Lessons or self-taught?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

MrChops
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:26 am

Im just curious as to wheter you guys prefer lessons or being self-taught.

I am self taught and have been playing roughly 14 years and am extremely happy with the level that I am at. It just doesn't make sense to me to take lessons. Besides ... im broke and can't afford them even if I wanted to. :P
Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:34 am

Both. I still take lessons. I also teach drums and percussion.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:37 am

MrChops, if you can, try to find Louis Bellson's book on how to read music. That way, even if you can't afford lessons, you can get things out of the exercises in magazines and books. If you want to be serious and have a career, it makes a lot of sense to learn to read. It's not hard.

- Papa Jo Jones
MrChops
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:39 pm

Dale wrote:MrChops, if you can, try to find Louis Bellson's book on how to read music. That way, even if you can't afford lessons, you can get things out of the exercises in magazines and books. If you want to be serious and have a career, it makes a lot of sense to learn to read. It's not hard.

I can read music. Rather well, I was basically just seeing what everyone else's point of view on whether or not they prefer to take lessons.
Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:52 pm

MrChops wrote:
Dale wrote:MrChops, if you can, try to find Louis Bellson's book on how to read music. That way, even if you can't afford lessons, you can get things out of the exercises in magazines and books. If you want to be serious and have a career, it makes a lot of sense to learn to read. It's not hard.

I can read music. Rather well, I was basically just seeing what everyone else's point of view on whether or not they prefer to take lessons.

Cool. That makes it easier then.

- Papa Jo Jones
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:14 pm

self taught, theres something about taking lessons i dont like, im not sure what it is, but i dont like it, ive been playing for 11 years, and im happy with where i am.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
RockTheArt
new
new

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:24 pm

i was taught some basic rythems form my dad when i was just starting and ive pretty much just built off of that ever since.... it seemed to work for me, although im not to happy about my current skill lvl... sigh... im ganna go practice.....
youngdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:40 pm

Lessons 100%
The best sure-fire way to improve is to study with a professional.
cumndrum
new
new

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:43 pm

i took lessons when i was little now im mostly self taught but i started taking lessons again and if u like ur teacher then its really a lot of fun cuz i always thought i would hate it but i think its worth it. theres a lot of little things to learn that u dont really think about that i think are worth experimenting with.
trowa012000
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:04 pm

I took one lesson and Loved my teacher, but he never called back to reschedule, so I never went back. But 10 years later, I'm still happy with the level I'm at even though I only had one lesson.
So many drums, So little time.
elchris2k6
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:51 pm

Ive been playing for 2 years now self taught, and i like the level im at, i would love to take lessons but its hard to find where im at, i saw what you posted dale, i think im gonna purchase that book
hitadrum
new
new

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:25 pm

Both. Is there really such a thing as self taught? We are all influenced by other people, no man is an island. We all learn from others weather we copy licks from a CD or a drum teacher. I think it's a matter of wich way is most effective. I personally believe that learning from a teacher has the best advantages. And no, personal lessons does not limit ones creativity. You were born a unique individual and nothing can take that away. Rudiment and excersizes give you a drum vocabulary so that you can express your musical thoughts better. It's like learining new words so that you can express your thoughts more effectively when you talk. That's what the rudiments are, the vocabulary of drumming. We ALL play them.
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:39 pm

I think lessons will teach you the rudiments & reading that most drummers need to become better faster--I'm not knocking a self taught, because I am self taught--I just wish that I would have learned the basics first..After 12 years of playing I finally learned how to read on my own & am learning advanced stick control, tricks and off time accenting. I really wish I would have done all this way back when! Working out all the stuff that isn't fun in the begining will advance your playing--learning how to read well will make it easier to get paying gigs & studio work! I did like the fact that I self taught myself but I think I would have gone farther faster with help!
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:26 pm

I've been playing about 9 years. I took lessons from a couple guys for about the first 3 years and my teacher basically showed me how to teach myself how to play new stuff so I've been self taught ever since then.
I do watch every instructional video possible and get as many tips as possible when people are talking. There's always something new to learn. Everyone does everything a little differently and you never know when your way might not work in a situation but somebody else's way (which you probably hate) works much easier. If I had the time and money I'd like to take a few lessons again just to make sure my technique is right and learn a couple things I can't seem to get by watching videos.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
mortem
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:15 pm

Hey guys, first time here! hehe

Well, I'm a self-taught drummer and damn proud about it! 8) But I do consider that lessons are *very* useful. You have to combine both.. it's not a good idea to either stick with only lessons, or only self-teaching. I think that you need both the "natural groove/feeling" built by playing on your own, and the technical skills learned from taking lessons.

I just recently began taking lessons (after 5.5 years of self-taught drumming) and I did find it very very helpful. So.. I'd like to encourage all self-taught drummers out there to look for a pro drummer for some lessons.. this will bring great improvements to your playing!
"Master your instrument, master the music... then forget all that shit and just play."
-Charlie Parker

www.myspace.com/elfungo
www.last.fm/user/m0rtem
http://www.youtube.com/m0rtem