12x5" Snare Projection?

Alcyon

I'm looking at a Pork Pie Little Squealer, the 12x5", for only $215 Canadian, and it sounded awesome in the store, I'm going to buy it and try it out for the warranty period... But has anyone used it in a stage setting? I don't usually have a miked snare (we play small gigs, usually the kit isn't even miked at all) and I'm worried about whether it'll project enough to be heard. I play mostly Thrash Metal and some Post-Hardcore in another band. Thanks!

sefalik

I use a 12x5.5 with my death metal band. No problem.

What's with all these quesitons about drums being too small for metal? There was another thread here asking if a 20" bass was too small for metal and on another forum someone was asking if an 8" tom was too small for metal. Why would they be too small? Heh, I guess somewhere along the line someone said metal drums need to be BIG, and it stuck. It's not the case though... I use a 20x16 bass, 10 and 14 toms, and the 12" snare with my metal band.

xdoseonex

sefalik":4rer1djy said:
I use a 12x5.5 with my death metal band. No problem.

What's with all these quesitons about drums being too small for metal? There was another thread here asking if a 20" bass was too small for metal and on another forum someone was asking if an 8" tom was too small for metal. Why would they be too small? Heh, I guess somewhere along the line someone said metal drums need to be BIG, and it stuck. It's not the case though... I use a 20x16 bass, 10 and 14 toms, and the 12" snare with my metal band.
i play face smashig metal and i play a gretsch renown maple 8-10-12-14 with a 22" kick. my bands manager (jeff facci- full blown chaos) said it wasnt a "metal" kit. but those things are as metal as i tune them. as is any other kit

Alcyon

Guys, I know you can tune anything to sound "metal", my question is, does anyone have a 12x5" snare that blows out eardrums, shatters spines, kills small children and pets, etc. while UNMIKED?

Also, what head would you guys recommend, is the Pork Pie standard any good? People recommended Evans ST Dry for a brutal crack.

pow3rtr1p

I don't know if they make them in 12", but my Aquarian Hi-Energy head makes even my stock Sonor snare crack enough to make my ears hurt. I had a friend with a Pork Pie Little Squealer and it sounded sweet when he hit it hard, especially rim shots.

I think a 12x5 could project very well, but the biggest factor in that, un-mic'd, is probably the venting. If you were to get like a 2" vent in the front, it would project to the audience a lot more than just a few metal grommets.

I have this snare and it projects amazingly. very loud. And yes, the stock heads are good... I used mine for quite a while but I just decided I wanted a different sound...