13" toms

stu

Any one have them? Any on else have trouble tuning them and/or keeping them in tune?
One of these days I'm going to get in a serious bar room brawl with mine.

king_friday

stu":31ovifkp said:
Any one have them? Any on else have trouble tuning them and/or keeping them in tune?
One of these days I'm going to get in a serious bar room brawl with mine.
i use a 13''. never really had problems with it.

Rob Crisp

Gotta be honest, yes I have hada them and I've always left them out of the setup.. not really sure why. Now I use 12, 14, 16 toms

DrummerZ

I use a 12" 13" and a 16"... I mainly use the 12" and 16" which I am not quite sure why I do. So I'm not sure about the tuning. My drums sound like empty watertanks anyway. They need better skins :(

MasterShake89

i have one but i leave it out of my setup, it just doesnt give me what i want sound wise. I use a 10, 12, 16, set up and I keep them all relatively low tuned and dry with coated heads.

Raider05

My old Rogers kit has 8,10,12,13 and 16" toms. Never had a problem with tuning it or keeping it in tune.

My new Yamaha kit has 8,10,12,14 & 16" toms, but I'm thinking of adding a 13" tom in the mix.

dwtoast72

I have a weird set up, but I love it.... 8,10,13, 15, 18.. But I've never had any issues with the tuning... Just be patient. It may feel uncomfortable because it's so close in interval to your 12 or 14 (which ever you're using) so you're not going to get a perfect 3rd or 4th (as some drummers like to achieve) between them without some sound sacrifice. Try tuning the drum to itself, get the perfect tone for that drum, know what I mean??

dedrummervanrolf

I have a 13" tom as a first tom on one of my kits. what I do: Use a Pinstripe on top, and a snare side head on the bottom. the thing sings like crazy with the batter head tuned low, and the bottom head kinda cracked up.

BJGOV

Yeah, my only rack tom is a 13". Never have any problems out of it. I always use regular 2 ply coated (Emperor, G2, Response 2) on the batter and clear single ply on the bottom. I could see having a problem with a 12" and 13" rack tom setup, just trying to get a noticeable seperation between the 2 toms. My kit is 13", 16", and 18", so that's not much of a problem.

break the prism

back when i had a standard kit with hardware too thin to mount a tom on, i just left my 13" tom in a case.
but other than that i never had problems with tuning or anything.

drummer912

yea i got one, but the mount is messed up so i just use the 12 and 16. the ol 13 is ok, but it sounds too much like the 12 when doing fills ( yea i know i can tune them to differnt pitches but still)

galgano16

i used 2 hav a 13" on my practice kit, but then i went and switched it up a bit, so tht now all of my toms are 2 inches apart in diameter(and also depth, as a matter of fact), so tuning's not a problem now, nor was it back then as much either, and they sound so even and precise, especially when doin complicated fills

rlrrll

I don't mind using a 13" as a single rack tom, but I like to have a wide range when I use 3 toms (10",12",14"). A 12" and 13" seem too close in tonal range. If you want to tune them to a fourth interval, you can choke the 12 and have the 13 a bit below its natural range. The 2" difference seems to make it easier to find the intervals I want without under or over tensioning.

But that's just me!

tc