graphite sticks anyone?

It's time to discuss drum accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

kenny.drummer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:20 am

How are graphite sticks? Pros and Cons to using them? Differences from wood sticks? I have heard a lot about cracking cymbals with anything other than wood - is this true?

kenny
AFR
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:42 am

they're horrible. Unless you play so hard that you consistantly break sticks. they will demolish your cymbals. i'd rather buy 5 or 6 pairs of sticks every month than buy new cymbals every 2 or 3.
catkel
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:48 am

Their horrible and they make your cymbals sound terrible too
clatterdrums
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:04 am

Well, I really liked the way they sounded, but I broke one after about 45 minutes of practice, so that was the end of my graphite adventure.
barn_animal
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:26 am

i regulate mine too practice and marching they sound like crap and feel weird too me cause theyre weighted oddly imo
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:57 am

I've used them before, they break way to fast, they make your cymbals break faster, they make your cymbals sound like shit, and their damn expensive, which is the main reason i dont get them.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
TheYann
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:12 am

Well I don't know about graphite, I've never tried them. On the other hand I play with the Carbosticks and I'm really satisfied with the result. Sounds just like wood, it does not break easilly, you can choose your size and weight ....
All in all, they're a nice alternative for wood. Took me a year and a half to break one stick !
.:: TheYann ::.
FelipeRodriguez
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:19 am

they are HORRIBLE!....they make ur drums sound ugly and the cymbals like and old piece of junk!
sharkscott
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:41 pm

I used to use AHEAD graphite sticks to practice with and then use wood to play out but I realized that the graphite sticks just don't sound or feel the same.

It is nice to have a pair of sticks that last for months but my drums literally do not sound the same when using them, even my bandmates noticed. They asked what I did to my snare drum to make it sound not as good.

I quickly stopped using them after that. My snare sound is my signature and when your bandmates say, "what did you do to your snare dude?" it makes you wakeup a little.
The only difference between Genius and Stupidity is, that Genius has its limits.
Vetis
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:32 pm

Well if this thread is asking about "Ahead" sticks, then thereshould be a few things that I put to rest here.

1. If you are breaking cymbals with them, CHANGE THE SLEVES!! The sleves protect your cymbals, and if they are cracked ( so you're hitting metal on metal ) then YES, you're going to break stuff.

2. When I used my Ahead sticks they did not change the sound of my drums or my cymbals.

3. I love my Ahead sticks, the only problem I have is that the tips will sometimes spin off leaving the graphite tip, which dented my old heads.

But I do love my new wood sticks. Pro-Mark 747 Rock with Nylon tips. Light, durable, amazing feel.
Vetis
TheYann
new
new

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:40 pm

I've never been a big fan of nylon tips .... that's why I like those carbosticks so much, it sounds just like wood but lasts just like those ahead sticks ! (and are much cheaper)
.:: TheYann ::.
wolfsburg6674
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:26 pm

the biggest problem i had with my ahead sticks was finding the right size sleeves and tips which is really annoying.also the tips themselves ould either spin off or crack at the top leaving just enough graphite sticking out to mess up my heads.but i did like the vibration reduction...wood vibrates alot and actually makes you more tired from playing and with the ahead sticks i could play for hours and not have sore hands at all.all in all id buy them again if i could buy a surplus of sleeves and tips with the sticks at the same time but i like my generic guitar center sticks for practice cause then i dont care that i break them and save my funkblasters for shows
downshifter99
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 04, 2006 9:40 pm

Vader rock wood!
Taye:Rock Pro Classic Rock 5 Piece
Sabian:Cymbals
Tama & Pearl:Hardware
Evans:Drum heads
Vader:Fat Back 3A Sticks & Slick-Nuts
m
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Nov 05, 2006 3:37 pm

I have a pair of Carbosticks too (I like to try all the gimmicky stuff)
and I don't hate them. The balance is a little different, but they've held up well, haven't damaged anything, and feel pretty good once you get used to them.

I guess they're technically 'carbon-fiber' drumsticks, so I don't know if they apply here or not...

Is anyone making graphite sticks these days, other than Aquarian?
come to think of it- I used to have a pair of those- didn't like the feel at all.