Advice on first drumset

GnarL

my favourite first kit was a premier olympic rock kit its got realy good shells, just the hardware lets it down

skitch

I am not going to recommend brands. My general guideline is this: good drums and better cymbals.

What I mean by this is you can take an average set of drums and make them sound better by head selection, tuning and the like. You can do nothing to fix bad sounding cymbals and this why I always recomend finding top quality Zildjians, Paistes or Sabians (ok - so I contradicted myself) used on Ebay or at the local mom and pop store or even, (gasp!) at Giutar center. What you are wanting to eliminate here is reasons why you won't go in and sit down at your kit!

jonblaze

skitch":25r7avtr said:
I am not going to recommend brands. My general guideline is this: good drums and better cymbals.

What I mean by this is you can take an average set of drums and make them sound better by head selection, tuning and the like. You can do nothing to fix bad sounding cymbals and this why I always recomend finding top quality Zildjians, Paistes or Sabians (ok - so I contradicted myself) used on Ebay or at the local mom and pop store or even, (gasp!) at Giutar center. What you are wanting to eliminate here is reasons why you won't go in and sit down at your kit!
Ditto. I use a Groove Percussion kit, but I have some decent cymbals (paiste hats, Zildjian A's & K's, and Wuhan mini china). They sound good for what I do.