Lessons or self-taught?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:12 am

self taught all the way. learned by myself on guitar, did it on drums too.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
drmrdude04
new
new

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:45 am

i would lessons are all around better. you learn proper technique and tricks that your particular insrtuctor knows. i was in band in middle school and high school playing trombone. in fact i still play trombone as a music ed major. in that time i never took drum lesson but did get pointers from the drummer friends i had in drum line and such.

for the most part i am self taught and have been playing for about 8 years but wish i had decided on drums early on and had taken lessons i would be much better off. i never took lessons, in fact, i didnt take trombone lessons until i was in college and i still made the region ensembles on my own in high school. and yea i dont practice as much as i should i have improved greatly in the first semester of lessons i had taken.
and yea you can say some of the greats were self taught but so what. buddy rich. awesome player, self taught. couldnt notate a single thing he played, nor could he teach it. not to mention he was a douchebag. his entire band hated him.
point is, yea you can get pretty far on your own, but you will always need an outside point of view to help you out. even winston marsalis and joseph alessi, argueably the best trumpet and trombone players in the world, respectivley, take lessons.
SABIAN REPRESENT!!!
wolfendenstate
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:53 am

I started off as self taught, then when i got really stuck, I got my dad to teach, but he's self taught. Had about 6 proper lessons, but they were expensive and clashed with my band practices. Now I just search youtube for lessons and try and learn that way.
I'm happy with my playing, but there are so many things I should have learned earlier that I'm trying to catch up to.
If I had the choice I'd definatly would have got lessons.
Captain_Original
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:04 pm

I'd take lessons if I had the cash, but yeah. I'm self taught.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 4:04 am

Self taught with 2 or 3 lessons to help my reading. That was about it. I would have loved to have had lessons if they could have been afforded to me.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:25 am

I started out taking lessons for a couple of years and did the college thing and have grades. But thats 4 years out of nearly 12 so i'm prodomantly self taught! It's good to have a bit of tuition from a good teacher as this helps to fill in the gaps especialy with the theory and sight reading aspects of it! You could just read alot of litrature on the subject but this means less time playing! I have taught a few people myself but wouldn't class myself as a good teacher as i find it hard to explain things and it requires alot of patience! I think everyone should have at least a mentor that can pass down the knowlege they have aquired over the years! In some sense just by joining drum forums you are taking on many mentors and asking people who are already in the know how to achieve things, learn new techniques or how you should be doing certan things! But that doesn't mean self taught drummers are less of a drummer than a tutored drummer! Some of the best drummers not to mention other musicians have been completely self taught!
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare
drumgroovy
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:17 am

I'm self taught, but recently I've started watching videos and practicing at home.

I was more of a fast drummer last time and I have rhythm, but my techniques were totally outta whack.

I'm trying to improve more on tech than just hitting the kit blindly. So I guess lessons and improvs come hand in hand.

You can be very creative and stuff, but if your technicality sucks, there's only so much you can do. On the other hand, lessons can only teach you so much... then it's up to your creativity and imagination to come up with your own shit.
woody476
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:20 pm

I've been playing for 4 years coming up, and I've for the most part been self taught. I've just spent my time watching the drummers when bands preform, going to youtube.com and watching solos to see what I can learn from it. I did take percussion in my Sophmore year last year, it taught me several rudiments that I use in a lot of my preformances. It does help to get lessons, but it does help to come up with things yourself. When I realized Im lacking on a certain aspect of drumming, I try to make a quick practice rythym to help me with it.

but what Im trying to get across is that a little help now and then from other drummers helps a lot. Just going to shows and talking shop with them can teach you stuff you never thought of trying. But thats just me, lol
God Bless
zero_or_die77
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:23 pm

well i was self taught, and i can read drum sheet music. i've only been playing for like 3 or 4 years now, but i'm very happy at where i am at.
"Within the chamber of my soul I find I don't know as much as most do, but I know my destiny." - ZAO
RockDaddy
new
new

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Okay, okay. I give in. I'll start posting instead of reading these things all the time. <br> I'm 90% self-taught. I was in HS drumline for a couple years. So that was my only professional training. But on the set, all self taught. However, I wish I wasn't. I've been playing for 15 years. There are so many tricks and things that I never knew about that I learn all the time. I had to unlearn some stuff too. So I say, do both. You never know what you're missing. If you take lessons younger, you'll be much better off. That way your muscles aren't "set in their ways." so to speak. :) Oh, and take Jazz lessons! Jazz drummers gone Metal are the best drummers out there! I am not one of them. lol! I envy Jazz drummers so.
G-Rad
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:14 pm

I taught myself.

If i try lessons, i'll only learn the same way they did, so to say.
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:45 pm

Self taught 18 years ago,took jazz lessons 9 years ago for control,odd ball timing,finesse.....I'm not the best/not the worst....I just rock the only way I know how. :twisted:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:37 pm

I have been playing for about twenty years now and I am mostly self taught. I played several instruments before coming to drums and with each of those I was very mush immersed in lessons and such. When I picked up drums I did get lessons in the form of being in the percussion section of the school band but my individual time with my teachers was very limited. I learned and continue to learn by getting tips and tricks from my peers.

I would have to say that my best friend Damion has given me most of the instruction I have recieved in the last tens years or so. Outside of that I am totally self taught on the drums. Learning to read drum sheet music was a no brainer after learning to read sheet music for the Sax and Cello.

I tried several times to take lessons from insructers but the first words out of their mouths was "You going to have to learn to play right handed", and when I said I wouldn't, to a person they became very apprehensive about teaching me. I lost interest in being taught by an instructor after that. I get tired of being told by people that I needed to learn to play right handed..why? I know why. Because they just don't feel like turning around their practice kit for me that's why. It is too inconvienent. Who wants to listen to what a teacher has to say when your "handedness" is an inconvienence for tham and they look down on you because of it?

I would go to a teacher but I will bet you a $100 that I will hear those same words again. :cry:
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Sinisterdrums
new
new

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:53 am

ive taken 4 lessons. left handed on right handed kit.

i think im doin ok for a guy whos jsut bein introduced to poly rhythms.
i am a simple man with complicated needs.

strength through diversity.
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:58 am

i had lessons in 8th grade on drumset and it was really helpful...but i really didnt like my teacher..he was pretty generic. and then high school came and drumline came along with it. my drumline instructor also gave out lessons after practice and i did this for all of my four years in drumline and it really got my chops built and my rudiments set which can easily be transfered onto a drumset.but all in all my drumset grooves and patterns are mostly from me goofing around and finding something cool myself and practicing it.if you are self taught just make your practice time worth something and try and learn new things alot.