If so, and hes not charging you an arm and a leg, stick with him for now. Besides, you as the student may help him become a better teacher. Plus, if this teacher doesn't have a tired old way of teaching (after doing it for so many years), then maybe they might have a fresher approach.

mortem

mm that depends. I'll share with you my case... I just got invited to give lessons at a music academy a month ago (no prior experience). This kinda creeped me out since I am 85% self-taught (so I basically had no idea on how to teach), nevertheless, I decided to go for it. Right now I only have two students and so far both of them are really happy with me. One of em is an experienced 13 year-old kid who told me- 'this is exactly what I was looking for' and the other one is an 8 year-old boy who's been progressing really fast.

So, bottom line, experience does count in a teacher, but don't base your judgment entirely on that... give him some time and see if you're still uncomfortable.

kErmit vOn zOmbie

If you don't feel comfortable with him then look for alternatives. Just because he's never taught before though doesn't mean that he can't teach you. Give him a chance while you look elsewhere.