Daney Carey vs. Mike Portnoy

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:03 am

this is just my opinion but i pick danny over mike. i'm not one of those people who think danny is the best drummer in the world but i think he is far better than mike portnoy. personally, i think mike's ego and drumset are bigger than his actual skill level.
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
B-RAD52
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:26 am

portnoy would kick carey in the face...without a doubt...the time signatures portnoy plays in are insane...the grooves he sets are insane, his fills are insane...portnoys hair has more talent then carey does in his whole body!!!
I love drums.

7-Piece Yamaha Stage Custom
Sabian Cymbals
Yamaha Hardware
Aquarian Drumheads
Pro-Mark 2B
LP Percussion
Howepirate

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:40 am

B-RAD52 wrote:portnoy would kick carey in the face...without a doubt...the time signatures portnoy plays in are insane...the grooves he sets are insane, his fills are insane...portnoys hair has more talent then carey does in his whole body!!!

Danny carey has pretty much wrote the book itself on odd time sigs...gimme a break
drummert2k

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:13 am

B-RAD52 wrote:portnoy would kick carey in the face...without a doubt...the time signatures portnoy plays in are insane...the grooves he sets are insane, his fills are insane...portnoys hair has more talent then carey does in his whole body!!!

i dont know about that. they both have their strong points as drummer.

portnoy does a bit of odd time stuff but the beats are all basically just standard beats but puts an accent and brings the kick back in on where ever beat one will be. not really an "odd time "part. more of a 4/4 that gets cut off early or goes a few extra beats.

carey really plays odd times. when you play 4/4 you dont really accent every beat 1. so then why accent every beat 1 in odd time? carey truely understands playing in odd time.

im a huge huge portnoy fan. way more than carey. but i'd have to say, if i was to put money in on a drum off between the two based on OVERALL drumming, my money would have to be in careys corner.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:37 am

i love dream theater and tool, and i think that you can never compare two great drummers.
but i think that as far as odd rhythm and polyrhythms go, then danny seems to have a better knack. sure, portnoy can play in odd rhythms and play without even paying attention to rhythm, but danny carey utilizes them in such an incredible manner. he can play 13/8 with his hands and 6/8 with his feet without missing a beat. i've never heard him drop the ball once.
Beat on.
saveadrumbangadrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 1:26 pm

Mike Portnoy all the way.. there both verry good drummers and do what they do well, but i think mike is much more smoother and has more controll and better timing. And he's very versital when it comes to playing his drums, it's almost as if he's not playing a drum part to the music him and his band produce but its like his drum part alone IS music....
saveadrumbangadrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:14 pm

In my opinion i think that mike is the better drummer here in this situation..but uhh.....there boh verry good drummers and are excelent at what the do. but watching the two play mike seems to be just so much smoother and versatil in hi drumming. It's like his drumming is more musical then the music he makes with his band. But like i was saying he's so versatil and just an amazing drummer and one of my influences along with many others. but i definatley think mike is the better drummer and he has such a beautiful tama kit. i love it!
metal drummer 27
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:13 pm

MIKE PORTNOY 100%
but im only saying that koz im a HUGE dream theater fan and i dont like TOOL.

if you have any doubts about who is better. 3 words - LEARNING TO LIVE!

the drumming on that is beautiful lol
drumcrazyrobb
new
new

Post Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:00 am

I agree that you cannot say BEST DRUMMER as there are so many that play so many styles. What if Buddy Rich or Steve Gadd were metal drummers. There abillity would dominate but thats not how it goes. Every drummer out there has the possibility(spelling) to be great. No one drummer, in my opinion, can be the BEST since there are so many styles and techn.
"A GOOD musicain can play what he thinks. What seperates him from a GREAT musician is WHAT he thinks" Miles Davis.