Getting started: snare drum or full kit?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

you started with

snare drum
34%
full kit
30%
full kit + snare drum
36%

Total votes: 61
drummingpraetor
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:01 pm

Drummers 15-20 years ado often started out training on snare drum techniques first, before moving on to drumset. But I don't get the impression that's the case so much anymore - that's what's prompting this poll.

So what instrument you got started on? The third choice in the poll, both snare and drumset, indicates that in addition to practicing drumset, you also spent time concentrating specifically on snare technique.

Thanks for your participation!
drummert2k

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:25 pm

if you cant play a snare drum how can you sit behind a kit and play? (at least play properly and not just swing at stuff) learn your note values, rudiments, and techinque and then apply what you knnow to a drumset
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:32 pm

I'm not a big fan of starting w/ just a snare/practice pad - I myself started with a whole kit and I don't regret that because I believe that a snare won't do you any good groovewise
be funky!
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:52 pm

I started on the armchair.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
top drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:16 am

I started on pillows :)
keep on drummin!
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:17 am

I also started on some pillows arranged to mimic a drumkit ;] and a lot of air drumming ;)
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:19 am

I started on pillows and armchairs as well. I wish now I hadn't. Some people complain that they were "forced" into lessons when they were a kid. I wish i was. Oh well.

All the same I had to vote for snare/practice pad first, then kit after. I think now it's the best way.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:53 am

I got started on the snare first...I think it's the best thing to do...I have all my students do at least a couple of months on a snare/pad...teaches the rudiments & the sort.

You can totally hear a drummer that learned that way...their hands are usually 100% better than someone who just jumped on the kit and started banging away...people sometimes forget all the rudimentary things are the foundation of solid drumming.

to me it's the same thing as playing a massive drum kit, prior to being able to swing on a 4 piece kit...Sure it's more flavor, but it's all for not if you can't apply it usefully....
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
drum_bum
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:06 am

started on mums best sofa pillows..dont think we have got them anymore.dont no why..
Mapex M Birch kit
Zildjian cymbals
Evans G2 heads
Pro Mark sticks with vatar grip tape
DW double kick
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:02 pm

i started with a full kit, although i wish i'd spent time on just a snare as well learning grips and rudiments.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
Wyl E Peyote
new
new

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:55 pm

I would start with neither, a practice pad all the way, you can't play if you can't control your stix.
Turn the drums down?? F**K THAT! TURN THE BLOODY AMPS UP!!!
Chazdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:27 pm

I Started at school in 4th grade band. Played snare, triangle, tinpini, bass drum, all that good stuff. Then in 5th grade band I got into Jazz band and learned to play a kit. It was all down hill from there.

I should of been a laywer, lol.
"Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers."

-----Buddy Rich
Justino
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:40 pm

I started out on just a practice pad learning rudiments. Then I got a kit and then I started taking lessons for both snare (marching) and drum set (jazz). I find that there a lot of drummers these days who don't take the time to learn proper technique... I hate when I see drummers playing w/o proper technique because I think it plays up the "stupid drummer" stereotype. The fact is that just like a piano player must learn scales and fingerings, we must learn rudiments and stick technique (we are musicians too). I am a huge fan of starting on a pad/snare because usually it involves reading music which a lot of players these days cannot do.
Peace,
Justino
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:57 pm

I started out air-drumming,pillows,pringles cans,desk at school(got sent to the office all the time over that one),bought a beater(and it WAS a beater),got taught 2 techniques,play along with Cream,Jethro Tull,Thin Lizzy.....then finally Rush!
By 16 I was ripping out everything Neil Pert was doing(at the time).

Now at 34...I play and have fun....I'm not going to say that I'm bad-ass,nor will I say that I suck....I just play....and I love it!

It don't matter really how you get there,..it's do you get there? :idea:
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:20 pm

I started out on snare back when I was about 8, my dad gave me his old Ludwig, which im still using now on my kit because it has so much sentimental value, and it sounds great still. I actually started on the kit when i was about 11, there was a talent show at my school, and knowing what i did about drums, i was asked to play in a band for it, we played Smooth Criminal by Alien Ant Farm, which was the first song i learned on the kit.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads