Thrash type pattern...help please

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:34 am

Ok so i've been trying to figure out the generic Thrash pattern which alternates snare and bass with a hi-hat hit with each hit on either the snare or bass...

I hope you know what im talking about...because im sortof at a lack for descriptive words right now...

but basicaly most slayer songs where double bass isnt used.

ANYWAYS. I figured someone in this community would know what im talking about and give me some practice tips aside from " use a metronome, start slow, and build up. " I am doing that. But I want to kinda supplament it.

Any ideas?
Vetis
Demented Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:20 am

sorry, but i`m at a loss for figuring out just what it is yer asking.
Tama GRANSTAR in Nile Blue
PAISTE cymbals
9 pieces of percussion
8-sided Pearl ICON rack
Gilbraltar throne
AHEAD sticks
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Vetis wrote:Ok so i've been trying to figure out the generic Thrash pattern which alternates snare and bass with a hi-hat hit with each hit on either the snare or bass...

I hope you know what im talking about...because im sortof at a lack for descriptive words right now...

but basicaly most slayer songs where double bass isnt used.

ANYWAYS. I figured someone in this community would know what im talking about and give me some practice tips aside from " use a metronome, start slow, and build up. " I am doing that. But I want to kinda supplament it.

Any ideas?

I think I know exactly what you're talking about. Like on "Angel of Death" for example when the first verse comes in? Or "War Ensemble"? Yeah, I can't really think of anything to say other than start slow and build up your speed. Mess around with the tension of your bass drum pedal, as well as tension of your heads. And also how close or far away your cymbals are, particularly your hats and ride can impact your playing. There are things you can do to help move around the kit when playing these beats and putting tom rolls in like Lombardo does.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
MrChops
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:12 am

I had this same problem about a year ago. To fix it, I broke down the parts slowly. I started just with my hands... totally eliminating the bass drum. Once I could do that, I worked on putting the bass drum hit exactly on the beat with the hi-hat playing eighth notes, without the snare. Once I got that I worked on alternating snare bass snare bass without the hi-hat. Once you master these, then you can move on to playing all three. Start slow with a metronome and work your way up to your max. Never practice something too fast, It will just form bad habits and you will have to start over again.

The problem here is the fact that the snare hit is on the "and" of the beat, and the bass drum attack is on the actual beat itself. Alot of drummers have trouble with holding on to the beat and lock on to the snare hit as the beat, consequently throwing yourself, and others, off

Hope that helps.
Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.