Daney Carey vs. Mike Portnoy

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Metropolis1021
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:41 pm

OK, obviously i love Dream Theater. :D I have heard danny carey and i really don't like his style. he is a good drummer but as with all music it's opinion.....to a certain point. I just love listening to mike. has anyone heard his drum beat in the second verse of take the time. if you've watched his video "progressive drum concepts" you would see his creativity, it's amazing to hear and fun to play as well. i vote mike as MY FAVORITE, but not as the best. sry, i find it hard to keep my comments short because i have so much to sa.
Tama Starclassic Performer
Sabian Cymbals
Axis AL-2CB
Remo Drumheads
Pro-Mark Sticks
Gibraltar Drum Rack
Multibomber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Jan 01, 2007 7:44 pm

I cant stand DT's singer... his voice hurts my ears. But both Portnoy and Carey are so good. They're suprisingly similar. I think they both has just as much technical skill, and both have great feel. I'd give the slight edge to Danny Carey because he's in one of the biggest bands in the world and has sold millions and millions of albums. But thats just splitting hairs.

They could switch bands and fill in for each other effortlessly.
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:01 am

well im a big fan of both drummers. and the bands both of them are in and have been in. i really liked Danny Careys work on the Green Jelly album haha. Mike Portnoy is insane. has alot of techincal difficulty in his original works and also can play most anything. but he lacks alot of creativity. Danny Carey can also do alot of technical things. im not sure on his work doing other peoples songs. and his creativity does shine through pretty well. very few people sound like him. but the whole best thing is rediculous. honestly these are both great drummers. but as far as who is better thats all personal oppninion. i personaly view Dave Weckl to be one of the most talented drummers alive. not to mention the ones not alive. all of these drummers are good. just a matter of preference. im just glad no body said Niel Peart. i would have to shoot somebody. i think hes very over rated. and dont even get me started on Lars Ulrich.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
hankbomb
new
new

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:59 pm

really like both drummers and grew up with the TOOL records more that DT. Carey is one of my favorites too, but i can't bring myself to say he is better....

i think DC & MP would laugh at this one.....
art is a secret process....
www.myspace.com/bonbomb
www.mhyaghooti.com
sickdrummer
new
new

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:00 pm

I would have to say I prefer Danny over Mike. Obviously both are great and have made the long haul, but I look at the "feel" side of it. To me, Mike is a bit paper oriented. You know, those guys who get out of Berklee and it becomes all about the most technical fills they can compose and perform. Danny just seems to have more of a natural feel for the Tool songs and could probably care less to ever "chart" out his licks.... Both great, but feel always wins.
Ian Macdonald
Grind Percussion
SickDrummer.com
GrindStix.com
SickDrummerRecords.com
WingsOfMajesty
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:20 pm

I honestly can't see why there is any sort of debate about who is better. IMO it's very clear that Portnoy, aside from being technically better, also comes up with better grooves. And above all, aside from being in the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame, he is the youngest drummer to ever be admitted.
Ajax4
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Jan 02, 2007 3:49 pm

"Carey has little else going for him but some fast feet and he plays for a legendary band"

In "rosetta stoned" Carey is playing in 4 with the bass drum, 5 with the left foot on the hihat and 6 with his hands. and it still sounds amazing. nothing but fast feet my arse. carey would own portnoy in my opinion, but tbh its not really important is it?
polyrythemicgenocide
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:19 am

Portnoy poos all over Carey with-out fail.
ONLY THE PROG SURVIVE
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:20 am

polyrythemicgenocide wrote:Portnoy poos all over Carey with-out fail.

No potty training?

I'd hate to be on tour with him!

Eeeew. :)
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
kelvinislord
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:36 pm

im going to have to say danny carey, i dont know exactally why, but i must say i find portnoys solos to be ridiculously boring.
thisismoc
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:40 pm

I suppose you have to ask youself. Could Danny play Mikes parts, beat for beat and have it come out the same? Could Mike play Danny's? I personaly think Danny has more soul as a drummer, while Mike has more flash and show. But to say one is a better overall drummer is like asking whats better, coke or pepsi.

obviously its pepsi.
I dont need to outrun the bear. I need to outrun you.
kelvinislord
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:08 pm

thisismoc wrote:I suppose you have to ask youself. Could Danny play Mikes parts, beat for beat and have it come out the same? Could Mike play Danny's? I personaly think Danny has more soul as a drummer, while Mike has more flash and show. But to say one is a better overall drummer is like asking whats better, coke or pepsi.

obviously its pepsi.

so wait....who's pepsi then?
Xander
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:18 pm

Johnny Cat wrote:I think he did. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Portnoy and all of Dream Theater are GIT, BIT, PIT graduates, etc. But Danny Carey is also considerably educated.

Here's a brief background on his education taken from DannyCarey.org

"At the age of 10 I joined the school band and started taking private lessons on snare drum with Keith Murray. Bryan Ayers was my first drum set teacher I studied with 2 years later. They both had the illustrious reputations of being the best drummers in Paola Ks. Through junior high and into high school I continued private instruction with John Whitney to prepare for a college music education. During my senior year in high school, I also studied jazz with Allen Carter who was a student of Joe Morello. My college experience started out in Emporia Ks. with Rex Stone as instructor but I only lasted 1 semester before fleeing the "sticks" and relocating at UMKC to study with Charmaign Asher-Wiley for 4 years. Michael Udow, who was teaching there at this time, was also a strong influence on my formative years in legit percussion training. My education after college came from going through books and exercises on my own and dealing with whatever the road dished out until I met Aloke Dutta in 1998. His knowledge of classical east Indian drumming is quite vast and eye opening, and he has shared it with me most generously over the last few years."

To say Portnoy is more schooled is simply not true.

It all depends on the context of the bands. You have to look at the songs each band writes. Maybe Portnoy's parts are more techinical than Danny's, maybe they're not. Keep in mind that Portnoy is backing musicians that are also really technical, whereas Danny is not so much. I'm willing to bet if you put Danny Carey in Dream Theater he could come up with parts that were just as, if not moreso complicated than Mike Portnoy's parts, and a lot of fans wouldn't care because they're only looking at technicality anyways.

But the thing is, if you put Portnoy in Tool, it would NOT sound like Tool. Danny gives Tool something that goes beyond technnicality alone. Whether this is good or bad is a matter of opinion.

Neither drummer is better, but I prefer Danny Carey. One reason is because you can put any style of music or percussion in front of the guy, whether it be rock, prog, jazz, pop, classical percussion, Indian Classical, you name it, and he can play it, and play it well.

i agree with what you're saying. Danny Carey also being MY favourite drummer of all time. Portnoy is an amazing drummer. but, as someone has mentioned. his solo's are just so boring and repetative. i hate the vocalist of dream theatre, they would be higher on my list of bands as an instrumental group.
x
there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are all the imaginations of ourselves.

i play Tama Starclassic maple drums
Zildjian and Sabian cymbals
evans skins
vater sticks
pearl, tama and gibraltar hardware
Howepirate

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Danny isnt a show off. He plays more complicated stuff than portnoy.

Theyre equally good drummers considering theyve both made it to pro.

But the 2 together and i bet carey could kill portnoy on stuff...and maybe vise versa

I just sway more towards carey cuz dream theatre is the biggest show off crap band ive ever heard in my life.
break the prism
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:39 pm

in my opinion, even though their styles are much different, they're both equally proficient on drums. i' msure if you ask portnoy to play parts from the most complicated tool song he'd be able to play them, and vice-versa.
personally, i think danny has more of a creative element, although on liquid tension experiment's 2nd album, portnoy plays some shit without even caring what time sig he's in and it still sounds amazing.
Beat on.