a snare for extreme metal

a58chevy

Basically I'm thinking I need a new snare. Just before my last band broke up I bought a Ddrum 13x7" Maple snare. It currently has a Aquarian Studio X head on it and a Remo snareside. It was perfect for the psychadelic rock I was a playing but now I think I need something with alot more projection.

I've just recently tapped on a mapex brass 13x3.5" snare that was pretty loud but I'm wondering if there isn't something better suited for my style. The music we play consists of a lot of blast beats, and I've just recently incoporated the gravity blast and right now on the snare I have it just dissapears in the mix. I have played around with the vented Spaun acrylic snare but at the time it wasn't what I was looking for. Basically I'd like to get a snare the would allow me to project the gravity blast if i was in a situation were I didn't have a mic. Vents would be ok if they did what most ppl claim. If I can't find a snare with of projection I'll probably end up triggering the snare, along with my kicks.

xdoseonex

I use a Ludwig supraphonic with a remo Fallam II kevlar head. it sounds perfect for metal. one thing i noticed about the kevlar head is it made my gravity blasts sound cleaner

pow3rtr1p

Pearl Joey Jordison snare, or the Pearl Ultracast if you are anti-Slipknot. Also a Pork Pie Littls Squealer or Pork Pie Big Black Brass would be good, too. Pretty much most drums with metal shells, or acrylic, will project better, in general, than a wood snare. Then, put the right heads on it and tune it right, and you can get the crack you're looking for.

ZaQ[MTG]

All you need is as follows...

Any Snare Drum.

A Snare Drum Head.

Proper Tuning.

This whole talk about certain drums for certain things is a little lame.

I can get My 14x6 OCDP Maple Snare Drum To Fit perfectly In jazz all the way to Speed metal.

Just by tuning it right.

No need to waist your money on new snare drums and rediculous kevlar heads.

xdoseonex

ZaQ[MTG said:
":27v81ils]All you need is as follows...

Any Snare Drum.

A Snare Drum Head.

Proper Tuning.

I can get My 14x6 OCDP Maple Snare Drum To Fit perfectly In jazz all the way to Speed metal.

Just by tuning it right.

and why are kevlar heads rediculous? I use a kevlar head and i love it. it gives me a perfect sound for metal.

rufus4dagruv

ZaQ[MTG said:
":2vayek15]All you need is as follows...

Any Snare Drum.

A Snare Drum Head.

Proper Tuning.

Just by tuning it right.

Eh, I think you're over-generalizing. Yes, theoretically you can use ANY snare in ANY situation. But, you can also use specific snares that may work better in certain situations. Different snares have different fundamental tones based on what they are made out of and their dimensions. The poster is looking for a suggestion based on his situation. Having an arsenal of snares to choose from can actually be a benefit.

BTW, I do not play metal so I am not the best to give advice on the topic. Remember head selection will play a big roll in the tone you're looking for. The kevlar heads can be tuned very, very tightly, if that is the kind of sound you are looking for. Are there any particular metal players whose sound you are trying to emulate?

ZaQ[MTG]

Its nice to finally talk to some people on this thing who know how to hold a contructive conversation.

Yes Kevlar heads do give you that tight poppy metal sound...no doubt.

I just personally dont like the way the sound.

Im a hardcore drummer.

i like a punchy sound drumms with a aggressive open snare tone.

i take pride in knowing my drums sound unique.

Why do most metal or death metal drummers want the same generic snare sound?

Howepirate

ZaQ[MTG said:
":1w3no30o]Its nice to finally talk to some people on this thing who know how to hold a contructive conversation.

Im a hardcore drummer.

Because unique is cliche. Being creative with the "usual" death metal sounding drums spawns consistency, precision, and ingenuity.

rufus4dagruv

Howepirate":ttlq00qz said:
ZaQ[MTG said:
":ttlq00qz]Its nice to finally talk to some people on this thing who know how to hold a contructive conversation.

Im a hardcore drummer.

Because unique is cliche. Being creative with the "usual" death metal sounding drums spawns consistency, precision, and ingenuity.
There is a valid point here. While creating a signature sound is something that many musicians want to achieve, it's helpful to have a solid understanding and ability to recreate your influences.

Getting back to the OP, his biggest concern is the inability to get a the snare to stand out while blasting. Assuming he/she has tried as many tuning options as possible and has not found a sound that works, looking for a new snare is not a bad idea. A deep steel shell may be the way to go. Also, like dose said, he's got a supra. I'm a big fan of aluminum shells myself. The fundamental nature of the metal actually produces a surprisingly warm tone with the ability to cut through.

I'm thinking that a deeper (6.5" or so) metal (steel, brass, or aluminum) snare with something like an Evans dry batter head will give you the volume and focus you're looking for. Just my $.02.

dbkman

ZaQ[MTG said:
":38q2140l]All you need is as follows...

Any Snare Drum.

A Snare Drum Head.

Proper Tuning.

Just by tuning it right.

Ya i mean, metal is alot more forgiving as far as drums go. but sonically, different snare drums and heads really do make a difference. I mean, if you want a nice fat maple sound, you cant get that out of a thin, single ply head, on a birch shell. little things like that make a difference. when you develope an ear to pick out those sonic subtleties, you'll see that it does make a difference. and in my opinion, a great line of snares for metal are the black panther series from mapex. i believe thats what chris adler uses. I own one and its a pistol! its great.

GrindheadJim

ZaQ[MTG said:
":1q4j22qd]All you need is as follows...

Any Snare Drum.

A Snare Drum Head.

Proper Tuning.

Just by tuning it right.

I couldn't have said it better.

Aside from the genre music you play, what sound are you really going for? That's the real question.

dahlgrendrummer

I use a maple snare for thrash/metal/death/whatever music, I do a lot of blasts and they come out really strong and consistent. Even gravity blasts come out pretty good on it. It's all in your technique and tuning, also, if you use REALLY loud cymbals, they may be over-powering your drums.

xdoseonex

GrindheadJim":9uvw82v0 said:
xdoseonex":9uvw82v0 said:
GrindheadJim":9uvw82v0 said:
dbkman":9uvw82v0 said:
certain snares and heads are better suited for different genres. end of story
amen
Sure. But, you didn't answer his question at all. Jeez.
your just not looking hard enough
*squinting* No, sorry - don't see any actual suggestions for snares.
I use a Ludwig supraphonic with a remo Fallam II kevlar head. it sounds perfect for metal. one thing i noticed about the kevlar head is it made my gravity blasts sound cleaner

a58chevy

Wow, I didn't really expect this response. I went back to maple snare for a few days... it was alright. I think I'm going to try slapping a Hi-Energy on my old steel Ludwig. I think it's a 14x5". Currently it has a Carmine Appice sig head on it, but it's a bit too ringy for me.

Also maybe it's just me but when tuning my maple snare cranking both the batter and reso seems to have killed the sound.. at least as far as the projection goes, but it make a really nice pop. When It was tuned to medium high and the reso was probaly a medium-loose things seemed to come out more. Could be I just think way too hard about shit.

As far as loud cymbals go, mostly what I'm blasting on is a 21" Sabian AA Rock Ride and a set of 14" AA Regular Hi-Hats.