• 20"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 22"

• Both :)

• Total voters

bunnybunny

Hey everybody. I'd like to know your opinions on 20 and 22 bass drums. Which are more versatile, which are better for rehearsals, gigs, recording, which sound do you like better, etc. Let's discuss!

Animal

No doubt in my mind: 22"!

Why?
As a drummer mainly into rock music, the ideal BD size would probably be at least 24" BD. I would like that myself.
On the other hand, I like my toms to be as flat as possible.
The bigger the BD, the more angled toms you get.

If you don't like a "huge" sound, or like a jazzy sound, I guess 20" is OK, but then again; It could just as easy go down to 18" BD, if that's what you prefer.

22" it is! 8)

Shalaq

For now I use only a small towel to muffle my 22 kick and it sounds huge. For jazz stuf etc I use a 16.

loop

I currently use a 22 kick and I love it. It's punchy(maybe not as much as a 20"kick) and has a lot of low ends. I'ts also louder than a 20. Hmmm, that's why I like it :)

caulkie

My pearl ELX Fusion has a 20" drum which I adore, my Yamaha Stage Custom Advantage has a 22" and that really rocks.

I wish in your vote there was a "both of em" option as I have two kits for two styles of playing. 8)

Rob the Drummer

I have a 20"x18" kick and I love it. It's a tighter more focused kick and I get people complimenting the sound of it. Since it's 18" deep, I get some good lows out of it, but I also get a lot of punch. Another good thing is that it doesn't take up a lot of space and my toms can get as low as I want them to be. You don't get the boom when you are sitting behind it like a 22" but when that put a mic in that puppy, the sound is awesome. I would rather have a 20" anyday! I also remember when I had my pearls, I heard a drummer playin a 20" kick and was like, that's the next kick I'm gettin! :D

Qbs

20". Why? It's smaller and easier to fit into a small car :)
That being said I'd love to have a 18x16 kick :)

Shalaq

Qbs":1vk7wua2 said:
20". Why? It's smaller and easier to fit into a small car :)
That being said I'd love to have a 18x16 kick :)
Maybe you should consider getting an Arbiter Flats kit :p all drums fit in one bag :p

Qbs

well I thought about it but after having a 20" Arbiter BD I consider it to be a bad idea :p

GuRu

20" made of good material is a killer drum ;)

my own 20x18 birch sounds like an armor piercing cannon.

PaulZILLA

i currently play a 22in bass drum. i have played 24x18. 20x8. and 22x16. the 22x16 is my current. which i love. but it lacks certain things i cant describe. im preparing to buy a Tama Starclassic Birch with a 20x18. and im thinkin that will be a sick drum. i like my friends maple pearl master customs mmx20x18 and i prefer birch. so i imagin the 20x18 will sound sick.

zerodogma

My next kick will definitely be a 20" x 20" - I played on on a DDrum maple that size and it was a freakin' cannon!

Mike T

alot of factors really but i play 2 20 inch Rogers bass drums and i will compared both loudness and tone with anyone ..the key is the shells,the heads used,the beater,and most important the bearing edge and it's angle i prefere the 90 degree angle to the 45..it is easier to tune and centers the head on the drum..

Daneman

Old school- 14x20. Trust me, with the right heads and muffling
(or lack thereof) it's still pretty easy to get a big sound- I have friends whose 22" pales in comparison.