A newbie that needs help !

stephenchong

Hi guys ! I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I'm a 15-year old guy that's in love with drums. Period. :D

I have been learning drum beats myself(self-taught) for around a year or so. Currently i can't get my own drumset and a drum teacher to teach me yet. Do you guys have any ways or methods/practices which you guys know that can help me improve myself in drumming ? Rock beats, anything ! I want to have at least some knowledge or skills before approaching and learning drums so i would advance and learn easier ?

I'm currently learning from videos posted on youtube and doing the Derek Roddy exercise. I practice rudiments i find on the internet on my dictionary. Lol. :wink:

So, do you guys have any tips and advice/recommendations ? Like getting rid of any bad habits ?

I moved this post here cause i didnt know which forum i should put this on. Help is greatly appreciated. Thanks ! :)

screamkevin

Welcome to the forums, and to drumming!

The best advice that I can give, after 34 years of playing is this: Get a teacher and practice, practice, practice.

Derek Roddy is awesome, but you need to learn the basics first. You gotta walk before you can run. There's lots of great advice here on DML, just comb through the forums, and don't be afraid to check out the "Drum Lessons" portion. Also some other awesome lessons can be found here: http://www.rockdrummingsystem.com/underground/

Some other tips:

1. LEARN TO READ MUSIC. You'll get a lot farther with drumming if you know the "language". It'll open up doors for you that will otherwise be locked. I cannot stress this enough.

2. Be patient. It takes time. Nothing comes overnight or instantly. It takes a lot of practice, hard work, and patience.

3. Listen to any kind of music you can get your hands on. You can learn something from everything, but you cannot learn everything from one thing.

Good luck, and keep playing!!

Brother_Bong

screamkevin":36ate4pe said:
Welcome to the forums, and to drumming!

The best advice that I can give, after 34 years of playing is this: Get a teacher and practice, practice, practice.

Derek Roddy is awesome, but you need to learn the basics first. You gotta walk before you can run. There's lots of great advice here on DML, just comb through the forums, and don't be afraid to check out the "Drum Lessons" potion. Also some other awesome lessons can be found here: http://www.rockdrummingsystem.com/underground/

Some other tips:

1. LEARN TO READ MUSIC. You'll get a lot farther with drumming if you know the "language". It'll open up doors for you that will otherwise be locked. I cannot stress this enough.

2. Be patient. It takes time. Nothing comes overnight or instantly. It takes a lot of practice, hard work, and patience.

3. Listen to any kind of music you can get your hands on. You can learn something from everything, but you cannot learn everything from one thing.

What he said, emphasis on PATIENCE!!!!!

Also don't listen to negative criticism, people you should listen to will always be critical in a positive way.

GOOD LUCK, AND WELCOME.

JAdrums2k

screamkevin":1e6ihvjl said:

Damn good advice!!

Sounds like you got a good start.... keep with the videos and the internet info til you can get formal lessons.
Watch & learn. And keep an open mind to all different styles

stephenchong

Hey. Thanks guys for the warm welcome. I knew i did not come to the wrong forum. :)

Thanks for the advice on practice and drum language. I have downloaded a Drummer Essential book thing from the internet and adapting to the notes and beats in that book.

I have another question though. I am a right handed and i have some problems with the usage of my left hand. My left hand cant seem to move as quickly as my right, and sometimes i find my left hand not using the wrist but the whole arm to keep up with my right hand when i'm jamming with my band. My left hand grip is also not very comfortable and it sweats alot after just holding the sticks for 5 mins. I'm using the matched grip. I'm currently using Vic Firth 5ANs. I've tried 7As and 5Bs, but i feel that 5As is just the right size for me. Is there any ways that i can overcome this problem ? Or am I just doing the Derek Roddy exercise wrong ? Or should i just change grip for my left hand ? Its best if i need not change grip for this though.

Thanks again for the help !

screamkevin

Stephen,

You're just beginning, and what you're discovering is that your left hand is not your dominant hand. It's natural for a beginning drummer, just like the first time you sit down at a double-bass kit. You'll find that your left foot will be sluggish.

What you need to do is build up the strength and durability of your left side. Remember what I said above?

You'll get it. Just hang in there and experiment until you find what works for you. Don't overanalyze it. :wink:

stephenchong

screamkevin":1xzxn7vx said:
Stephen,

You're just beginning, and what you're discovering is that your left hand is not your dominant hand. It's natural for a beginning drummer, just like the first time you sit down at a double-bass kit. You'll find that your left foot will be sluggish.

What you need to do is build up the strength and durability of your left side. Remember what I said above?

You'll get it. Just hang in there and experiment until you find what works for you. Don't overanalyze it. :wink:
Gee. :? Okay then, i think i'll play some more to get used to drumming ? More practice makes perfect i guess. Thanks for the repeated advice, its in my head now. :D