13 x 3.5 Brass Piccolo

Howepirate

Well seeing as i rather DONT like steel for snares now, i bought a used Mapex Pro Brass Piccolo. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this snare or any of the like in a similar size.

I'm wondering good head combos for this brass snare drum that will give me good sensitivity great response with a sharp quick attack with little decay.

I play death metal...and a lot of groove and funk so any information on how versatile this snare is and what head combos will do er' good would be muchhhhh appreciated!

Howepirate

Oh lol i dont have it yet.

I won it on ebay and the guy only lives on the other coast of florida so it should be here.....

tomorrow or the next day

Rem

Howepirate":acuwur9g said:
Oh lol i dont have it yet.

I won it on ebay and the guy only lives on the other coast of florida so it should be here.....

tomorrow or the next day
yay!

anavrinIV

i play a vented and go for the same sound you do and i love teh evans st dry head. if youre looking to crank the snare head, this one will work perfectly. its loud, dry, and holds up very well. the only thing about this head that ill warn you of is that it takes a little time to break in properly, even when seated well and tuned high it still takes me a week or two of playing it before it gets to the sound that i love. ive also played the hd dry and its good but i like the st a little more.

Howepirate

anavrinIV":xrlrqdit said:
i play a vented and go for the same sound you do and i love teh evans st dry head. if youre looking to crank the snare head, this one will work perfectly. its loud, dry, and holds up very well. the only thing about this head that ill warn you of is that it takes a little time to break in properly, even when seated well and tuned high it still takes me a week or two of playing it before it gets to the sound that i love. ive also played the hd dry and its good but i like the st a little more.
Thats some great suggestions because i loves me some evans heads.

I believe this snare comes with an exans power center head on it so i'll see how that tickles my fancy.

If not i'll try the hd or st dry cuz i love a good dry snare with just a weee bit of ping in it from the metal. I eouldnt be to troubled if the ping was completely gone so i'll try it.

Howepirate

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

OH MY GAWDDDDDD

EVERYONE BUY THIS SNARE ITS SO AMAZING.

I just got it in today...looks like someone but it through hell cuz the bottom head was nothing but a few chunks of mylar stuck on a round metal rod!! So i'm using the snare side head from my pearl steel piccolo.

All i have to say is this thing can blast like no other it can groove like no other it can ghost note it can triplet it can own any snare i've used!

Now i need recommendations for snare side head tho because when i put the head on it had been stretched to where there is permanent wrinkling in it by the snare wire(i'm hoping thats it because if not then the shells bent!). But im in need of an evans snare side head...recommendations??

Oh and the evans power center is a great head(came with the snare lightly used)!

Mallette

I have a Pearl 3.5x13 with an Evans EC Reverse Dot on top and 12 strand Puresound (P-1312) snares. The quality of the snares makes the most difference to your sound and is often the most overlooked aspect of tuning a snare drum properly. This combination is the most flexible snare I own. Tuned up or down it sounds great!