A little info about multiple band shows

SmellsLikeIan

When there's no backline, and every drummer has to provide their own kit, please set up/break down your kit offstage. Put your cymbals on/take them off their stands offstage. Take drums out of their cases and put them on/take them off the stands offstage. I have seen way too many people, even seasoned veteran players breaking down the entire kit while still on stage (even going so far as to completely fold cymbal stands and put the cymbals back in the bag) when there's a band after them and they start cutting into other people's set up/playing time. To me this is just common sense, or as Spock would put it, logical and may perhaps even allow your band to squeeze another song into the set.... :mrgreen:

Empyrean Drums

SmellsLikeIan":2pm3f2g0 said:
When there's no backline, and every drummer has to provide their own kit, please set up/break down your kit offstage. Put your cymbals on/take them off their stands offstage. Take drums out of their cases and put them on/take them off the stands offstage. I have seen way too many people, even seasoned veteran players breaking down the entire kit while still on stage (even going so far as to completely fold cymbal stands and put the cymbals back in the bag) when there's a band after them and they start cutting into other people's set up/playing time. To me this is just common sense, or as Spock would put it, logical and may perhaps even allow your band to squeeze another song into the set.... :mrgreen:
Yeah, but I'm starting to wonder why they call it "common" sense in the first place. There's at least one band at every show who can't seem to figure it out.

It’s nice to have someone around acting as a stage manager, and a little communication goes along way. If that fails, I have no qualms about pulling someone's gear off stage if they are slacking

Timekeep69

That irritates me to no end. I have a 9 piece kit with 11 cymbals and I can get my kit on and off stage in 5 minutes.

My old band used to play alot of shows with another band whose drummer would leave the stage after their set and start talking to people and leave his kit up on stage. Used to piss me off.

Brother_Bong

Yup. Hurry up and get your shit of the stage. Personally, I'm building skids to mount my drums on, like Chris Adler does. Mine will be three pieces cus my kits big, but three guys ought to be able to lift each section and carry it off.

OnusPro

A little common courtesy helps too. I always help the previous act break down their stuff and carry it off stage. Building little bridges here and there goes a long way.

Empyrean Drums

Everyone should have a carpet/mat marked for their kit too. It saves lots of time, and you can make sure your suff fits on the rizer ahead of time

AmnestysLowEnd

I agree but it really depends on the size of the club and how packed it is I played a show last night, that went horrible I play bass in that band and my amp was blowing fuses, it was smallish and packed so getting packed up had to be done on stage.

Rob Crisp

I don't think it's so much a problem here, you guys in the states have big kits! Most drummers here have a simple 4 piece kit, hats, ride and 2 crashes.

But sometimes yeah, it is a mare if kit changes have to be done.

Scogar

really lame...I have had to just start grabbing peoples stuff and taking it offstage.

another thing about set-up and breakdown is when all the other people in your OWN BAND crowd you while you are setting up or soundchecking. Okay, I understand that you guys are set up, but get the hell out of my way!

SmellsLikeIan

Scogar":3fz67v99 said:
really lame...I have had to just start grabbing peoples stuff and taking it offstage.

another thing about set-up and breakdown is when all the other people in your OWN BAND crowd you while you are setting up or soundchecking. Okay, I understand that you guys are set up, but get the hell out of my way!
WOW, yeah man, I especially hate when the first thing on the stage is someone's guitar, out of the case, in the middle of the stage......Do you like that sunburst finish on your Les Paul? Wanna keep it from getting scratched? Then keep it out of the way until the rest of the gear is set up. When I was a teenager playing in my dad's band, he was the most guilty person of that EVER! I kept telling him that I was gonna scratch the shit out of his '73 Stratocaster if he did it again, but I never actually did it. It was too nice and I didn't have the heart to. A trailer load of gear and the goddamn strat was the first thing out of its case and in the middle of the stage! :roll:

iatemygoat

i thought this was common knowledge?

sometimes i take my cymbals off of my rack to make it lighter before i take it down though. plus i have slick nuts so it goes really quick.

SGarrett

iatemygoat":36q7zicm said:
i thought this was common knowledge?

sometimes i take my cymbals off of my rack to make it lighter before i take it down though. plus i have slick nuts so it goes really quick.
You would think so. But sadly, it's not. I've even seen guys with years of experience taking their sweet time getting set up and torn down. One guy I know, who's a great player, doesn't touch his stands until they're on the drum riser. It takes him around 20 minutes to set up. It kills me.

shiebcte

Thats the worst, when someone plays a set, gets off the stage, gets a drink, talks to some people...pisses me off. specially if you ask if they want help and they say no...gahddamn

dahlgrendrummer

I usually have to pull my floors off my rack so it doesn't fall over, and the ride too. Other than that, thats the glory of a rack, quick set-up and tear down.

Here's my rant...

Bands that have been together for a million years that play at a party and play they're whole entire back catalog of material even though there is more bands that need to play. That happened to us this weekend, we were supposed to play at 12:15, we ended up getting started at 1AM. Cool dudes in the band, but they totally ignored the fact we still had to play and it was late, and the party was already 8-9 hours deep, so everyone was DRUNK.

Rockula!

This is why I refuse to play any bill with more than 3 bands (even then, I am resistant)
My setup takes at least an hour
I have prectived this setup/breakdown tons of times
I can get off the stage in about 5 minutes

The biggest problem is staging areas
As long as I have a place to decompress after the set, I will be fine
Here's the biggest problem, the less space you have to break down, the bigger the chance that you will lose something
Getting hurried off the stage (and many times OUT THE DOOR) is unacceptable
I'm pretty sure the club is not going to re-imburse you for any lost/stolen gear

Never again will I participate in an evening where I am told
"You have 10 minutes to get set up and soundchecked, then you have 30 minutes to play and then you have 10 minutes to get off stage"
"Thanks for being just another band, here's your 3 drink tickets, sorry we can't pay you"
Screw that
That's why I have my own PA

racefan33

I try to get to the stage first so I can stake my claim. If I'm a little late the rest of the band will put a moat of equipment preventing me from getting to my spot.