A Wide Pocket

FelterSkelter

I've been doing a little bit of gigging with a local band. After the show, amidst the routine post-show comments "good job" "awesome set".... I have heard at least twice from two different people that I have a WIDE POCKET. I understand it as a compliment however that's where my understanding halts. I've never really understood the term "pocket" no less "wide pocket" but I figured I'd ask everyone here. Is it the same as the "groove" we were speaking of in the other post?
Thanks in advance for clearing this up.

By the way, if anyone is in the Capital Region of NY in the next couple of weeks, come check out Lynch on the 16th of August in downtown Albany or check out their myspace.

BillRayDrums

Having a "wide pocket" would be kinda like yeah, you lay it down thick and syrupy!! It's easy to groove with someone with a "wide" pocket.

Yes this would all revolve around "groove".

FelterSkelter

One would want to have a wide pocket then, no?
I have a feeling pockets are beyond explanation by word. Unless we're speaking of pants of course.
Very well. Thanks.

Could a wide pocket someday turn into a deep pocket? That remains to be seen.

astev13

FelterSkelter":z7ejq6se said:
I have a feeling pockets are beyond explanation by word. Unless we're speaking of pants of course.
Very well. Thanks.

LMAO....HA HA wow

Rob the Drummer

FelterSkelter":3hth6tgs said:
One would want to have a wide pocket then, no?
Very well. Thanks.

It could, but you really wanna watch out and not get a hole in your pocket.

Seriously though, any time you are in the pocket, it is a good thing.

dwtoast72

when someone says that you're in the pocket (never had to try and put in words) the best I can describe it is that, for one, you and the bass are deep into some groove, but in such a way that it's like the two of you wrote this stuff out and precordinated it to be absolutely perfect. No gaps between you and the bass, then the guitar can move right into where ever he wants to.
That could probably be the worst bunch of crap you've heard (or read) but work with me, here.

FelterSkelter

dwtoast72":2zb6o4vg said:
when someone says that you're in the pocket (never had to try and put in words) the best I can describe it is that, for one, you and the bass are deep into some groove, but in such a way that it's like the two of you wrote this stuff out and precordinated it to be absolutely perfect. No gaps between you and the bass, then the guitar can move right into where ever he wants to.
That could probably be the worst bunch of crap you've heard (or read) but work with me, here.
No that makes total sense actually. I play alongside a really sick bass player and I tend to work well with bass players. It's the most important part of playing live for me. Gotta hear that bass. Especially since the music is funk/hip-hop, it's major.
Anyway thanks. Sorry to sound like a fool.

Drumosaurus

okay ive played for about 6 years and I never really learned any drum terminology, so what the hell is a pocket? I always thought it was the distance between the snare and floor.

BillRayDrums

Drumosaurus":4z6i22d1 said:
okay ive played for about 6 years and I never really learned any drum terminology, so what the hell is a pocket? I always thought it was the distance between the snare and floor.

The "pocket" is how your notes lock up with the bass player and ultimately the entire band.

When you play one instrument (snare drum) against a steady metronomic pulse you have a pretty wide range of space "around" each pulse, or beat; like a mile marker on the highway, you hit them every so ofetn. (at 120bpm, you see two beats per second).

Now add all the rest of your kit to the fray. Does your hi-hat drag you down or uplift the rest of what you are doing? Where does your bass drum and snare drum lock in together?

All those little things to think of......