What is your favorite drum company?

Pearl, Tama, Yamaha, DW, Ludwig, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

What is your favorite drum manufacturer?

Mapex
13%
Pearl
12%
Tama
15%
Ludwig
5%
Taye
1%
Yamaha
10%
Drum Workshop (dw) or Pacific
16%
Sonor
4%
Gretch
7%
other (add what I left out in your post)
18%

Total votes: 165
nateeeeeeeee
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:47 pm

id go custom..either SJC or one of those nifty kits. but since they're not up there ill take DW which is expensive as shit!
Airborne Ranger
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:13 am

I'm a Ludwig fan and always will be. My first good set of drums were Ludwigs and I still play a Ludwig Classic Maple set. I also think they are one of the better values for pro-level drums out there. I have a Birdseye Maple Exotic set and the finish and quality is excellent. I looked at all the high-end makes when I bought this set and always kept coming back to the Ludwigs.
dwtoast72
session drummer
session drummer

Post Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:36 pm

Qbs wrote:
drumdug wrote:
Carter wrote:I'd kill to own a dw set:)

Yes, they are sweet...but expensive

I've tried a DW drums (don't remember anything but the "collectors" name and a satin finish ;]) and after playing it and hearing DW drums on a few gigs and other ocasions I can tell that those drums are not for me :)

every drummer has his drum
amberluvskeithmoon
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:27 pm

Why isnt Premier on there?!
I told people I was a drummer before I even had a set, I was a mental drummer. -Keith Moon (The Who)
zildjian_jammer
new
new

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:47 pm

I voted pearl. I have a 7 piece pearl master set and it rocks. but i would love to have a mapex, dw, or ludwig.
liquidrummr
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:02 pm

Recently, I was a featured artist on the Pearl Drums website, so Pearl would get my vote for favorite drums. I've been playing Pearls for around 10 years now. There's no doubt that all the mainstream drum companies make fine drums at every level, from entry level to top of the line. In my 40 or so years of drumming, I've had the privilege of owning and playing Ludwig, Rogers, and Slingerland, back when these companies ruled the roost. It's a shame that most of the drummers of today have never had the honor of playing a Dyna-sonic or Super Sensitive snare drum. I'd put those up against any of the severely overpriced snare drums on the market today. I'm currently playing Pearl Masters Birch Series but I still have a fine set of vintage Ludwig Maple Classics. [/b]
EOTE_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:05 pm

DW and Pacific all the way!
PDP, Tama, and Pearl Drums
DW, Pearl, and Gibraltar Hardware
Sabian, Zildjian, and Saluda Cymbals

www.myspace.com/EOTEband
grey_fox
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm going with mapex, working in a drumshop i can say DW are mediocre sounding, your buying the brand not an excellent sound, i have heard some low end tama's and they are way to dead, i prefere having open drums and being able to muffle them, Yamaha are very good apart from the kits that have those shitty neuvo lugs you really can't crank the snare at all without snapping one of those damn lugs, whover came up with that idea should be shot and have them replace them all with metal versions like the high end kits, Mapex are deffinatly leading the way at the moment. Premiere should just quit i am appauled at their quality control, we had a load of artist series in and the inside ply was splintering and there were cracks around the bass drum port for the rack holder.

I would love a classic Gretsch i have had one in the shop which was a special order and my god it is a beautifull brand of drums!

that's my opinion
Mikkey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:42 pm

If money were no option: D'Amico. Love those kits.

Unfortunately I live in the real world, so for now...Pearl will do. Like their hardware, their versatility and my Reference snare.
keith bushey
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:05 pm

Mapex has it hands down! Look at the construction of a DW kit, and compare it to a Mapex Pro-M Maple Kit, there basicaly the same. Now compare a DW kit to a Mapex Orion kit. No comparison! Mapex quallity in the Orion series has no competition.
MikeRowland
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:56 pm

keith bushey wrote:Mapex has it hands down! Look at the construction of a DW kit, and compare it to a Mapex Pro-M Maple Kit, there basicaly the same. Now compare a DW kit to a Mapex Orion kit. No comparison! Mapex quallity in the Orion series has no competition.

Really? I have owned every series of Mapex drum at some point within the last five years, as well as a DW Collector's, Pearl Masters, and assorted snare drums from Tama, Ludwig, Slingerland, and more. I am not going to pick a favorite brand, but I will tell you that there is absolutely no comparison in the finish between any Mapex kit and a DW Collector's. Try this: take a drumkey or a cymbal wingnut, and throw it on the top of a DW lacquered finish kick drum as hard as you can. Then do the same thing on a Mapex kit. Tell me what you see. I have done this before (I have a notoriously bad temper). I challenge you to find a scratch on my DW kick that goes through ALL of the lacquer into the stain. My point is that the Clear Coat is much thicker and more durable on my DW's. I am not putting Mapex down at all, conversely, the Saturn Series kit is one of the best sounding kits I have ever owned.

If I could pick any kit right now, I would probably pick up the Tama Bubinga series drums. They sound so huge!
PalmdaleDrumming4Life
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:35 pm

Im a DW guy they're expensive but i've always loved them and will someday have one.
Have a PDP write now and it gets the job done.
Who-Leo Makes Beats.
TOS on DRUMS
new
new

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:56 pm

Well growing up I had Slingerlands and Ludwigs. Currently the Complete kits I have include - DW , Tama Starclassic , Allegra w / wood hoops on all drums , Mapex "M" series. The snares I own are - vintage ludwig , Pearls , Ayottes w/wood hoops, Dw, Tama, Bearing Edge.

What I have learned is that any quality drum can sound great. Also your kit may sound great in one room but bad in another. I was playing a steady coffee house gig a few years back and in that room the only snare that sounded good was a 12" allegra with wood hoops and it f-in rocked in there.

I have one of the DW EQ snares and I have noticed that It might not sound great at first in a new room but with a few adjustment of the venting you can get a good sound every time.

The loudest snares I have, with out a doubt are the Ayotte and Bearing edge drums with wood hoops and single ply, standard issue Remo Coated Ambassador. (The wood hoops like on the bass drums not those Yamaha wood hoops.)

Currently my finances are in the toilet and I am having a herd time trying to keep up on the storage unit payments where I keep my gear but if things change I would spend my money on some of the custom builders that have popped up all around the US.

I currently am impressed with the the drums Rikki Rocket, drummer from Posion, is making. Check them out at www.RockettDrumWorks.com. I am not of fan of the hair and make up bands nor the drumming of Rikki Rocket but these drums are a work of art.
Timekeep69

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:13 pm

Rikki's a cool guy and they build some great looking drums. I shy away from paint on drums because it's expensive and if they get dinged you're screwed. At NAMM that clown kit was $10k. I think they sold it for $7500.00.
www.pjclevenger.com

www.medicinemandrumsaz.com

DML Special: 20% off all drums.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights do make a left!
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:41 pm

Mapex hands down.

I dig Sonor too, but they're kinda pricey, and Premier is up there on my list. Tama makes a good kit too.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)