Daney Carey vs. Mike Portnoy

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:30 pm

Crusher wrote:I love both drummers
8)
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:40 pm

Dale wrote:
DrumHead15 wrote:Did Mike go to school? Danny sure did. This is kinda like the old Ywenve Malsteen (sp?) vs Eddie Van Halen debate. Eddie has feeling and soul to balance out the speed. Danny equalls Eddie in this one. I prefer Tool to DT. Individual preference.

Mike Portnoy went to berklee. He studied music theory, harmony, arranging, sight singing, and ear training.

At high school level he studied guitar, music theory and harmony; as well as playing in the marching and school band.

I don't mind the 13 year old kid starting the thread, but some of the comments read, to me at least, to be based solely on personal bias.

Who the Hell cares???

These guys are not doing anything new. Prog started back in the 60's. By the mid 1980's it had all been done. These two very talented musicians are following a tradition. Just as all the drummers before them did. And will do in the future.

But anyway, I don't know what I'm talking about. So let the arguments continue!

I dunno. I think the fact that Danny Carey is incorporating a lot of Indian percussion into his playing is something new. Obviously not entirely new as in "never been done before", but really, you don't hear too many drummers doing it, especially in popular music. The only others that come to mind off hand are The Beatles. And they only went so far with it. But again, I'm not saying Danny is the only one who has done. I will definitely say he's applying a lot of it in new ways though.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
loop
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:24 pm

Johnny Cat wrote:I dunno. I think the fact that Danny Carey is incorporating a lot of Indian percussion into his playing is something new. Obviously not entirely new as in "never been done before", but really, you don't hear too many drummers doing it, especially in popular music. The only others that come to mind off hand are The Beatles. And they only went so far with it. But again, I'm not saying Danny is the only one who has done. I will definitely say he's applying a lot of it in new ways though.

I was going to write the same thing, dude :) His ethnic inspiratioms are one of the main reasons I like/listen to tool. It's really innovative in my opinion
dim my eyes if they should compromise
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:43 pm

Ditto the indian vibe with Danny. This really polorizes opinions by taste I think. Any discussion is good as long as it is valued.
Pearl Masterworks Kit, BRX Kit, two MM Acrylic Kits, Roland V-Drums Kit, SPD-15, SPD-20, Octabans, Gong BD, Full Rototom Kit, 12+Snares, around 100 Paiste's & Various Cymbals: Zildjian, Sabian, drum racks: Pearl, DrumFrame VX1 www.myspace.com/drumhead15
ghost_note
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 5:23 pm

uhh my personal favorite is Mike Portnoy. He plays some amazing grooves and his use of the ghost note is incredible....but thats just my oppnion...
Binky...
"X" marks the spot
Soul_Maniac
new
new

Post Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:58 pm

my two fav drummers...but Ill go with the blue drum god..

* Swinging on the spiral of our divinity and still being a human*
Brazilian Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:54 am

animal has them both!!!
Justino
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:58 am

They are both good drummers, but I prefer people like Thomsas Lang, Dave Weckl, or Vinny! To me I can respect some one a lot more if they have played in a symphony or has gone down more than one road of drumming... Lang is the man, oo and Bozzio is also awesome. I just think that these two drummers are almost narrow minded. If i had to pick I'd say Danny, just my oppinion though.
Justino
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:04 am

Justino wrote:They are both good drummers, but I prefer people like Thomsas Lang, Dave Weckl, or Vinny! To me I can respect some one a lot more if they have played in a symphony or has gone down more than one road of drumming... Lang is the man, oo and Bozzio is also awesome. I just think that these two drummers are almost narrow minded. If i had to pick I'd say Danny, just my oppinion though.
Justino

How is Danny Carey narrowminded?

He plays more than one style of music, in more than one band. Just because his style he plays with Tool is the main focus of attention, it does not make him narrowminded.

And both Danny and Tool's philosophy has always been about being open, and trying different avenues of expression.
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
CraigR
new
new

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:38 am

Neither of these drummers really do much for me. I hate Tool, and Portnoy relies on the same licks for every fill or solo. I saw Portnoy in a clinic in atlanta, and his technique was terrible. I dont think either of these guys are the "gods" they are cracked up to be.
They dont hold a candle to guys like Weckl, Colaiuta, or Horacio.
Justino
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:06 am

These guys are not doing anything new. Prog started back in the 60's. By the mid 1980's it had all been done. These two very talented musicians are following a tradition. Just as all the drummers before them did. And will do in the future.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
the guy who said this hit the nail right on the head. Thats why I said they were narrow minded. Not to say that they are not good, danny is the man, awesome drummer, tool is awesome also. But again these types of drummers are not very influentual to me because they are playing a lot of what we have all already heard. TLang and DWeckl are my favorite drummers and it's because they created an evolution of the past not just the same old style. Chick Corea... enough said there. and TLang is just off the wall with his techno rock (i have no clue what to call his style maybe industrial). TLang also is such an invoative drummer that he is changing drumming, I think he is a pioneer that is openeing the door to new styles and techniques.
Well that was my rant I'm not trying to bash any one I just think there are better drummers out there.
Peace
Justino
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:22 pm

I got to give it to Danny, I just feel like Portnoy hasn't progressed since the first DT album, I'm hearing the same quad rolls and splash hits and alternating ride/china 8th rides first to last cd. I give him props on making his odd times so fluid but his feel isn't exactly rock solid as is evident in his live performances. The same goes for him LTE stuff.
Danny on the other hand has progressed from his first Tool cd to his last. I personally believe hes as original as they come and his groove is rock solid at all volumes, unlike Portnoy who I believe is questionable at lower volumes.
With all that said its not gospel but merely my personal opinion, both are playing music for a living and making good money at it so they're
doing something right.
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:34 am

Justino wrote:These guys are not doing anything new. Prog started back in the 60's. By the mid 1980's it had all been done. These two very talented musicians are following a tradition. Just as all the drummers before them did. And will do in the future.
^ ^ ^ ^ ^
the guy who said this hit the nail right on the head. Thats why I said they were narrow minded. Not to say that they are not good, danny is the man, awesome drummer, tool is awesome also. But again these types of drummers are not very influentual to me because they are playing a lot of what we have all already heard. TLang and DWeckl are my favorite drummers and it's because they created an evolution of the past not just the same old style. Chick Corea... enough said there. and TLang is just off the wall with his techno rock (i have no clue what to call his style maybe industrial). TLang also is such an invoative drummer that he is changing drumming, I think he is a pioneer that is openeing the door to new styles and techniques.
Well that was my rant I'm not trying to bash any one I just think there are better drummers out there.
Peace
Justino

That's fair enough then. I'm a fan both of Danny Carey, as well as a lot of the drummers you mentioned, and older prog bands in general, but I still can't say I entirely agree with that. Tool's character and approach has not been done by anyone else, and Danny is a big part of it. They are absolutely following a tradition in a lot of ways. But then again, the use of a Fibbonaci sequence in a song? Haven't seen that before, and even if it's just coincidental, I haven't even seen it pop up as coincidence in anyone else's work. The closest thing I can think of is when Rush incorporated morse code when they were writing YYZ (even though Rush are not truly prog). Haven't seen any other of the lyrical themes and references they use either, and again I cite the use of Danny's Indian percussion work as some fresh stuff.

But I respect your opinion wholeheartedly. :) Thanks a lot for elaborating. Cheers!
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Remo and Evans Drumheads
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:06 pm

I'm really surprised this discussion has lasted this long...
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Chazdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:03 am

Danny Carey has this one all day!
"Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers."

-----Buddy Rich