kylevater

i was the same way
ask anybody here, they all had to start from somewhere
but it took like 30 minutes to get a simple beat going with the hh base and snare
youll get it
practice (you knew that was coming)

I remember in the real early days I didn't really know where the bass drum came in. I listened to tracks and just tried really hard to do 2-time shit with just the hi-hat and the snare. Then one day I was listening to an AC/DC track and understood what was going on. I eventually found out that was being used everywhere in music. It sounded pretty cool, so I started practicing on it and was finally able to work out a rock beat and some simple fills by the time I finally got myself lessons.

That said, I would recommend starting on rudiments first before trying to do beats and all. I know it may be boring, but it will help you an awful lot. Stick control would also be worth your time.

I don't want to discourage you from trying to play a beat, though. Hell, you can try to learn to play a beat, learn some rudiments, try playing the beat, etc. I'm sure you'll see/hear some sort of improvement.

Don't let the bastards cut you down.

Mr.Smash

cbean419":1ng9jfx5 said:
I just started playing drums, I got a lesson, and I was doing okay but then I couldn't really play a simple beat with the snare, bass, and crash cymbal. How were you the first time you played? I feel like I'm not gonna be good at all cause I couldn't do that one simple rhythm.
Once you get that it will branch..... and then those branches, will branch... and so on a so forth. keep at it. You gotta start somewhere.

cableman26

cbean419":fpsxh5p7 said:
I just started playing drums, I got a lesson, and I was doing okay but then I couldn't really play a simple beat with the snare, bass, and crash cymbal. How were you the first time you played? I feel like I'm not gonna be good at all cause I couldn't do that one simple rhythm.
Throw your sticks away and Run RUN!!! And never look back. Just messing with you. As hard as it is sometimes and as much of your time it takes it becomes a lifestyle that you love. Best of Luck.
P.S. Did anyone mention practice?

Mr.Smash

cbean419":1mfbh8sa said:
Yeah, I'll keep practicing, but for future reference when I'm playing a closed hi hat and a bass, I always have the urge to tap my foot along to the beat, which I can't do with my left foot or it will open the hi hat, or it messes up when i try to play the bass. What do I do?
Either subdue the urge.. which you're going to have to learn to do eventually... or switch that hand to the ride or a crash... which you're going to have to learn to do eventually. lol

cableman26

For a quick fix you could loosen your hi-hat up that will stop it from opening and closing, but in doing that you eliminate your options for a lot of really cool dynamics. Its just something you'll have to train yourself to stop doing. You'll get it. Don't get discouraged, nothing in life worth anything comes easy.