4 pc

automaster31

can you switch the tom from the left (looking from the throne) to the right? That's my main question on whether to get a 4 pc or 5.

screamkevin

It shouldn't be a problem, just a matter of turning the mounting arm around in it's bracket. I'm guessing that's what you're talking about, right? You could be more specific, though.

Blond_Duke

Yes, indeed you can i worked with a Tama set like that before. All you do is spin the rod to the other side and adjust your ball joint to where you want it. But getting a 4 or 5 pc more or less matters on what music you will be playing more. If your learning and are using books you'll better off with a 5pc because they will start with basic rock beats and fills which doesn't have to have 3 toms but makes it easyer you don't have to change the fill to fit 2 toms. Most 4pc sets are used in jazz, swing, and latain styles. I had a 5 pc and took off the one tom because another set that i had to play for a show was 4pc and i needed to learn make my fills on 2 toms and do it smoothly.

Hope that helped a little. Anything i didn't answer or you didn't understand what i meant just let me know. I did it in a hurry sorry.

automaster31

all i need. thanks. i'm not buying any of our band's equipment. our lead guitarist says get whatever i need and he'll cover it. i'm lucky. it doesnt hurt that i'm his best friend. what i'm looking at is around 3200 and for the band, it'll be about 8725 or so...

dtran09

3200 for free. that's nice. buy a used kit for 100 bucks, and go on vacation ;)
But really, you could get a custom 4pc, but most good drum kits don't come in 4pcs.
However, massmusic.net will sell you a good kit drum by drum so you don't have to buy those extra toms.

Blond_Duke

Humm, thats nice. If your getting your set for free. I would think about a 5 or 6 pc then. Custom as well! lol, well it's up to you. What music will you be playing?

automaster31

staind, breaking benjamin, red jumpsuit, daughtry, ac/dc... <BR><BR> basically this: <BR><BR><BR><object width="530" height="370"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/p/09EC8DB44F94C8E9"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/p/09EC8DB44F94C8E9" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="530" height="370"></embed></object>

stuff our lead vocalist can pull off. he cant scream or he's screwed for a week.

automaster31

22x18 kick
12x9, 13x10 mounted toms
16x16 floor
5.5x14 snare
custom amber fade finish

I'm also thinking about a pacific 805 6x10 side snare.

xs20s all the way around except for the china. trying to save my buddy some $.

pacific 800 series hardware

7002 double pedal

everything i'm looking at now is around 2800- not bad for free.

my max is 3400 . any major changes?

Blond_Duke

Ehh, side snares are a waste to me. I have a snare on the side...lol but i keep the snares off and the head loose and use it like a side tom...lol, it's weird i know but i use it a lot more the people think. I consider my set a 6 pc because of it. Pacific is okay. You don't have to have all the same hardware. Mine is a mix of ddrum, plus, and...i can't even remember. But the set itself is pretty nice. Not bad. You might have to shop around for the size of heads if you want. It took me some time to get the size and head i wanted. I like http://www.percussionsource.com/default.aspx?id=0 but they take a little bit longer to ship then other companies.

automaster31

as far as heads go, i plan on getting ec2 batters w/ an emad resonant for the kick. i'm not touching the side snare's head. the main reason i want it is if we do "so cold" by breaking benjamin or "breath". dont want to take the chance of a botched throw off...