rack vs stands

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

drummingpraetor
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:00 am

Basically I want to know what you think is best a drum rack or individual stands. Keep in mind, I have 10, 12, 14, 16” toms, 6 piece set with an electronic pad etc. I use to have stands when I had a 5 piece kit then I got a Pearl Icon Rack. I’m in the middle of revamping my whole set and it’s come to the point where I am either getting a new rack or stands. Here are the things I need help with.

- I heard racks have less vibration, is this true? I’m a hard hitter will I notice a big difference between the rack and stands?
- I think stands may be better for setup time because of this. Where I live there’s only one venue in town where you can setup your whole drum rack on side of the stage, then lift the whole thing up there quickly. That’s one place though. If I had stands, I could have everything on their own stand and be able to walk them thru small doors right on stage for quick setup as well. The other thing is I have a three sided rack, 4 legs in all. What if I had a 3 sided rack with 6 legs. Then each side is free standing and it might be easier to fit everything through a door.
- Which is easier to pack up into road cases?
- Which do you believe to be quicker to setup? I don’t mind a few extra mins. Before we get the stage.
- Lame question but had to ask. Which do you think looks better?

I will probably think of more but any insight you can give me would be great. If I get a new rack it’ll be either a curved Gibraltar or curved Icon rack. If I get stands they will be DW 9000 series. Thanks for the help!!
racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:34 pm

It really depends on what type of gig you are playing.

I originally started with a Pearl Rack and loved it. I was in a coverband that played the whole night (one band).

I then changed to the original band thing in Los Angeles where you're one of 4-5 bands so it's hurry up on and off. The Rack just didn't cut it and I had to switch to stands for the same concerns you mentioned (too little space, room to store, moving it quickly).

I have since gotten back into a coverband and I'm back to using a Rack because it's just easier and takes up less stage area.
Jeff Porcaro - Lord of Groove
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:11 pm

Well, I personally like the Pearl Icon 3 rack over ANY stands i've ever seen.

I drumtech for a guy who has a 9 peice Mapex ( with alot...ALOT..of cymbals ), and it is SO much easier to put his rack up, fit everything on and carry it on stage. If he were to have stands..we would be running back and fourth ALOT more than we do now.

What looks better? A rack..DEFINAETLY. No stands, regardless of how they are set up, will look as good as a rack will.

And I honestly urge you to get the Pearl Icon 3. It's versitile, light, and Oh so easy to set up and take down. Did I mention it's light?
Vetis
m
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Dec 11, 2006 6:31 pm

what electronic elements are involved? Racks can transmit vibration to any E-drum mounted on it, stands might at least split them up and you'd have less chances of cross-talk or sympathetic triggering.
if it's a problem, there are several ways of addressing it, but to some degree it's always going to be there with a rack.

I'm having to make the same decision when we tour again.
The rack is SO convenient, but heavy. I'm trying stands with the kit while it's in the studio, but I can already see it's much more trouble than a rack. Especially if you can leave a lot of hardware attached to the rack when you transport it.

Looking forward to hearing some more input here.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:15 am

Well if you don't carry much cymbals for every gig, don't have a lot of hangin toms, then stands are better.
To some extent it's personal choice- a friend of mine uses a crash ride hh 2 toms and a floor tom and he uses a rack. I use 2 crashes 2 rides hh 1 tom and 2 floor toms and I go for stands.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
robb_nightlife
new
new

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:42 am

I think it all depends... obviously if you're playing out with a 4 pc kit and limited number of cymbals then a rack would be overkill. also, someone made a good point about considering live situations where you're loading to stage and then tearing off with other bands doing the same. That can get a bit bothersome with a rack... however if you have a decent sized kit I feel its worth the risk.

I have a moderate sized drum kit and when on the road bring my rack with me so before playing out I can pretty much have everything set up and tuned up before hand and just be able to load to stage immediately. With that said, A LOT of house sound guys and other folks do get annoyed easily with the amount of time it takes to "set up" a rack system before a gig. I honestly don't believe it takes much longer if at all than a stand based kit but who knows... theres always those know it alls out there on the road!
Wake The Light
http://www.myspace.com/wakethelight
Tama shells / Pearl hardware / Ziljian cymbals / Evans heads / Vic Firth sticks
AdamJosephKiesling
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 13, 2006 5:05 pm

I've got 2 rack toms, 2 floor toms, and 9 cymbals, so I use a Pearl Icon rack for many reasons. Ease of setting up, ease of transporting, everything is always in the exact same spot, nothing moves or can fall over. Our singer always jumps on my rack, so it adds to the live show a bit. If you play hard and have a decent amount of gear then the rack is a great choice. Just try to get an older Icon rack that has the short feet (12"). All the new ones come with feet that are ridiculously huge (18-20"). The rack would stand up fine with no feet, so why do you need 4 gigantic feet? Sorry for the rant, I love the Pearl Icon racks though, that's my suggestion.
ShadowDrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:05 pm

I honestly think a rack looks better when its called for like if you have+rack toms/lots of percussion stuff/a whole vault of cymbals/etc.

If you hardly move your set and like your settings exact each time and have the space for it,I'd go for the rack and have stnds as back up if there isn't enough room.
Pearl Drums

Paiste Cymbals

Vater Sticks

Evans Heads
Jaki
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:09 pm

rack.. simple as stands are just annoying
Pure Deaththrash
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:22 pm

well i recomend the rack. especialy for multiple toms
i realy like Gibralter racks. but recently i fell in love with a PdP(pacific) rack. its insane. strong. better than the gibralter. slightly more. but alot better. i prefer a rack whenever possible. just dont overload it. there is a limit. and if it doesnt have good feet it may shift. the Pearl Icon racks are nice but you have to get feet. if not they shit alot. i would definatley go with a rack. you can always add more and stuff to acomodate.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:32 pm

well i've never tried racks :o
but i use a pretty small set-up so stands are perfect for me anyway :lol:
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
evolusean13
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:01 pm

get the icon!
jbreshears
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:15 pm

Well i have a PDP 3 sided rack and it's awesome, i have a 7 piece mapex set with 11 cymbals and my Roland electronic pads on there also, i can set it up, take all the cymbals out of the cases and set up the pads in under 20 minutes because it folds up nice, and it also has it's own level on it so you know it's right, i can't down pearl because I've never owned on but, I've also found one the is great...
Always question reality
AugustHouseDrums
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:23 pm

I used to have the Icon, as a matter of fact I still have it, does anyone in the Southern California area want to buy it??? After a couple tours I went with stands, for a few reasons

1- I went from having a 6 piece with 5 crashes, a ride, a china and a bell, to having a 4 piece with two crashes with the bell on top of one and a ride.

2- They may be a lot of time to set up but stands are way easier to pack into a case. To take all the arms off the rack to get it in the case would be a bitch.

If i were you and didn't want to play a smaller kit I would definitely go for the Icon rack. BUT, I would not want all 3 sides curved!! We played a show with a drummer who had that this and it is massive! I would special order one curved arm and use your old straight sides.
phoenix7289
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:33 pm

I have a 5 piece Tama, with hh's, ride, crash, crash ride, ride, and two chinas. I use stands because of the utter price racks tend to be, I just don't have that kind of money.... If you have it, then yah go for it. I personally like Tama the most, so I wouldn't mind getting the rack that Tama offers that can have arms... however I am fine with stands, but I am considering sometime getting a rack, the stands are getting annoying somewhat...
I proudly play with Tama (snare drums), PDP, Sabian, LP, Paiste, Vic Firth, Aquarian (bass and snare heads), and Remo (tom heads)brands! My biggest drummer influences are Mic Fleetwood, Nicko McBrain, and Mike Portnoy.