a customs cracking

Gazdkw82§

has anyone noticed that zildjian cymbals seem to be week. i purchased an 17" a custom crash about a year and half ago and after about 8 months a noticed about 4 hair line cracks on it. i contacted the shop and they sent it to zildjian who kindly replaced it. however the replacment has now cracked again after another 7 months or so.

Its a shame because i like the sound of the a customs

anavrinIV

everyone here says it all the time...its all about the technique you use. incorrect technique will lead to cracked cymbals. being a "hard hitter" doesnt help but bad technique will kill your cymbals.

check out sabian aaxs. theyre the same basic sound concept but for some reason sabians seem to be stronger than zildjian or paiste, and im not the only one thats seen this. ive has an aaxplosion crash for over a year and a half and its in great condition. if youre a die hard zildjian user then dont listen to me but ive found sabians to sound great and hold up great...ive never broken a sabian...i cant say the same for zildjian.

Rockaflodge

Dude if you a hard rock or metal drummer ( like me ) cracking cymbols after 8 months is just something you learn to live with, its a casuality of your playing, I not trying to say thats because of the music you play but the way all of us heavy drummers play. We like to beat the hell out of gear. Is it bad technique...MAYBE!, but who cares! as long as I am not cracking your cymbals, I am going to play like I want and you should too. And to me I break sabian faster then I break zildjian. The Z customs is the only cymbal that last longer than a year the way I play, so you might want to check them out. I hope all of this was some help in anyway.

rusty4u2

Gazdkw82§":264f7agy said:
has anyone noticed that zildjian cymbals seem to be week. i purchased an 17" a custom crash about a year and half ago and after about 8 months a noticed about 4 hair line cracks on it. i contacted the shop and they sent it to zildjian who kindly replaced it. however the replacment has now cracked again after another 7 months or so.

Its a shame because i like the sound of the a customs
It depends on where and how you hit your cymbals
and it also depends on the style of your playing.

Gazdkw82§

thanks for the advice. i think the problem is i tend to ride on the 17" a custom in a kind of rock out motion. i think its too small a cymbal to do that on so im gonna use a 19" projection instead.

rusty4u2

Gazdkw82§":3bwmqes0 said:
thanks for the advice. i think the problem is i tend to ride on the 17" a custom in a kind of rock out motion. i think its too small a cymbal to do that on so im gonna use a 19" projection instead.

Or you could use your ride as a second ride which will probly make your cymbal last long but yeah the correct size and thinkness of your cymbal is important.

Rob Crisp

Yesterday was a very sad day for me.

Played a gig, crowd were going wild, I was playing hard, really hard and broke my first ever cymbal! What a surprise, it was an A custom 16" crash!

Still, gonna get the guy in the shop I bought it from to send it back, and get another at the same time. He's a good lad!

Been playing nearly 11 years and never broke a cymbal before :cry:

Slightly annoying though as I'd only had it since May last year.

Gazdkw82§

rusty4u2":24suo0k8 said:
Gazdkw82§":24suo0k8 said:

Or you could use your ride as a second ride which will probly make your cymbal last long but yeah the correct size and thinkness of your cymbal is important.
i was thinking about that, i need a ride i can rock out on, any ideas on a suitable ride for that?

Rockula!

I use a 20" A-Custom ride exclusively as a crash (it is the lightest ride in the line)
It builds up and washes very well

screamkevin

Gazdkw82§":1wjvu0bj said:
i was thinking about that, i need a ride i can rock out on, any ideas on a suitable ride for that?
A ton of drummers are using the Zildjian 21" A Sweet Ride for that. Look for a ride with more overtones and less definition. Stay away from "Earth" Rides, "Ping" Rides, or "Hi-Defenition" Rides.

Gazdkw82§

screamkevin":22p0l791 said:
Gazdkw82§":22p0l791 said:
A ton of drummers are using the Zildjian 21" A Sweet Ride for that. Look for a ride with more overtones and less definition. Stay away from "Earth" Rides, "Ping" Rides, or "Hi-Defenition" Rides.
yeh i noticed a sweet ride today at my local drum store its in for ?190 but ill get it for about ?160 is that a decent ride? i think taylor hawkins uses it

screamkevin

Most of today's cloned pop/punk drummers use them, guys like Travis Barker (Ex-Blink 182), Atom Willard (The Offspring), Chuck Comeau (Simple Plan), etc. You know, the guys that all play the same music and the same kit.

Scott_Hurford

Gazdkw82§":2u33h4io said:
screamkevin":2u33h4io said:
Gazdkw82§":2u33h4io said:
yeh i noticed a sweet ride today at my local drum store its in for ?190 but ill get it for about ?160 is that a decent ride? i think taylor hawkins uses it
yeah Taylor Hawkins uses the 21" Sweet ride, it sound brillient as a crash, it has a lot of life to it :twisted:

Scott_Hurford

screamkevin":1k1237gs said:
Gazdkw82§":1k1237gs said:
Stay away from them? i agree with you there, the heavier rides sound awful as crash's in my opinion

vgarate

As long as I know, Zildjian can make cymbals more thin than other brands... so if you're a hard hitter and don't use proper technique, then you'll brea them very easyly.

A Customs tend to be some medium-thin (projections) to thin (regular ones)... so I would recomend you to use them very carefully, use bigger cymbals that can take the punishment or jump into more thick Avedis (maybe brilliant finishes so you can get some smooth A Custom response, not the same, but close).

But how about guarantee in USA? if you brake it within a year, will the store replace it? In my countryu it doesn't happens :x

And if this is not usefull, then jump to some Sabian AAX :wink:

zen_drummer

Here's a suggestion for you heavy hitters out there on how to save a TON of money on cymbals...

No, you don't have to change your technique...

No, You don't have to use lighter sticks...

You don't have to change ANYTHING except how long you use a cymbal...

Here's the secret: Let's say for example, you seem to break a particular cymbal every six months or so. That's a bad thing, right? When that cymbal breaks, the metal left over is pretty much valuless and you're out ALL of that investment.

SELL your cymbals on eBay when they are 5 months old, BEFORE you break them! Even if you list the cymbals as "PLAYED HARD, but IN GOOD CONDITION" they will sell for WAY MORE than broken ones! Let's just say you'll get AT LEAST 50% of what you paid for the cymbal, you'll have all that cash to re-invest and it will cut the price of your drumming IN HALF, while at the same time putting cymbals out into the world for people that are looking for bargain priced used ones.

I keep reading stuff like "I break 16 inch crashes every 7-10 months" and it becomes obvious to me that you should sell them every 6 months while they still have value.

Plan ahead and save lots of cash!

(I'll bet TONS of hard hitters already do this!)