rack vs stands

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Cretin1
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Racks are something every drummer should look into. Ok, so I know that they have this whole "metal/glam" stigmata atached to them but I promise you, You will NEVER find any other type of set up that allows the versatility of tom and cymbol placement that a rack provides. I have a large set including (but not AT ALL limited to) 10',12',13' rack toms, 14' and 16' floor toms, a 14 timbale, 3 standard rotto toms, two blast blocks, two cow bells, 1 22' ride, 14', 16', 18' crashes, 16' and 18' chinas, 12' and 10' splash and a zill bell. Here's the thing...the rack accomidates all of it. It's sturdy, tependable and with a small amount of modification breaks down and sets up in about 5-10 minutes. That's the greatest thing about a rack, a hack saw will do wonders for it's shape and mobility. Check out the Gibraltar rack components. I have a four sided rack that is held together with hinged bar clamps. Turn one wingnut and it breaks down to fit anywhere.
Drums are to music as water is to goldfish.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:21 pm

I had a rack (basic Gibraltar) at one point and it actually made more work than having stands... took much longer to set up, couldn't get things angled right, everything slipped, freaking expensive... and the list goes on.
I use a lot of combo stands now and I use arms whenever possible.

Another rack tick I got from Derrek Roddy is to use a cymbal stand and mount a horizontal rack bar on that and then mount the rest of your stuff off that horizontal bar. I think he got all his cymbal and toms mounted on 3 bars, which means he only had 3 cymbal stands to move.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Multibomber
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:31 am

I use two small racks, one over each bass drum. Basically the same idea as Roddy. I leave all the cymbal holders and tom holders on the rack when I pack it in the car or trailer. The hardest thing about a rack it getting it in and out of your vehicle. Once everything is out, my set is up and ready to play in 10 minutes, and I play an 8pc with 10 cymbals.
Your boobs aren't "huge"... they're "fun-sized!"
DRUMMER46AND2
new
new

Post Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:31 pm

I have a Pearl rack and have had it for years. I've played many gigs with it, sometimes even leaving toms and cymbals attached on short local gigs or tryouts or even a new practice space. High hat, pedals, snare, throne and rack. That how I do it!
TDRUMP
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:37 pm

I'M A HUGE FAN OF THE RACK. I HAVE ALOT OF CYMBALS, SO TO SET UP STANDS WOULD PROBABLY TAKE ME AS LONG AS IT WOULD TO SET UP MY RACK. I CAN USUALLY SET UP MY WHOLE KIT IN 20 MINUTES MINUS INTERUPTIONS FROM HALF DRUNK RETARDS IN THE BAR ASKING ME STUPID QUESTIONS ABOUT DRUMS OR TELL ME STORIES OF A BUDDY THE GUY HAD THAT HAD THIS WICKED KIT, OR COULD PLAY TOM SAWYER BY RUSH TO A TEE. ANYWAY I'VE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM GETTING MY RACK ON OR OFF A STAGE AND MY RACK TOM DOES NOT SHAKE AS MUCH AFTER HITTING IT MOUNTED TO MY RACK AS OPPOSED TO BEING MOUNTED OFF OF A STAND. ALL IT AROUND, THE RACK DOMINATES. BUT THAT IS JUST MY OPINION.
ROCK ON!!!!
Rockaflodge
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:55 am

Man I know how you feel, I Revaped my kit about 6 months ago and got stands after useing a rack for 6 years, they both have there ups and downs. Stands easyer to travel and setup and take up less space but racks give you the same setup every time and dont coast as much when you add cymbals to you kit ( a rack clamp and cymbal arm are cheapper than a hole stand) but as far as stability, I have pearl 1000 and 2000 series hardwear and is as good as my Icon rack I had, so it all comes down to, space-time-money and what you like best. I hope I was some help.
I Play Hard! I play Loud! I play Pearl!