2nd drum kit

pooJken

Okay here is the deal

I have a TAMA Superstar EFX kit in the colour Dark Blue Abalone
The size are 10", 12",14",16", 22" kick drums. It tuned in a jazzy kind of way...

Now i'm asked to play in a "metallica" style like band...

I'm thinking about buying a saperate kit for that band

You guys think its wise, or is my DBA kit good for that type of music?
Or do you think that the tunig of a drum kit doesn't matter at all??

Cheers Joop

break the prism

i think that if you have the money, then you should by a new kit. it'd sure be a hell of a lot easier than re-tuning your kit all of the time.
i for one would never want to give up my kit's original sound.

break the prism

you might find that the distinct sound in your kit is what gives whatever music you play its signature sound. for instance, i play a pearl prestige sessions kit with remo muffl's even when i'm playing in jazz combo. it gives the combo a certain sound that makes us unique.

pooJken

uhuh indeed

but with my 22" kick and can't get a deep sound
but is it nessasary to get a deep pounding sound for metallica?

mlumpkin13

I have a 22" Tama kick, and I play that type of music and I get plenty of punch out of it. If you're going to be miced then you can adjust your EQ to get whatever kind of sound you like. Buying triggers might be cheaper than buying a new drum kit though. With triggers it doesn't matter how you're tuned or what you're playing, you can get any sound you want.

phil-drummer

id probably settle for a retune instead of a new kit, as thats a bit extreme , but if your new 'tallica band is serious then go for it, i think his set up these days is 10" 12" toms , 15" 16" floors and x2 22" BD's, ( or a dubble pedal if you dont want 2 ) so i dont think theirs not that much difference in it.

Altho , if i had the money for a new kit i would definatly buy one, haha , drums are so cool, but 2 kits of that size might require a bit more room , even if one of them is kept packed away.

PaulZILLA

i was just in a metallica tribute/clone band. the 22in bassdrum works wonderfully. lars usualy uses 22x16 or 22x18 i think. and he does in fact use 10-12-15-16-22bd-and his shitty sig snare. but thats just on st anger. he supposedly is using a kit mor elike his old white monster again, 12-13toms-15-16 or 16-18 floor toms. and the 22x18 bds. if you really wana fit the sound more, ya dont need that huge thud sound. lars actualy uses triggers alot now so people dont know the diff. he tunes his bass batter high, and his bass reso just below the batter. not really low li ke alot of bands in the style do. and he mics through the port halfway into the drum with the mic facing up at an angle in front of the impact spot. best bet though, trigger set, and a digital brain for em, cheaper than even a low/mid range kit, more flexible, and rarely needs fixing. alot easier to store than another kit, and you can adjust to ANY style, not just thrash/hardrock. if you think the bass triggers sound to clicky, watch any metallica live video and he mics and gets more click than a decent trigger sound.besides you can always trigger and adjust with eq and get closer toa real sound. for the metallica clone band i was in, i used a 22x16bd, 12x10,13x11toms, 16x16, 18x16floor toms, and a 5.5x14steel snare. works pretty good. old metallica used 4 huge toms(literaly freaking huge, the biggest rack tom was 14x12, i think the others were 13x11,10x10, and 8x8. odd mix of s izes to me, but eh. im not lars. i actualy can tune my drums, his tech does his. anyway. that should work. i recomend triggers, all around better if your in multiple bands,besides as nice as your kit sounds as it is, shame to change "your"sound ya know.

drumnovido

First of all why play in a Metallica type band. Are you playing for the music or playing for the crickets? 22" Bass Drums are great! What you need to focus on is getting a 2nd Snare drum. A Steel snare drum to give it volume and power. After that, getting a second set of cymbals with a a lot of power crashes, rides and power hi hats.
Good luck.

quikstang2

With the right heads you can get a 22" bass drum to sound big enough, especially if it's 18" or 20" deep. Obviously it won't sound like a 24" bass drum that he used to have. He's only using 22x16"s now and his toms are 10x8, 12x10, 16x14 and 16x16 so you can get all those sizes easily.

As for getting another kit, I'd say go for it. It's a pain in the nuts to retune one set or borrow drums/hardware back and forth between two set ups of one kit. Just stack one up in the corner when you're not using it.

pooJken

drumnovido":2x9id4vg said:
First of all why play in a Metallica type band. Are you playing for the music or playing for the crickets? 22" Bass Drums are great! What you need to focus on is getting a 2nd Snare drum. A Steel snare drum to give it volume and power. After that, getting a second set of cymbals with a a lot of power crashes, rides and power hi hats.
Good luck.
I already have the LU sig snare (the shitty one as used on ST. anger) But with the snares on!!!

thnx for the advice

pooJken

Neko":2v9hj01c said:
Fuck it retune and have fun.
Save your money and enjoy the experiance!!!
and retune it every day:p
no way hehe;p

the question is, can you play music like metallica with a jazzy kind of tuing?

break the prism

jazzy tuning gives drums a very warm, resonant feel. i say if you add that to something else it just makes that other music sound better.

anavrinIV

explain your "jazzy" tuning for me....

if youre talking about wide open toms with a full, warm, resonant sound then theres no reason to retune. to the audience that will sound much better than dead, flat toms. i play some metallica and have the full, resonant, warm sound and i see no problem with it.

other than that, if you think your toms sound good then just play them as they are.

and i agree that you can get a powerful, punchy sound out of your 22" bass...just put on an emad or superkick 2 and take out all the other muffling.

dugdrummer

i think it depends on how serious a tribute this is for you..is it the type of tribute where the lead guitarist plays a esp thru a mesa? i'm playin in a pink floyd tribute and we're tryin real hard to re-create floyd in the early 70's..were makin good $$$ so i 'm savin up my cash to buy an 8 pcs silver sparkle kit like mason used back then...and i'm keepin my 5 piece yamaha,10,12,14 for my other projects..

pooJken

anavrinIV":1a7iseoo said:
explain your "jazzy" tuning for me....

if youre talking about wide open toms with a full, warm, resonant sound then theres no reason to retune. to the audience that will sound much better than dead, flat toms. i play some metallica and have the full, resonant, warm sound and i see no problem with it.
My toms are sounding low, but the sustain is high

pooJken

dugdrummer":rdl500d1 said:
i think it depends on how serious a tribute this is for you..is it the type of tribute where the lead guitarist plays a esp thru a mesa? i'm playin in a pink floyd tribute and we're tryin real hard to re-create floyd in the early 70's..were makin good $$$ so i 'm savin up my cash to buy an 8 pcs silver sparkle kit like mason used back then...and i'm keepin my 5 piece yamaha,10,12,14 for my other projects..
yeah well... it's also that I want to get as close to the Metallica drum sound as possible