Music playing whilst drumming

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Do you listen to music while drumming?

Yes - All the time!
11%
Yes - Sometimes
11%
No - I practice naturally
11%
No - I practice with a click
11%
I do all/most of the above
56%

Total votes: 9
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:47 am

Do u always play to your mp3, cd player? etc...
or are u always playing your own stuff?

i wanna know how ppl go about playing the drums
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford
Dale
session drummer
session drummer

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 7:53 am

Lately all my drum practice has been technical, played to a click. Only because I am working on specific things.

Percussion tends to be more open right now and I play either new patterns to a click or with music. It depends on the instrument I'm playing.
I don't know what I'm talking about!

"Don't play FOR people. Play WITH people."
- Papa Jo Jones
Jamell
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:45 am

I have special noise cancelation head phones that have a click track built into them that play music, it doesnt hurt my ears and I cant hear anything outside of the headphones, so I do that, or if i just want to play with a click without music, i just dont plug them in, they are really rad!
-Tommy
www.vater.com
www.dwdrums.com
www.zildjian.com

-Remo Pinstripe
-Coated Ambassador
-Zildjian A custom
-DW 9000
-Vater
grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:49 am

Jamell wrote:I have special noise cancelation head phones that have a click track built into them that play music, it doesnt hurt my ears and I cant hear anything outside of the headphones, so I do that, or if i just want to play with a click without music, i just dont plug them in, they are really rad!
-Tommy

i want something like that, but i cant find a company that make em, where are yours from? at the moment i just have to turn it it real lould, with ear things in!

i sometimes listen to music, if i just wanna have a bit of fun, and it does help keep in time with other musicans, but cant do it all the time.
Jamell
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:51 am

If you go to guitar center and ask for Metraphones they have some in there, they are very expensive at guitar center but some range from 40-120 $, I went to go buy a new pair yesterday because the ones I have aren't too comftorable for me, they are the ones you put in your ear, and not over, personally the more bulky ones that you put over your ears and head are alot better then the small ear buds because the sound does effect your ear drum you just cant tell.
-Tommy
www.vater.com
www.dwdrums.com
www.zildjian.com

-Remo Pinstripe
-Coated Ambassador
-Zildjian A custom
-DW 9000
-Vater
grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:02 am

yer i prefer the big over ear headphones, i have some, but they arnt noise cancallation ones, so its hard to hear the music over the drums! ha!

mike
Jamell
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:07 am

Well, like I said, just go check some out at guitar center, if you dont care about click, go to a raidoshack or walmart and look at their head phones that have noise cancelation, make sure they take batteries, because those also boost the bass in the music as well as completely cancle the sound, I use them in school so I cant hear the teacher, but anyway, haha.
-Tommy
www.vater.com
www.dwdrums.com
www.zildjian.com

-Remo Pinstripe
-Coated Ambassador
-Zildjian A custom
-DW 9000
-Vater
grimey mike
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:25 am

haha! i should have thought about that in school! ill scheck out some shops, see whats out there. cheers for that man!

mike
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:35 am

I do all kinds of things depending on what I am working on. I play to a metronome playing the rudiments, occassionally I go back to that to recharge my timing. Most of the time though I am required to learn either cover songs or more often demos of songs my guitar player has written. I use the metrophones and they are great. So, I am either figuring out some other drummers part or making up my own. If you don't have the drum chart for the covers, which most often you don't, then you have to rely on your ears or maybe a DVD of the drummer actually playing the part.
So, 90% of the time I am playing along with a track, creating and or learning drum parts. That's also what I have my students do as well. It's really good for ear development as you must listen closely.
Even then you may only be apporoximating the part, or maybe come up w/ your own thing that you like better and it still works well in the song. I could talk drums forever.
Later
Scott
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
Scott_Hurford
session drummer
session drummer

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:00 pm

very nice, i also want a pair of those earphones, i may think in buying a pair :) they sound good.
Tama/Zildjian/Remo/Vater
www.myspace.com/scotthurford