marching percussion

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

mapexdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:02 pm

how many of u guys were/are in marching percussion drumline??? i am lead tenor :p
lets drum fast and sexy :]
masonvonritchie
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:02 pm

I wish I had been. It would have helped me learn rudiments and whatnot.
WANTED: Tama Starclassic B/B!

Pacific CX Series kit
Pork Pie Little Squealer 13x7
Zildjian A Customs, Z custom
Wuhan China
DW5002AD
drummert2k

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:36 am

tenors 2 years, snare 2 years, now aged out and dont wanna do DCA
TamaSwngstr121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:35 pm

im a huge danny carey fan...so im gonna have to go with carey on this one
drummert2k

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:39 pm

studying marching playing and the exercises and rudiments they use definetaly supercharge your chops. although on looser tuned snares and if your entire kit isnt mic'd you're just throwing down more notes than can be heard ( or understood) by the crowd
drummerboy1991
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:23 pm

3 years snare line..
this season im drum captain. hoping to continue in college doing whatever i can.
Last edited by drummerboy1991 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.myspace.com/drumming101
TAMA Superstar 5-pc Brushed Vintage Blue
TAMA Hardware
Vater, Vic-Firth
Sabian and Zildjian Cymbals
Evans Heads- EC2(clears), Genera dry, EMAD
pegleg
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:44 pm

i have marched bass drum for 6 years (high school and college). i actually prefer bass drum, though tenor would probably help with set skills more.
drumr4life509
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:52 pm

I played pit 1 year, bass drum 2 years, and snare 1 year in high school. Snare was by far my favorite and my best but unfortunitely due to some bad leadership and choices by my first teach and captains I was'nt able to play snare til my senior year despite being the second best snare player in a school of 1400. I would say that marching percussion is a great way to learn a lot of nice skills and the experience of playing with a large group can benefit you if you decide to start a band of your own out of school.
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:23 am

I never got to do DCI although all my instructors were Blue Devils. I've been amazed at the incredible development of DCI since I was in high school in the early to mid-80s. I probably would've made snare for a Top 12 corps in my day. I took one state championship at PAS.

With the same chops, I'd probably be marching bass these days. That's how advanced it's become in 20+ years. Back then, you were really advanced if you could lay down some hybrids. Now it's mandatory just to make snares or tenors. We didn't have the Internet back then, and practically all of the advanced information was hidden unless you were lucky enough to make it somewhere in a top notch B corps where the secrets of great rudimental playing were passed down from player to player. Now you can go download every imaginable thing in 5 minutes and be prepped for auditions come October.
bam bam3
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:45 pm

i was in high school drum line for a year it did help me on my hand speed and rudiments but alot of the things we did didnt help me with drum kit you have to have that insticnt(sp) and soul from drum kit that you cant get by just learning rudiments and various exercises i think you can go with out being in drumline, I quit to help me free up time but i still practice some of those skills
Tama Iron cobra pedal
Pearl Session Custom
Zildjian cymbals
Evans heads
5A Vic Virth Sticks
Rockula!
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:35 pm

YOU GUYS ARE NERDS!!!!!!!!
Actually, I was jealous of the drumline/band kids because I wanted to do it
Unfortunately my grades sucked and I could never get in

I would be ten times the drummer I am now if I had goten some of that knowledge
It seems that I identify much more with the clinical side of marching percussion than with drumset
Marching seemed so much cooler to me than drumset
I guess that's why I try to emulate that type of music when I play

Nerds
You say irritant, I say catalyst
Gaddabout
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 6:05 pm

bam bam3 wrote:i was in high school drum line for a year it did help me on my hand speed and rudiments but alot of the things we did didnt help me with drum kit you have to have that insticnt(sp) and soul from drum kit that you cant get by just learning rudiments and various exercises

I felt I learned more about the "soul" of music in second semester, during symphonic and orchestra season. Some of my best musical memories were in symphonic band, playing pre-20th Century rock-and-roll composers such as Mussorgsky.