Great songs ruined by inappropriate drumming

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Slammz
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:35 pm

St Anger and some local bands around my city! Some stuff fits while other stuff is way over the top!!
1985 Tama Superstar with 3.5x14 BP Mapex snare drum
Sabian/one Ziljdian Cymbals
Vater 3A Fatback Drumsticks in Nylon Tip
Evans (switching to Remo soon)
necroman138
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:56 pm

I can't stand overdrumming. When you add just the right amount, it becomes one piece of music. not just instruments playing together.
I just play drums. I suck at everything else. I'm not smart. I'm not funny. I'm not good looking. I just play drums.
iminaband
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:15 pm

I think most of us can agree with two words.... "Lars Ulrich"

thats all im gunna say
It's not how good you are, just how good your equipment is :) Um... NOT
Flatliner
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:27 pm

Anything that has that early 80's synth snare sound on it instantly gets my vote, it kills and connection I have to the music.
M.U.S.I.C.- Make up something interesting and complementary- Neil Peart

Without music, Life would be an error- Friedrich Nietzsche
The Duster
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:38 pm

How great can a song really be if the rhythm blows?

I think a larger list would be songs made great BECAUSE OF inappropriate drumming. :lol:
Desire cannot be forced.
Bluestonered
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:22 am

drummingpraetor wrote:What songs do you think were ruined by inappropriate drumming?

I can't think of one particular song at this very moment, but I would start of by mentionning Pearl Jam's "No Code" and "Yield" albums. I'd love to hear those albums recorded with any of PJ's drummers instead of Jack Irons.

NOOOOOOO!!! Yeild is my favourite PJ record. I love em all but don't diss Irons because he was different. Believe me I was such an Abbruzzese advocate when I was 12-13 and my drum teacher was dismissive and called him a show-pony, poser etc etc (as a fan, this cut me) Then Irons came along and I was SO dissapointed. BUT! If you get to a stage wher you open-your mind up and have an unbiased listen, you'll hear some fantastic playing by Irons. He has a great right foot and a different approach to cymbal work and Ive taken abit from ALL pearl jam drummers including Matt Cameron and incorporated it with my own style. He had some great fills that are simple but VERY effective. I respect Irons greatly even though it took time to adjust to change!
Last edited by Bluestonered on Sun Apr 08, 2007 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bluestonered
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:27 am

I can quote Max Cavillera of Sepultura saying at the Big Day Out in Sydney a few years ago, that AC/DC are the best rock band in his opinion and a big influence. Funny, their music is nothing alike. But just goes to show the impact they've had.
iatemygoat
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:38 am

http://www.myspace.com/sephusrox

metal drummer thrown into a rock-a-billy/awsome/rock band

haha listen to Super Bistro you'll hear what im talkin about.

and yeah the drummer is me *ashamed smiley face wasnt avaliable*
Rippyblood
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:59 pm

I heard a Metallica song the other day on the radio and the snare just bugged the living crap outta me.
Hikikomori
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:29 pm

all the kids on youtube uploading themselves playing shitty drums from emo bands? ruins already horrible music even more?
Screw 30 posts I'mma post more than greg.
hovis21
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:57 pm

The first thing that struck me about St. Anger was the drum sound. I didn't even have a kit at that point in my life but i always 'tune in' to the drums on everything i listen to.

The second thing that struck me was the rest of the music - guitars, bass, vocals. They were just as bad.

So to me St Anger is rubbish music ruined by rubbish drumming.
wombat_drums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:14 am

whoah, some serious lars bashing going on here. but id agree that the snare sound on st anger is one of the worst sounds ive ever heard. cringe worthy. but on some of the earlier metalica there was some good drumming. and you couldnt say it was overplayed at all. most the beats were fairly simple yet fitted the songs very well. but st anger does suck. lets hope they've got there act together for the new album.
skatroma
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:53 pm

I always thought that song "Let Your Light Shine Down" by Collective Soul could have used a bit more complicated drum piece to enhance the song...but as it is, it's not awful.
TheYardstick
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:39 pm

Pretty much anything on Drum Nation Vol. 3, you find some good tracks like Jason Bittner. But, most are just metal drummers trying to play double-bass as fast as they can, they completely throw off the bassline.
"I think we ought to read only the kind of books that wound and stab us. If the book we are reading doesn't wake us up with a blow on the head, what are we reading it for?"-Franz Kafka

My Last.fm
skitch
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:40 pm

[quote="masonvonritchie...but,I personally don't like anything(drum wise)from AC/DC.Every song sounds the same....to me that is boring.
[/quote]

I'll agree about ACDC. But the drummer's style is the only style that would fit with their type of music. Imagine another drummer with them that played a lot of technical beats and polyrythms with their songs. That would be a nightmare to say the least. But a lot of their songs do sound the same, probably because the guitar parts are all major chords with no variation. But, I was never an ACDC fan to begin with so I'm a little bias toward them.[/quote]

Yep, that's what producer Mutt Lang wanted and that's what he got! After all, that is the producer's job!