Left Handed Drummers

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

messeduplefty
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:01 pm

I'm a lefty and play with a righty setup. Sometimes, i'll put an extra floor tom to my left and/or an extra snare on the right next to my foor toms to help with fills. I've tried a few times to switch to a full lefty setup, but I don't have the time to dedicate reteaching. Especially with my feet.
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:39 pm

Especially with my feet.

It is precisely that reason that I have never been able to play decently behind a right handed kit. So I guess I know how you feel, I just cannot switch my feet.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
reefer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:47 pm

I'm a lefty, and play lefty. Ever since my first teacher told me to turn my kit around because he saw how awkward I was behind a right-handed kit, I've never looked back. I've helped students with this as well because far too many lefty's are told they have to play right. I have one student who learned very little with his first teacher playing right, and since I got him to switch setups, he's more the doubled what he learned. Its good to see that there are other lefty's out there, I've bumped into a few in my limited travels. I just think it sucks that there's this perception out there that you have to play right-handed, because its wrong and very constricting. I always watch and ask my students how comfortable they feel - left or right - its wrong to force them to play a specific way. I think they each need to develop naturally, right, left or open handed.
Zebra-powered rock and roll
http://www.themicronitefilters.com

Check out:
http://www.getbentrecords.com
for great independent music you've never heard
The MP
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:15 pm

i do both ive found leftys have more options open to em on tom play in there grooves like john blackwell (im not sure if hes lefty it might just be his style) its good to have both underbelt i say for many reasons
Pearl,Sabian,promark...cant go wrong with that.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:28 pm

sharkscott wrote:Wait a second..you have actually been a music store that had a drum-set set up LEFT HANDED!?!?!?!?!?

In my life I have NEVER seen a kit in a music store set-up left handed..EVER!!!
It is a running joke between me and my friend Damion(who is also a drummer and left handed like me) that if we ever saw one that we would completely freak out!!!

I swear I have never had the pleasure of sitting behind a left handed kit in a music store. EVEN WHEN I WAS BUYING ONE THEY WOULDN'T DO IT!!!!

Yeah occasionally Sam Ash and Guitar Center (and Mars when they were still around) will set up ONE kit left handed, but it's very very rare that I see this. There's another drum shop down here called Resurrection Drums. They don't have much floor space in their North store (hopefully they're getting a bigger one when they move in January), but if you're a lefty and they've got a guy available to help you then they'll spin the set around for you.

I think David Husvik from Extol might be a lefty that plays righty. Brent Duckett from Becoming the Archetype studied him when they toured together and said that David starts all his rolls with his left hand.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
lv4worship
new
new

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:54 pm

I also suffer from the left handed curse. When I actually play a set that I set up, I play open style. when I sit in on another drummer's kit, I play VERY carefully.The open style rig is awesome!! I highly recomend it. South paw drummers..... Phil Collins(does he count?) Wil Denton(Steven Curtis Chapman)
Tgaff08
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:26 pm

i think the kid from hanson wsa a lefty
Gaff

Coppell Drums

Pacific Drums by DW
Sabian
Remo
Vic Firth
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:51 pm

actual left handed drumming is so hard if you're right handed,which is why i play open, because its easier, but now that the idea is in my head, i think im going to set up my drums left handed just to try it out.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
Go Champale
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:36 pm

Hey Shark....I am lefty and I used to work at Sam Ash and I would always have a kit set lefty....just to spread the love. It was funny to watch right-handers come in an go ..awww man its set backwards...and try to play it. Feel my pain dude.
Check out ... El Ten Eleven
drumsobessed
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:33 am

zac hanson from Hanson is a left handed drummer.

krum.
Strychnine Groove
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:59 am

I am right handed but I play open handed. I use two rides one on the left and one on the right. I get alot of syncopated ride patterns this way. I will play a beat using the hi hat and then see what I can throw in on either ride cymbal. I will also cross up on the hi hat like LRLR for visual effect. I do play some stuff right handed so I am kinda ambidextrious, but not totally. I have found that being able to do this gives you alot more coordnation and allows you to come up with some pretty interesting patterns.

Of couse when I do this kind of stuff my guitarists look at me like huh! :lol:
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:14 am

Of couse when I do this kind of stuff my guitarists look at me like huh!

My guitarists are always looking at me like that!!
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Moondrummy
new
new

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:40 am

Steve Hewitt from Placebo is a lefty too!
I never tried to play lefthanded, but I maybe will, who knows??
Drumodad
new
new

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:06 am

I am a natural right handed drummer.
I started playing open handed about three - four years ago.
I have an x hat on the right side of my set,used to have it dead center.Regular hi hat stand in the normal righty position.
I have a ride cymbal over the floor tom and one over the hi hat.
Double bass pedal.
I find leading with the left really opens me up to so many new grooves I would not normally play.
I like to switch leading hands back and forth while playing.
I find the left foot for bass drum is the hardest limb to get steady, but am getting it there.
Left, right , or open, you should spend time on your non dominate hand,
Did anyone else see Mike Mangini at the Drum Festival?
He had two sets on stage, one lefty, one righty, like usual, he killed it playing either way.
Now I must pat a fla fla out of here.
veklynvhyz
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:38 pm

yea im left handed, and finding other left handed drummers is diffucult, anytime i go anywhere and theres a drumkit, its always right handed so i can never play that well, i can play a right handed kit w/ a little decency but its just not the same :(