A Little Kick

FelterSkelter

I want to make more of an accesorized and less of a traditional setup. I've decided to take an old crappy 16" drum and make it a kick. I will have a repair tech friend help.

Should there be anything to note as far as drilling, recommended parts (legs)?
It'll be the first project of this sort for me.
Thanks.

FelterSkelter

Yeah I figured that, but I have an old drum already with no intentions of ever using it for anything else. I can get the legs for probably next to nothing, so that isn't an issue either. Trying to keep it a fairly cost-free metamorphosis from regular to mini kit.

screamkevin

You may want to try www.drumgearonline.com for some parts then. I'd look for extra-long legs, you may be able to find them somewhere. But you are going to need some sort of riser for the drum, as your pedal won't strike anywhere near the center of the drum as-is.

FelterSkelter

They (friends of mine) did it to another drum and I don't think they used a "riser" but I'm not so sure now. It definitely makes sense though. I'll have to check on that, thanks. I did find a wood hoop for the drum so that's one less thing I'll have to buy.
It's gonna be an experiment with some chop shop engineering. I'm not really into perfection aesthetically as long as functionability is prime.

FelterSkelter

The mini kick is complete. I'm at work right now so I'll post pics later.
We did end up brazing a small bracket to the batter hoop in order to raise it. Then I had to modify my pedal because the beater wasn't touching the head and the footboard was bottoming out but, I think I worked it all out. YAY!!!

FelterSkelter

By the way, I obviously couldn't find a 16" Kick head anywhere so I ended up just throwing a clear Remo Pinstripe on for now.
I was thinking of putting an Ebony Pinstripe as I like the way I can tune it on my 14" floor tom.

Does anyone have any different suggestions on heads to give this more of a kick quality?
I understand that it's only 16" and it is NOT going to sound like my normal bass drum pitchwise, but I'm looking for suggestions tonewise (preferably EVANS, I've been digging their heads a little more lately).
THANKS!

screamkevin

I'd suggest choosing a 2-ply clear head for the batter, a 1 ply clear for the reso, and adding a Remo Muff'l to the batter head. It's the closest you'll get to an EMad-type of setup. Glad to hear you've figured this thing out!!

FelterSkelter

viewimage.php
[/url][/img]

FelterSkelter

I've not put a reso head on it yet. I'm gonna see if I can make it work without it since I've already taken the complete bottom assembly off. It may be ok for what I use it for.

NEXT UP, STAY TUNED AS I PUT FLOOR TOM LEGS ON MY 12" RACK TO MAKE THE MOST RETARDED KIT EVER!!!