Best sounding drums

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Crusher
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:07 pm

Slayer, Iced Earth, Lamb of God, Mudvayne, Shadows Fall, Tool
Tama Drums - Sabian Cymbals - Vater Sticks - Evans Heads
TrunJun
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:11 pm

I like Gabe Serbians cymbal selection with The Locust. Probably my favorite overall sounding drummer is Sam Watson from The Apex Theory... I also like the way Nick Barker's drums sound on the last Dimmu CD (Death Cult Armegeddon). If only John Longstreth could get his levels correct in a studio... god damn undermixing...
Its not even that hard to play, its just hard to count! Fuck it!
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:20 pm

Danny Carey's kit, Neil Peart's drum sound on "Counterparts" and his snare drum sound on "Presto", Dave Weckl, Buddy Rich, Ringo Starr on the early Beatles' recordings, Gavin Harrison on Porcupine Tree's two albums "In Absentia" and "Deadwing", and I also love Tim Alexander's old drum sound. Hmmmmm. Steve Smith's Sonors sound really good. Charlie Benante's Tamas on Anthrax's "Sound of White Noise". I love his kick sound especially. Vinnie Paul's sound on "Far Beyond Driven" is great. Dave Grohl's kit on Queens of the Stone Age's "Songs For The Deaf". Josh Freese on A Perfect Circle's "Mer De Noms". Heck, might as well mention Tim Alexander's kit on the first track off of that album as well. Snare sounds just awesome with the first few hits of "The Hollow".

ALL of the drummer's on the "Burning For Buddy" CDs have amazing sounding kits.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
tonytonytony
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:39 pm

my favorite drum sound on an album is Brian "Brain"'s on Primus's Brown Album, how it's all Zeppy sounding. i like that.

i am a huge fan of that sound. of course i really dig bonham's sound as well.

but yeah, if i could ever have that drum sound on an album, i'd die a happy man.

pedro the lion's "control" album has that same sort of sound.

it's just so raw and natural. i love it.
Sinisterdrums
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:40 pm

I honestly think Bobby Jarzombeck from Iced Earth/Demons & Wizards/ Spastic Ink

on the Demons & Wizards album-Touched by the Crimson King the set has so much clarity its almost as if you were there listening to the set. without the background distortion of a studio or feedback from the amps.

honestly that whole cd was mixed to sheer perfection, i mean perfect. everything was smooth.
-Rick
i am a simple man with complicated needs.

strength through diversity.
Mantra
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:51 pm

I like OCDP drums best sounding
far as best sounding drums for a musician i woulud definatly go with Jimmy Sullivan from Avenged Sevenfold just overall style with the drums is amazing
Bonzo21290
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:20 pm

i think simon phillips has great tom sounds. i really like keith carlocks snare sound, and steve gadd's bass drum sounds kickass
Zildjian
Pearl
DW
LP
Evans
Vic Firth.
KylePlaysCandCs
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:13 pm

My drums sound the best!!! C & C's rule the fuckin world!
www.myspace.com/ccdrums
www.candccustomdrums.com
genx3117
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:29 pm

KylePlaysCandCs wrote:My drums sound the best!!! C & C's rule the fuckin world!
www.myspace.com/ccdrums
www.candccustomdrums.com

I agree to an extent... my 10 ply birch c and c snare is probably the best ive ever heard recorded. but my brady jhara and bird's eye maple black panther arnt far behind.

i love the sound Chad sexton's, jimmy (the rev)'s, and Chris Adler's kicks. they are all very good sounding. and i love the sound of Airto's, Eloy Cassagrande's, and my friend, dana's Toms.

But the person with the best sounding overall set has to be thomas lang. his set, from the kick to the snare to the auxillery percussion and everything in between, sounds sooo damn good together
Endorsing Pro-Mark Sticks And Accessories
Playing on:
Tama Drums
Remo Drum Heads
Tama Hardware
Latin Percussion
Zildjian Cymbals
Trash
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:14 pm

Laugh all you want.

The drum sound on My Sharona totally kicks ass.

The sounds Rundgren got on Invaders Of The Heart by Cheap Trick.

Most of the stuff on the middle 70s rekkids by Sweet (and what a totally awesome drummer).

Mrs. Green by The Posies.
freddy20222
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:41 pm

my snare drum sounds great and my toms sound amazin
~Freddy~
enjoytheride85
new
new

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:59 am

I would have to say Carter Beauford's kit is amazing... everything about it.
Carter is the man ::period::
Jerry138
new
new

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 4:41 am

I think Dave Grohl had a good sound going. he should have stuck to drumming, in my opinion.
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:32 pm

Chad Scott wrote:Jordison has my favorite snare sound-Carry has my favorite Bass sound..
Beauford has my favorite tom sound..Bonham has my favorite floortom sound...That sound would be my dream kit!

This is freaky, but I can picture that sound and you're right... it would be amazing!
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Jerry138 wrote:I think Dave Grohl had a good sound going. he should have stuck to drumming, in my opinion.

You know what amazes me? Way back when Nirvana was going strong, Modern Drummer featured David Grohl on the cover and they got so much flack for featuring a "no talent bum" on the cover, people actually cancelled their subscriptions.

Now people respect him as a drummer and not as a front man!

In my opinion, David Grohl is a fine musician, writes some great tunes, plays 'em well on MANY instruments and he's the only guy from Nirvana that still has a career. (as far as I know, anyway)

He's a mellow, soft-spoken guy that never seems to get the respect he truly has earned.