20 ply anyone?

Kaos

Here's my newest, its the first time I did a 20 ply and so far I like it. I took 2 10ply's and cut one to make it fit inside the other, glued it up and put a nice 45/45 degree edge on it. I finished the inside with tung oil and the edges with bee's wax. The wrap is by a buddy of mine who is starting his own custom drum wrap company. Anyway here it is!

zen_drummer

NICE JOB!

I'd like to make a suggestion, if I may...

At the butt end of your snares, the strap isn't going straight into the butt end, and it's not centered... this causes the snares to be slighty flexed and it will have a negative effect on the sound. You should straighten that up and center it. You can see in the photos of the bottom of the drum that the snares are not perfectly straight across the bottom of the drum because of this.

It would be a shame to have done such an outstanding job on the drum, only to have missed this detail!

Again, superb job on the drum!

Kaos

zen_drummer":c2g0ixnc said:
NICE JOB!

I'd like to make a suggestion, if I may...

At the butt end of your snares, the strap isn't going straight into the butt end, and it's not centered... this causes the snares to be slighty flexed and it will have a negative effect on the sound. You should straighten that up and center it. You can see in the photos of the bottom of the drum that the snares are not perfectly straight across the bottom of the drum because of this.

It would be a shame to have done such an outstanding job on the drum, only to have missed this detail!

Again, superb job on the drum!
Thanks Ill take a look at that and get it fixed!

Kaos

Cheerful-Bear":2budmq3y said:
Nice job?

Do you normally have to tung oil the inside and beeswax the edges? (meaning does everybody do this?)
no not everone does that but I think it is safer to have the wood protected. I've also used vasoline and had good results the only thing is it takes longer to dry. But Bill Caldwell use vasoline so you know its gotta be good. As for the beeswax its a trick I learned that helps with tuning and seating heads, instead of the head streching over raw wood the beeswax is a lubricant that allows the head to glide over the edge more easyly and if you have any slight (I mean less than a millimeter) inperfection in your bearing edge this will help with that too.

LyriCa1z

Looks like a mighty fine snare to me. I bet the sound is killer. Gonna sell it or is it for personal use?