Your Reason

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Jamell
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:14 pm

Hey, I'm not sure if this topic has been made or not, but I couldn't find it, here tell about the drummer who influenced you to play drums in the first place. To me, it's the great Longineu Warren Parsons III who i take lessons from.
www.vater.com
www.dwdrums.com
www.zildjian.com

-Remo Pinstripe
-Coated Ambassador
-Zildjian A custom
-DW 9000
-Vater
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:34 am

The first drummer I really heard was Ringo Starr when I was very very small, because I was brought up on The Beatles. I love Ringo's playing, and he's terribly under-rated and underappreciated, but I still wanted a guitar at that point instead. It wasn't until I heard Neil Peart's drum solo on Exit...Stage Left, as well as the ride pattern he plays on songs such as The Spirit of Radio that I stood back and thought "woah! You can do that with a drumkit?" Shortly after that when I was around 9 years old I saw an old re-run of Buddy Rich on The Muppet Show and that was it. I was hooked.

I was always tapping my fingers on things and driving people insane. Guess it was meant to be. Found a pair of drumsticks my older brother made in shop class and tossed aside and went right to town.
Last edited by Johnny Cat on Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:25 am

I started drumming because we wanted to start a band in high school and I was the only one willing to stop playing guitar and get a drumset, plus my father was a drummer so since I was little I was playing with his old sticks etc... guess it was in me all the time :)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
top drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:30 am

I saw this great solo by Ian Paice from one of DP live videos and I was blown away, the next day I bought myself a pair of sticks and started banging the hell out of my bed
keep on drummin!
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:59 am

Bill Ward from Sabbath & Buddy Miles with the Band of Gypsys album...Nobody swings in rock like Buddy...maybe Chad Smith (ala Blood Sugar Sex Magik)

But who got me into playing actually is my Uncle Nick...he's a beserk jazz drummer & he and my father (who rocks the bass) they got me into playing....It's still awesome every time I get to sit in and rock with my dad. They definatley made me the drummer I am today for sure.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
DrumHead15
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:17 pm

Seeing Peter Criss and that huge set as a small child. Then hearing Neil Peart and John Bonham, and then Alex Van Halen.
Pearl Masterworks Kit, BRX Kit, two MM Acrylic Kits, Roland V-Drums Kit, SPD-15, SPD-20, Octabans, Gong BD, Full Rototom Kit, 12+Snares, around 100 Paiste's & Various Cymbals: Zildjian, Sabian, drum racks: Pearl, DrumFrame VX1 www.myspace.com/drumhead15
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:42 am

Jamell wrote:Hey, I'm not sure if this topic has been made or not, but I couldn't find it, here tell about the drummer who influenced you to play drums in the first place. To me, it's the great Longineu Warren Parsons III who i take lessons from.

You refering to the gr8 Longineu Parsons III of Yellowcard :D he is an insane drummer :D very good, i enjoy his drumming, his father Longineu Parsons II was a very famous musician too, was he not?

anyway, two drummers tht got me into the whole world of drumming were Chad Smith & Taylor Hawkins, being two of my drumming idols, they inspiered me, when i first began drumming.
Still they are two of my biggest heroes today

~Scott~
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
MrChops
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:51 am

I grew up on the later 80's metal. So my style has a very strong metal influence. I would say the two drummers that got me in to playing drums were Vinnie Paul from Pantera and Lars Ulrich from Metallica. When I was like 7 I remember just being blown away by the six-tuplet bass pattern that Lars plays in "one" only to look back and realize... it is very easy.
Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.
Jamell
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:07 am

Scott_Hurford wrote:
Jamell wrote:Hey, I'm not sure if this topic has been made or not, but I couldn't find it, here tell about the drummer who influenced you to play drums in the first place. To me, it's the great Longineu Warren Parsons III who i take lessons from.

You refering to the gr8 Longineu Parsons III of Yellowcard :D he is an insane drummer :D very good, i enjoy his drumming, his father Longineu Parsons II was a very famous musician too, was he not?

anyway, two drummers tht got me into the whole world of drumming were Chad Smith & Taylor Hawkins, being two of my drumming idols, they inspiered me, when i first began drumming.
Still they are two of my biggest heroes today

~Scott~

Yeah, I take lessons from Lp III, his dad was, well IS a famous musician and trupeter in the band Tribal Disorder and does alot of work in New York and Broadway from what I've heard.
Anyone here listen to Dennis Chambers?
www.vater.com
www.dwdrums.com
www.zildjian.com

-Remo Pinstripe
-Coated Ambassador
-Zildjian A custom
-DW 9000
-Vater
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:28 pm

MrChops wrote:I grew up on the later 80's metal. So my style has a very strong metal influence. I would say the two drummers that got me in to playing drums were Vinnie Paul from Pantera and Lars Ulrich from Metallica. When I was like 7 I remember just being blown away by the six-tuplet bass pattern that Lars plays in "one" only to look back and realize... it is very easy.

I love Vinnie. Such a powerful yet tasteful player, and he can groove. And his footwork is great, particularly on "Becoming".
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:24 pm

Nobody really inspired me to start playing drums. I grew up on Pantera, Ozzy, Slayer, all that kind of shit. My parents were always listening to that stuff. i started on guitar but never went anywhere mainly because damn near everybody plays guitar these days. It's harder to stand out as a guitar player than it is to be a drummer. so i commited myself to start playing drums. I stuck with it as kind of an anger management tool, but i started building my technique, learning from whoever I could. I've been lucky enough to drum for some kick ass bands. I had to leave them because of my commitments to the Navy. So, for the next 3 years I have left in the Nav, I'm gonna concentrate on refining my technique and building my chops, so that when I can join up in a band again I'll be a much better drummer... Hopefully.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Crusher
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:59 pm

MrChops wrote:I grew up on the later 80's metal. So my style has a very strong metal influence. I would say the two drummers that got me in to playing drums were Vinnie Paul from Pantera and Lars Ulrich from Metallica. When I was like 7 I remember just being blown away by the six-tuplet bass pattern that Lars plays in "one" only to look back and realize... it is very easy.

Same here. My favorite was/still is Dave Lombardo from Slayer. I also really liked Nick Menza from Megadeth. Currently Chris Adler of Lamb of God is my fave.
Tama Drums - Sabian Cymbals - Vater Sticks - Evans Heads
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:55 am

I don't know if any one drummer inspired me to start. I think it was just music in general. My parents had a few recordings that I'd listen to. My older brother had recordings as well. I was too young to have anything of mine. So I just listened to the albums in the old TV/Stereo set we had. We had all sorts of stuff in there. Jazz, 60's pop, early 70's heavy rock etc.

As time went on my brother bought loads of recordings. He had things like America, Fleetwood Mac, Roxy Music, Deep Purple, Led Zep' etc. But no drummer ever really stood out as far as making me want to play. I think it was the drums themselves.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
razor_chris
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 3:36 pm

The person who made me start one day when I was 10 years old just for fun was my brother Tony Escapa....Ive always followed him. After that everything else started to happen.
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:54 pm

I was watching the Midnight Special late night concert show in the mid 70's, and saw the Ohio Players on there. While I wasn't into the music, they're drummer had a bounce to his playing that captivated me. I soon got into Kiss, Queen, Zep, and other 70's rock that's drummers influenced me. Thank God for Wolfman Jack, and Don Kirshner for putting on musical TV shows back then.