which of these two drummers is the better??

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

grohl
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:01 am

Brann Dailor-mastodon
Danny Carey-tool

i saw live this two great drummers (two of my favourites drummers by the way) and i couldn´t know who is the better one(if he is possible to know)
however i would like to know which one you guys enjoy most...
disrupt13
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:36 am

not being a big fan of tool myself, i prefer brann, that dude has some fast hands, danny carey in my opinion is way overated, tool as a band is ok but i cant get into progressive music, i cant sit there for 10 minutes and listen to the same riff. Dont get me wrong, hes good, but in my own opinion brann.
Jack Ruby
new
new

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:38 am

I think when you get as good as those two guys, it isn't really a matter of which one is better. I think they get to a certain point, and learning anything is possible. I personally think Danny Carey is more creative, but not necessarily better.
There's no such thing as a normal life.
There's just life, and you live it.
Pork Sword
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:45 am

Jack Ruby wrote:I think when you get as good as those two guys, it isn't really a matter of which one is better. I think they get to a certain point, and learning anything is possible. I personally think Danny Carey is more creative, but not necessarily better.

I echo that statement 100%....

I think Danny Carey has about 10 years more experience & has some of the most creative beats I've heard in drumming over the course of the last 15 years....Brann is super fast, but listen to Danny's chops guys...he's equally quick & a much more well rounded drummer...doing the stuff with Volto! with is a high energy fusion band, he's recorded with Skinny Puppy, Pigmy Love Circus...I just think Danny brings alot more to the table than just a quick metal drummer.........
Don't get me wrong I love Brann's drumming as well...I just think Danny has alot more to his credit.
"as your attorney, I advise you to drive at top speed & it'll be a goddamn miracle if we can get there before you turn into a wild animal!!....30 minutes, it was going to be very close."
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:53 am

I love both and think they are both excellent drummers, but Danny is more of a personal favorite for me of course. He's in my Top 5 favorites. But I don't think either one is "better" than the other.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
PaisteAndPearl
new
new

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:06 am

This really isn't even a question. But, the answer is Danny Carey. Brann is tight, quick, and pretty creative, but, Danny is a monster. The parts he puts together, the back beats, the polyrhythmic patterns are all crazy. I recently saw Tool live 3 times; in DC, in Jersey and in NY and he played flawlessly. I also saw him at a clinic with Carl Palmer and he even managed to out shine a legend like that.
TheYann
new
new

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:57 am

I hate that kind of questions, it makes no sens ... they both have skills and talent, possibly not the same skills as the music they play and you hear them play is totally different !

Can't compare oranges and apples for one, and secondly the whole "that guy is better than this guy" is ridiculous !

Now if the question was "which one do you prefer", that would be completely different !
.:: TheYann ::.
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:13 am

grohl wrote:Brann Dailor-mastodon
Danny Carey-tool

i saw live this two great drummers (two of my favourites drummers by the way) and i couldn´t know who is the better one(if he is possible to know)
however i would like to know which one you guys enjoy most...

These questions are hard to answer because music is an art form and relies on expression. Neither of these people will play like the other. And that is great. It means we have two as opposed to one.

I don't think these questions are important. If we take a professional situation, for example a producer choosing a drummer for a session, the choice might be made according to the style of the player. In that case it's not even a matter of better, but who suits the musical situation more.

I think it is only an important question when an inexperienced player is in competition with a professional, say for a session. In that case the skills win out. For example, the inexperienced player may not be able to play with a click in the studio or doesn't groove. Then you get the pro', who is better.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
TheYann
new
new

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:24 am

Thanks Dale, that's basically what I was trying to say but said it with much more class and finesse :D

well done ;)
.:: TheYann ::.
Ænima Yr Third E
new
new

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:25 am

I'll make this plain & simple, Danny made drumming a religion.

Danny is BETTER than anyone!
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:29 am

TheYann wrote:Thanks Dale, that's basically what I was trying to say but said it with much more class and finesse :D

well done ;)

Thanks mate. I am slowly getting better at this internet stuff.

It's taking me long enough! :roll:
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Jiggarelli
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:38 am

I think the "Who is better" question is a silly question, but it's going to be ask so here is my .02.

Take Bran and put him in Tool, can he comprehend the polyrhythmic stuff? Can he use effects like Danny? Is he capable of playing is four or five different types of bands, and not just making it sound convincing, but actually understanding all of it.

I'm pretty sure from what I've seen personally from Danny, that he's just as fast as anyone else. Not to mention the fact that once you reach the level of Danny, speed is just a small workout a day!

I respect Brann as well, and I'm not bashing him, who knows maybe he can hang with Dennis Chambers and Steve Smith like I think Danny can. But musically, I think Danny brings more to the table.
Jayson Asbury
For information regarding the products that I endorse please visit me on the web or on myspace @ www.myspace.com/jaysonasburydrummer
& @ www.jaysonasbury.com
Stick It!
zackman
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:37 pm

im not big on either. try mark gajadhar from the blood brothers. sooooooooo crazy good
lee
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:41 pm

I've heard two drummers in my life that have made me laugh my head off, they've been that good. The first was Steve Gadd, the second Danny Carey.
I think Brann is very, very good, but Danny is on another level. I've been fortunate enough to see both drummers once already this year, and will see both again next month.
Even people who don't like Tool can't fail to appreciate the parts Danny produces.
Can't wait for Dec 1st, Tool/Mastodon in Nottingham.

Terry Bozzio on the other hand...
youngdrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:42 pm

I don't really think a drummer should be measured by his chops, because feel is what's important. Danny Carrey has an excellent feel, sickening chops, and a PhD, so I honestly don't think Brann, being the incredible talent he is, is better.
Brann has chops, but his feel suffers because of it. He plays a fill literally every four bars. That's just too much in my opinion.

They're both excellent though, so whatever.