ADVICE

GIBson

i've been trying to edjucate myself about cymbals and what not and i know i should just go to the store and try a bunch out but the best drum store is wuite a ways away for me, so i was wondering if u could give me a little advice on picking a new crash cymbal. i was look at AA x-plosions but theres soo manny. what are your favorites and what should i look for when i go? any help making this purchase would be greatly appreciated cheers!

SGarrett

If you want a great all-around crash for a good price, the AAX-Plosion is an outstanding choice. I've used them everywhere from indie rock, to adult pop/rock, to metal. I use a 16" and 19" AAX-Plosion, an 18" AAX Metal Crash, 13" HHX Stage Hats, and a 21" AA Rock Ride. I also have a 12" AAX Metal Splash that I hardly ever use and an 18.5" Chad Smith signature crash that an old band mate broke. Speaking of which, if you want a big cymbal with a high pitch the Chad crash is great.

SGarrett

A Customs are great cymbals, but there are three things I don't personally like about them. 1) No individuality to the cymbals (every 16" A Custom sounds the same as the next), 2) small bells, and 3) slightly gongy sound at lower playing volumes. That said, they were designed by Vinnie and are used on a lot of major label signed kits.

GIBson

SGarrett":1utu7wxb said:
If you want a great all-around crash for a good price, the AAX-Plosion is an outstanding choice. I've used them everywhere from indie rock, to adult pop/rock, to metal. I use a 16" and 19" AAX-Plosion, an 18" AAX Metal Crash, 13" HHX Stage Hats, and a 21" AA Rock Ride. I also have a 12" AAX Metal Splash that I hardly ever use and an 18.5" Chad Smith signature crash that an old band mate broke. Speaking of which, if you want a big cymbal with a high pitch the Chad crash is great.

i've narrowed it down..out of these two choices what would say is a better value and i will be happier with, thanks for your help in all my thread btw garrett peace

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=446538

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ ... sku=444497

SGarrett

You're welcome. Glad I could help. :)

I played Z Customs for a long time and they can sound really good. I'm just more of a Sabian guy now because they seem to be more musical to my ear than Zildjians. If it were me, I'd get the Metal-X pack.