your opinion on....

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:22 pm

wat kids are playing today...for example her in el paso so many kids are into the "hardcore/grindcore" scene...for those of u who dont know wat it is...its the ugliest form of music....i mean the guitar playing is sick from wat they can do but i mean argh...the screaming n the fast drumming...i mean do any of u drummer out there like to play that music? reason i dont say crap is cuz i gotta respect the ppl that like it :wink: but i prefer music with a beat to it..heh give me ur opinions on (grindcore/hardcore music) blahhhhhh :D
lets drum fast and sexy :]
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:54 pm

i love that shit! it's not the only kind of music i listen to though. i love jazz and blues but on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, i love grindcore too. it's a lot of fun to play because it's so challenging to learn
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:59 pm

Im not really into any of the "core" scenes, but I do enjoy a vast majority of METAL!!! haha!

But I am in a band that requires some fast drumming, and I love it. I dont know how to explane it...it's just more fun than typical 'beats'.
Vetis
Alcyon
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:19 am

For me being a drummer kind of requires that you like a lot of different stuff... I mean, I listen to and play mostly metal but I immensely respect beatmasters and groovers too.

My opinion on grindcore etc? The primal energy of it is what interests me. However some bands just have no real sound. Stuff like Metallica or Lamb of God are awe-inspiring and the variety of someone like Chris Adler demands respect.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:59 am

I love grindcore. The stuff that either goes back to the 80's or follows in that tradition. Hardcore as they call it today is not real hardcore, so they can keep fooling themselves all they want. :lol:

I don't see anything wrong with it especially. It's all a matter of personal taste. I can't stand bands like System of a Down or Lamb of God, and they get mentioned on here a lot, but it's all just what people like. It's all good.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:21 am

mapexdrummer wrote:wat kids are playing today...for example her in el paso so many kids are into the "hardcore/grindcore" scene...for those of u who dont know wat it is...its the ugliest form of music....i mean the guitar playing is sick from wat they can do but i mean argh...the screaming n the fast drumming...i mean do any of u drummer out there like to play that music? reason i dont say crap is cuz i gotta respect the ppl that like it :wink: but i prefer music with a beat to it..heh give me ur opinions on (grindcore/hardcore music) blahhhhhh :D

I really don't know. I think people should play what makes them happy.

What I do know is this. All through history the old have blamed the young and the young have blamed the old.

Perhaps the answer lies somewhere in between. But don't expect to get any correct or true answer out of me. I haven't got a damned clue!
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Crusher
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:48 am

I like that fast heavy drumming too, but can appreciate most other forms of music
Tama Drums - Sabian Cymbals - Vater Sticks - Evans Heads
mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:17 am

"I really don't know. I think people should play what makes them happy.

What I do know is this. All through history the old have blamed the young and the young have blamed the old.

Perhaps the answer lies somewhere in between. But don't expect to get any correct or true answer out of me. I haven't got a damned clue!"

hahahaha!!! good explanation on the old and the young! haha!!!
lets drum fast and sexy :]
MrChops
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:42 pm

I absolutely love this style of music. I'll admit sometimes it can go over the edge a bit, but for the most part it is constant movement. It is like aerobics for drumming. You really do have to be in shape to play some of these licks. Since I joined a hardcore band i've lost weight. :P

One argument I do have against all of it, is the constant double bass. It's all about who can play the fastest nowadays, and is starting to get retarded.

On the other hand... Why does lamb of god get brought up in a hardcore/grindcore discussion? They're straight up metal. And system of a down? I really don't know what to call them, but it's not hardcore and most certainly is not grindcore. Grindcore is bands like The dillinger escape plan and the number 12 looks like you.
Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.
dahlgrendrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:36 pm

I like grind a lot, it takes an amazing amount of endurance and skill. Some of it gets a little out of hand though. Grind and death metal drumming is almost as complicated as Jazz!
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:44 pm

Listen to Cryptopsy. The drummer does some really amazing stuff and keeps it all organized. Most death metal isn't just "noise" like some people make it out to be. It's one of the most complicated forms of music in every aspect.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:09 am

MrChops wrote:On the other hand... Why does lamb of god get brought up in a hardcore/grindcore discussion? They're straight up metal. And system of a down? I really don't know what to call them, but it's not hardcore and most certainly is not grindcore. Grindcore is bands like The dillinger escape plan and the number 12 looks like you.

I never mentioned LOG or SOAD as hardcore or grindcore or any of that stuff, in case there was any confusion. I only mentioned them because they get mentioned a lot on the forum, and the guy who started this thread has a SOAD avatar. It just gave me an example of music I don't like, but other people do, so it's to each their own. That's all. I know all too well what Grindcore is. :D
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:31 pm

i dont particularly like it myself i prefer to play more jazz/blues type stuff but i have played it before and it is fun but everyone has different tastes in music.
screamkevin

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:25 pm

I am open to all different styles of music. The hardcore/metal/whatevercore stuff amazes me. Not that I'm into songs about disembowelment and stuff, but guys like Flo from Cryptopsy or Tomas Haake (Meshuggah) are just flat-out SICK. I dream about playing that fast, and they are so damn precise with it! Especially Ray Hererra (Fear Factory) and Gene Hoglan. I do admire the playing.
Me, My Story, and Pics Of My Drums:
http://www.saludacymbals.com/c/ksiegel.html
Endorsing Saluda Cymbals since 2006!
Howie is my homie. Word.