advice on playing a song live

seandude

me and my friends are going to play rock and roll by led zep any advice on how i should plau
ive got it down but anything i should know?

amontholdDrums

Dont worry too much about playing it as much as having fun playing it.. the idea shouldnt be thought about too much.. just enough that its steady and your having fun.. if your not having fun.. theres no point.. and honestly.. if you play it different then bonzo did.. thats fine really if your having fun.. but beware of the audience.

Portnoy4596

amontholdDrums":2rh9ui7b said:
Dont worry too much about playing it as much as having fun playing it.. the idea shouldnt be thought about too much.. just enough that its steady and your having fun.. if your not having fun.. theres no point.. and honestly.. if you play it different then bonzo did.. thats fine really if your having fun.. but beware of the audience.

Agreed 100% you can change some things but you have to be careful bonham being bonham you may have the hardcore fans a little annoyed if you change to much but besides that have fun with it and don't gas yourself out as soon as the song starts just play like your jammin have fun dude

break the prism

i say get a feel for the original groove and run with it. no-one plays like bonham when they try too hard too imitate him. from my experience, just feeling it out gives you a more authentic bonham sound.

m

the intro to that song is one of the most misinterpreted licks in cover-song history, but that's OK I guess.

Have fun~ cool choice!
where are you guys playing it?

kErmit vOn zOmbie

m":2dkxg0cn said:
the intro to that song is one of the most misinterpreted licks in cover-song history, but that's OK I guess.

Have fun~ cool choice!
where are you guys playing it?
Bonham actually copped the Hi-Hat intro from Little Richards "Keep a Knockin" played by Charles Connor. As for playing it, relax and enjoy it, feed off of the guitar and most of all have a blast with the solo at the end. Show em your stuff!!!!!

seandude

well how should i play it i wanna get it right

its at my schools little music perfromance night, im already playing in jazz band pep band and voices group

Spydr2000

PM me your email I have the drum solo at half speed so you can figure it out and play it the right way if you want.

BLS2112

seandude":2h530bne said:
me and my friends are going to play rock and roll by led zep any advice on how i should plau
Someone mentioned the intro being very misinterpreted...Yup...As is the groove...
Normally I would suggest getting a good "feel" & keep it "somewhat" faithful to the original...(I would still take this approach to the closing solo)
However it is "Bonham"...
People will dig it if you nail it... :wink:
And hard-core "Bonham dudes" may throw tomatoes at you... :shock:
I know...I played in a very successful Zep' tribute band (Stainless steel Ludwigs, Paistes, gong, tympani and all)
I even played matched-style grip for this gig...
The "note police" were at every gig...(And most were after my gig...lol)
Made me REALLY appreciate many of Bonhams "subtleties" in his grooves...
Some I had never noticed until tossed into that gig...The "hidden factors"...
But I still hate Vodka... :roll:

It counts in quite weird...More than likely an "accident"...
It's as if it were four bars of 4/4 followed by one bar of 3/8 then you're in...
Intro as Played:
1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+1+2+3+4+123
<**<**<*<**<**<*<**<***<**<*<*<<<<<

As for the groove...If one listens closely Bonzo is playing "lazy" quarter notes on the hats and eighth notes on the snare...(For the most part)
The Bass Drum:
Two eighth notes on count one/ rest on two/ Half note on count three /rest on four...
However...Obviously the bass drum fluctuates along the phrases...
To "1+ +3 " for example...
Left hand on snare as follows: (Eighth notes)
1+2+3+4+
**<***<*
* ="ghost notes"
> =Accented notes but of coarse...
Right hand HH: (Quarter notes)
1 2 3 4

It's like an "Un-shuffled Detroit/Texas Shuffle"...

One of the most simplistic Zep' songs...Not so difficult...Just not the "Norm" Rock groove...

Have fun...
All the best...Barrie

DDubbDrummer

Lock into the Pocket, don't stray away for too long if possible maybe? Feeling the song and paying attention to what the other musicians are doing. Also putting visual energy out but not letting inhibit a good musical performance. Not overplaying, and within reason, hitting the signature licks on challenging parts or fills i.e. intro fill to "Sober" by TOOL. Have a freakin great time doing it cause you love it. Drums Rule!!!!

goatatl

Having played it about a bazillion times. and it seems like any time I see it written out, it's always written in some kind of weird 6/8 that starts on an "and"... I've always played it as 3 fours and a six, Which is particularly fun to throw at a guitar player who's not used to counting higher than four: but I probably don't play it right anyway, past that intro

G

kErmit vOn zOmbie

If you really really want to nail it, rent the Song Remains the Same DVD, it's the opening musical track. You get some good close ups and see how Led Zeppelin actually played the song live. Good footage of the solo at the end. While you've got the DVD you should also check out Moby Dick as well. It's about 14 minutes of pure drum fun minus the cows. Enjoy!

Erbmule

Yeah, it's always a little hairy playing those "classic" tunes live and boy did you guys hit the nail on the head about having those musicians in the audience just waiting for you to mess up...lol ah.. I do it too... :oops:

I won't add anything to the advice just reiterate, have fun, play loose and play for you and your band...the rest will get on board once they see you guys having fun....that's why they call it PLAYING music!!..

One of my fav Bonzo tunes lately is The Rover..love that intro ..give it a listen, you will love it!

-Tom E.

JAdrums2k

I've played that song for years... both the recorded & "Song Remains The Same" version.

Stay as close to the original version as you can, it's a pretty easy groove. Keep the hi-hats smokin throughout the song. The only part I've ever changed playing it live is the end... of cousre the drum solo.
Generally I'll start it like the record & extend it for a more modern update...

But I do agree with a lot of the other posts... relax into the groove of the song,
Bonham was not a basher... his genius is the beats you can't hear right off

ive been playing guitar for 17 years just get confident in your playing and you will do great and dont be to hard on yourself if you dont get everything perfect

were our own worst cridics

FiestyRedDrummEr

seandude":2uhvd4e2 said:
very good song. Play it the way you feel it!
If youre going to cover something that was done by musical GODS then you gotta feel what they were trying to do when they did it.
Be passionate. and play it the way you hear it. Don't be afraid to stray from the orginal a bit, its your cover, its your take on their art. If you play it beat for beat, note for note it wont be as interesting.

drumluv

The clue is in the title of the song. It 's a rock'n'roll song. Get that straight/swinging rock'n'roll type feel and lay it down fat and groovy. A good thing to do is check out the live version and pick up on some of the accents Bonzo plays with the vocals in verses three and four. There are hardly any fills as such.
Have a blast and think Valhalla at all times.
J