4 piece or 5?

SmellsLikeIan

A lot of good points here. Especially Rob Crisp's. I have a six piece, but due to the price of heads (I change my tom batters every other month or so when I'm gigging a lot) and my general laziness, I usually only play four piece. I would love to use all of my toms, but I just use the 12" and 16" since I'm the guy who has to un-mic them, wrap up the cords, and load them all up at the end of the night..And about a third of the time, drive home. When we get a driver and a couple of roadies (if that ever happens) maybe I'll go back to the six piece. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

MeekaFlow

forgive me for being a noob but ha yeah what are tonal and phrases my teacher always tells me about phrases but i have no clue what they are, and everyone in this topic has talked about tonal what is that?

Lancelot Frosty

Tonal.
You know. More sounds to work with.
When the guys here say tonal options, they mean more sounds to use, basically.

As for phrases, well, I'm not too sure, since I'm pretty new myself.
I guess they mean the way the fill is played.
Where the notes are placed can make a difference.
If I'm not being clear, do forgive me. XD

ThePloughman

When someone talks about tonal inflections on the kit, phrasing, keeping the number of toms down, becoming efficient in a minimalist situation............ what you got to understand is that we dont mean making a 4 piece kit sound like portnoys 54 drums. What we are talking about is playing the 4 piece, or 5 piece or whatever thats in front of you to its potential. And having seen Peart and Buddy both on 4 piece kits........ I am not sure potential is something anyone has reached yet. Quit trying to make it sound like more drums, and just play it.

FiestyRedDrummEr

Well for most of you who don't know me. My dad taught me drums and at a young age. My dad is a jazz drummer. He plays jazz and rock. and thats it. He doesn't like to "fool" around with other styles. But eh is also a total percussionist so I guess thats where that plays in. He taught me on a 3 pc. When I was about 14 Remo sponsered me and got me a 5 pc. I got so used to it. I loaded it up with all the cymbals bells and whistles as possible and had lots of fun on it. Until one day I came home from school and all my toms were missing. My dad said "you are too used to playing with all this junk. Time to be creative" I played like 6 months without any toms. Then one day I got home and all my cymbals (except my hi hat) were gone he said the same thing. another 6 months later I got all my things back on my set. And he bought me a new set to sweeten the deal.
The moral of this lesson is its so important to learn to play on any size. and still have the creative juices flowing. When you can take your set down to a hi hat a bass drum a snare and a ride. and still play just as good as if you had 6 mounted toms and 8 cymbals...then you have accomplished a lot on the drumset.

SmellsLikeIan

FiestyRedDrummEr":1i6rh91t said:
Well for most of you who don't know me. My dad taught me drums and at a young age. My dad is a jazz drummer. He plays jazz and rock. and thats it. He doesn't like to "fool" around with other styles. But eh is also a total percussionist so I guess thats where that plays in. He taught me on a 3 pc. When I was about 14 Remo sponsered me and got me a 5 pc. I got so used to it. I loaded it up with all the cymbals bells and whistles as possible and had lots of fun on it. Until one day I came home from school and all my toms were missing. My dad said "you are too used to playing with all this junk. Time to be creative" I played like 6 months without any toms. Then one day I got home and all my cymbals (except my hi hat) were gone he said the same thing. another 6 months later I got all my things back on my set. And he bought me a new set to sweeten the deal.
The moral of this lesson is its so important to learn to play on any size. and still have the creative juices flowing. When you can take your set down to a hi hat a bass drum a snare and a ride. and still play just as good as if you had 6 mounted toms and 8 cymbals...then you have accomplished a lot on the drumset.
Yeah, I kind of did the same thing to myself after 6 or 8 years of playing....I just haven't added anything back yet! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Winner Baby!

i'd buy the five piece kit.. even if not using the 2nd floor tom for now, it might be usefull later because all of that those guys said ^

SGarrett

Tonal is having to do with different tones.

"The dog ran quickly." is a phrase. You can play the measure as straight 16th notes or you can break it up into something like 8+3+5 and still have all 16 notes.