new and interesting

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

spudzzz
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:15 am

guys - need exciting new things to listen to

no self promotion, but someone who you have seen or heard that made the hairs stand up on your neck

my vote would go to Toupe

saw them a couple of times at festivals in the UK and was genually excited after they played

check them out
http://www.myspace.com/toupe

best drummer I have seen in a very long time, and 2 bassist - a bit like primus, but very individual
spud
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:31 am

What styles are you interested in?
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:58 am

What styles are you interested in?

- Papa Jo Jones
spudzzz
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:30 am

Dale wrote:What styles are you interested in?

I listen to everything - needs to be passionate, but rocky, poppy, funky, jazzy, ska(ie) (if thats a Word), just like hearing new sounds
spud
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:24 am

Have you heard things like Thrust, by Herbie Hancock? That's from way back in the 70's, but the drumming is great. Or Tony Williams Lifetime and things like that? It's just that it's hard to recomend when I'm unaware of what you've already heard. For funky stuff you could check out Maceo Parker's School's in. That's his most recent I think and the drumming is great. The Live at the Blue Note recording by Michel Camillo with El Negro on drums is very good.

- Papa Jo Jones
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:44 am

Also check out Bill Frisell's recordings. Especially with Kenny Wollesen on drums. He's really creative.

- Papa Jo Jones
x__matt
new
new

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:58 am

I went to the GreenBelt arts festival this summer, and spent most of my time at an unsigned stage listening to new talent.

Favourite bands there were Numinous (www.myspace.com/numinousband) with a kick-ass groove and a vocalist who can drink amazingly well drunk as a skunk, and secondly Clarky Cat (http://www.myspace.com/clarkycat) who play Arctic Monkeys style indie rock, but with a drum machine instead of a drummer!

Best bet for finding new bands is try the 3-click-technique... go to a band you like on MySpace, click a band in their Top Friends list, do the same another two times, and you sometimes end up on a great (but small) band who then become your next favourite band!
spudzzz
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:00 am

thanks guys - very helpful - need to open my mind and widen my boundries
spud