Getting started: snare drum or full kit?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

you started with

snare drum
21
34%
full kit
18
30%
full kit + snare drum
22
36%
 
Total votes: 61
User avatar
vincemie
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:41 pm
Location: new brunswick nj

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:41 am

i started on a drum kit playing along to my favorite bands and playing in a band of my own when i was 13, now here i am at 26 learning the first pages of stick control on a pad....im trying to smooth out my technique and go back to basics
User avatar
SlackBackLazy
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 477
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:14 am
Location: Cornwall, England

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:19 am

zen_drummer wrote:
SlackBackLazy wrote:
tapeworm97 wrote:why not have a kit that comes with a SNARE and practice your rudiments on it. thats how i learned rudiments thru.


I agree, I don't see the point in having a kit without a snare, seems odd to me, I had a full kit but started on the snare eith rudiments, but then moved them around the toms


If I'm reading correctly, this wasn't about gathering opinions of what we think is best... I believe the poll was how did YOU start... At least that is what it has turned into!

should I make up a story , or simply state what happened?


Sorry zen *sheepish look*
My favourite word is badass

Mapex M birch - purple
Paiste - Alpha hats and ride, 2002 crash, twenty splash

Image

Image
User avatar
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1898
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Rochester NY

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:13 pm

SlackBackLazy wrote:
zen_drummer wrote:
SlackBackLazy wrote:
tapeworm97 wrote:why not have a kit that comes with a SNARE and practice your rudiments on it. thats how i learned rudiments thru.


I agree, I don't see the point in having a kit without a snare, seems odd to me, I had a full kit but started on the snare eith rudiments, but then moved them around the toms


If I'm reading correctly, this wasn't about gathering opinions of what we think is best... I believe the poll was how did YOU start... At least that is what it has turned into!

should I make up a story , or simply state what happened?


Sorry zen *sheepish look*


No worries... I had to go back and re-read the first post to see if I got it right!
Image
I love Cheese and drums
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:01 am
Location: Philadelphia PA

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm

I say full kit I started on a pad though and I often regret not urging my parents more to get me a kit (plus I was in a band and really needed a kit) I feel I missed out on some much needed set time which I then spent the next two years catching up with the other drummers in my High School.
Hey My names Dave
Slingerland, Yamaha, and Mapex drums
Saluda Cymbals
I want a Medicine Man Snare

Visit http://www.myspace.com/onceforgotten18 and listen to their new song Our Darkest Desires!
User avatar
Kris
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:22 pm
Location: Houston,TX

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:31 pm

I say snare drum first- learn the basics,stick control,rudiments, time and time signatures, and the discipline of practice, then learn how to expand it. Too much at one time can lead to distraction and undisciplined training/learning.

- How many times do you sit behind your kit and just work snare without touching anything else? Even though you know you should be concentrating on the rudimental work that you told yourself that you wanted to do.
Be Strong to Endure - Endure to be Strong !
www.krisardolino.com
http://www.myspace.com/krisardolino
Image
okjohne
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 887
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: Denver

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:54 pm

This is why we need Billy back. He lends credibility. Zen is great and should be dually respected. Fact is if you can not exicute basic rudiments on the snare you have a long road ahead. Buddy Rich was self taught but watch how he spends time on the snare. Look at his sticking and tech. If you cant play one drum properly how ya gonna play 5 + cymbals? This is a no brainer. Oh, I started on snare. My instructer would not even let me look at the kit until all 26 rudiments were mastered to his satisfaction. My band leader let me cheat.
User avatar
tapeworm97
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1326
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:41 pm
Location: El Paso, TECHSUS

Post Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:57 pm

zen_drummer wrote:
SlackBackLazy wrote:
zen_drummer wrote:
SlackBackLazy wrote:
tapeworm97 wrote:why not have a kit that comes with a SNARE and practice your rudiments on it. thats how i learned rudiments thru.


I agree, I don't see the point in having a kit without a snare, seems odd to me, I had a full kit but started on the snare eith rudiments, but then moved them around the toms


If I'm reading correctly, this wasn't about gathering opinions of what we think is best... I believe the poll was how did YOU start... At least that is what it has turned into!

should I make up a story , or simply state what happened?


Sorry zen *sheepish look*


No worries... I had to go back and re-read the first post to see if I got it right!


thats a head-scratcher. should be more like , i think it should be renamed to how did you learn...drumline and/or kit if thats what the poll is really about.
<img src="http://www.freemyspacegraphics.com/Graphics/Funny_Animations/images/funny_myspace.gif">
User avatar
eml
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:46 am
Location: Vaasa, Finland

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:52 am

Kris wrote:I say snare drum first- learn the basics,stick control,rudiments, time and time signatures, and the discipline of practice, then learn how to expand it. Too much at one time can lead to distraction and undisciplined training/learning.

- How many times do you sit behind your kit and just work snare without touching anything else? Even though you know you should be concentrating on the rudimental work that you told yourself that you wanted to do.

You're absolutely right, it's really hard to focus on rudiments when you have your whole kit before you ready to be rocked. I do wish that I had more discipline (goes for school too). I'm ordering Stone's Stick Control the next time I'm ordering from Thomann, I'm really seeing how great it is to know rudiments.
Vanden
session drummer
session drummer
Posts: 916
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:07 pm
Location: Exeter, England

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:41 am

I started on a snare drum. But I was so young I don't feel that it has benefitted my playing.
Mapex
Sabian AAX
Vic Firth
<IMG SRC="http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg87/Vanden92/DSCN1988.jpg" WIDTH="171" HEIGHT="128" BORDER="0" ALT="my drum kit">
DrumsPlus
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1785
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:03 am
Location: Galesville, WI

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:17 am

I've have always been a big one for starting on just a snare. Starting with rudiments on a snare is a great way to learn and makes the transition to a set easier and less frustrating IMO. The more you can do with less, the better you will become with more... :P
Image
_____________________
SilverFox HR Sticks
1e&a
beginner
beginner
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:31 pm

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:56 pm

SlackBackLazy wrote:
zen_drummer wrote:
SlackBackLazy wrote:
tapeworm97 wrote:why not have a kit that comes with a SNARE and practice your rudiments on it. thats how i learned rudiments thru.


I agree, I don't see the point in having a kit without a snare, seems odd to me, I had a full kit but started on the snare eith rudiments, but then moved them around the toms


If I'm reading correctly, this wasn't about gathering opinions of what we think is best... I believe the poll was how did YOU start... At least that is what it has turned into!

should I make up a story , or simply state what happened?


Zen this whole reply seems a bit heavy handed. In your thread about keepin it real, you said you arent a Moderator cuz you can be a little harsh. I guess you werent kidding. Slack Back Lazy's post was'nt "a made up story" it wasnt even off topic.

Your post in this thread had a little story to go along with your opinions about what you think is best. You have alot of insight and drum wisdom, but i have to ask...

...Why so serious?

i started with a pad and metronome. I got to use my friends drum set once a week. After about 6 months i bought a used kit of my own. I still make sure i spend time with just the pad or snare working on rudiments. Usually for the first 15mins of my practice routine.
User avatar
J-rod
drumming adept
drumming adept
Posts: 360
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Oneonta New York

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:29 pm

i started on snare when i ws in fourth grade, didnt upgrade to kit till i was in 8th grade, but in the end i think it was helpful to get a decent handle on basic hand technique and rudiments on the snare before moving on and applying them to the kit.
dw collector series maple
zildjian and saluda cymbals
dw and yamaha snares
dw hardware
User avatar
break the prism
groove master
groove master
Posts: 1438
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:22 pm
Location: Danbury, CT

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:26 pm

I got my start on Bodhran, a completely different style of drumming. After that I played timpani and vibes, and then the kit.
Whether or not you start on the snare, you should always know things like meter and note value before you move to a kit.
Beat on.
User avatar
Mitchell?
groove master
groove master
Posts: 2432
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:13 pm
Location: Lexington, KY

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:31 pm

The started with a full kit, but my teacher had me work on Stick Control.
_...:::/ Jimbob2020 agrees \:::..._
ImageImageImage