Rimshots for Backbeat

Tama, Pearl, Yamaha, Premier, Mapex etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:51 pm

After a thread on here and chatting with a few other drummers I started playing rimshots on the snare to get more tone and a fatter sound.

I love it, think my snare sounds the best it ever has.

Unfortunately my band mates aren't too keen and asked me to stop. Turns out the drummer before me also played rimshots and they convinced him (with the help of our sound engineer) to stop.

Personally I think I should carry on playing rimshots, but I thought i'd see what the concensuss was on here!

So rimshots, ass kicking backbeat, or unneccessary?
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:47 am

I don't use rimshots when the tip is in the center of the drum. I use them to get that jazz-like high end ping(the tip of the stick on the sides). I think the backbeat rimshot chokes the sound, I just play louder for the backbeat and very soft for ghost notes.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Qbs
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:21 am

ALWAYS use rimshots for those essentials backbeats :).
First of all, it allows to have a significant difference in dynamics between the accented and non accented notes. Second, I personally believe that a rimshot is much more 'right' sounding when a solid backbeat is needed - also almost every professional drummer I've met advised me to use backbeats and I ought to think they know what they're talking about.
Of course I've seen many drummers play without rimshots even outside jazz but I've always got the feeling that the snare isn't really cutting through especially when the drums were unmiced.

Also, I don't want to sound too self-centered, but it's your sound and you don't tell your guitarist what strings or pick-ups he should choose, right?
Rhytm is a way to transmit a description of experience
in an emotional and not abstract way.
It is more than a metaphor:
It is a physical experience as real as any other.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:19 am

When I had another band where I played guitar and sang, my friend Chris, who was the drummer, got into the habit of playing rimshots all the time. It got to the point where he couldn't hit the snare without doing one, even when he tried, and to be honest it got pretty annoying at times. And this is coming from someone who's a drummer first. It really didn't help when he switched to the Chad Smith snare. It got very loud. When he was doing rimshots you could barely hear anything else on his kit. Very distracting.

Anyways, I guess my point is that it was interesting hearing the rimshots from the other side of the kit as a guitar player, and how annoying I found it at times. So now I only try and use them tastefully on a song where they really help drive the backbeat. Well placed rimshots can really put a band over the top when there's so much energy going on.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
juNgle beatZ
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:31 pm

Use rimshots when you need a strong backbeat
revese eNgineeRinG
slingerland66
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:08 pm

rimshots and pingshots are made for accents. not to play every beat and break your sticks within one session heh.
Use vintage drums with vented snares for the best of both worlds.
drummert2k

Post Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:58 pm

dont play rimshots all the time. the band doesnt revolve around your snare drum and even if you think its funny to see people cringe everytime you hit the drum (i personally enjoy that myself) your snare has to blend in the mix with the rest of the drums. you wouldnt want a guitar player telling you his rig sounds better when he has it turned up to 11! besides, if you're playing rimshots all the time then on parts of the music that really need to drive and you need to lay into you're not going to have anywhere to go volume wise. as for it sounding better and fuller, try differant head combinations and tunings or even snares. if you have to do rimshots to make your snare sound good then its time for either new heads, a good tune up or maybe a new snare. but as for rimshots, use them sparingly as needed. remember, too much of a good thing takes away the effect! talent and playing ability isnt measured by volume.
Shalaq
session drummer
session drummer

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 am

Yeah, I went to this show and there was a "famous polish drummer" and he played a rimshot for almost every hit- the toms also. I though " I wonder what he'll do if he needs something louder. Besides, this whole rimshot thing on his toms totally killed the sound and the drumset (DW) sounded like cardboard boxes.
Mapex, Istanbul Agop, Attack, Vater/O4D.
I want an endorsement :)
Quick link to the search engine:
http://www.drumsmylife.com/search.php
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:21 am

Thanks for the replies guys!

As it happens, I've found myself now playing tip to centre of the head when grooving and for those songs which need a really solid backbeat playing rimshots.

Infact after our gig Sunday I had another band ask me to play for them and another drummer asked me how I got such a good sound from my snare! My Tama Starclassic snare still hasn't arrived, was just playing an old Pearl Export.

It was a good night!
wolfendenstate
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:55 am

I personally only use rim shots occasionally when I'm playing a beat, but I think it sounds ace to throw one in here and there on snare rolls.
FunkyDrummer
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:42 pm

I'm all for playing rimshots on backbeats because I think it makes the whole groove more stable. As for breaking sticks... dude check out some hickory sticks they last a couple of months granted I play rimshots a lot!
be funky!
racefan33
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:58 pm

Rob Crisp wrote:After a thread on here and chatting with a few other drummers I started playing rimshots on the snare to get more tone and a fatter sound.

I love it, think my snare sounds the best it ever has.

Unfortunately my band mates aren't too keen and asked me to stop. Turns out the drummer before me also played rimshots and they convinced him (with the help of our sound engineer) to stop.

Personally I think I should carry on playing rimshots, but I thought i'd see what the concensuss was on here!

So rimshots, ass kicking backbeat, or unneccessary?

Dude, I understand listening to your band but unless it's specifically in a recording session, on a specific song or you are playing at low volumes, your sound is your sound. Do you ask your guitar player to change the tone on his amp? Tell them to invest in some quality earplugs (you too) and play your snare how you feel it sounds best.

I rimshot pretty much all the time, it's just more of a crack to the sound. It eats up sticks though.
Jeff Porcaro - Lord of Groove
top drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:43 am

I agree with racefan33 - it's your sound and getting some ear protection is a good idea not only for us drummers.
keep on drummin!
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:26 am

I rim shot for volume and to get a different sound out of the drum. I usually try to use two snares so that I can save the rim shots for volume but if I only have one I'll just play the rim shots meant to change the sound softer than the volume rim shots.
Like some people mentioned, you don't want to rim shot all the time. I used to but then I started using different heads, different snares and I changed up my tuning until I found the right combo for getting different sounds at different volumes and then having killer rim shots on top of that.
Once you do all that then you're safe to tell your band to shove it when they say stop playing rim shots.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Brazilian Drummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:44 am

I use rim shots whem I find it nessesery, however..I don't play just lowd rim shots, I think we can use dinamics with rim shots also, not jsut to play loud, but to get a difernt sound out of the snare, and depending on the music some soft ping shots fit realy nice!

but thats just me....
=]