Do you let other drummers play on your kit?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:24 pm

We went on tour this summer and i did let a couple other people use my kit... Never again. Some of these dudes damaged my skins, and didn't even say "thank you". Never again..
Way
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
Spydr2000
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:34 pm

drummert2k wrote:i hate when other drummers use my kit. my one band plays a lot of bar shows with an opening band so i make sure the other drummer brings his own snare, seat, pedals, cymbals and sticks. and if i know someone else is gonna have to use my kit i wont take may "baby" to that show. i might put good heads on my practice kit or something. so so another person isnt beating my good kit. but i know where your coming from.

Usually when opening up it's sometimes easier to use someones kit. But I have found its more the 'sound man ' not wanting to dial in another kit... I call this a sound man that doesn't know what he is doing... If he was good it wouldn't be such a problem. I personally would rather not play anyones kit because I will probably kill it because I hit really hard, and I also play better on my own kit. Do you see guitar player sharing guitars? I look at it this way you own your kit for a reason.. play it in any situation.
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:21 pm

It's so easy to plug in a guitar compared to striking a kit! Sometimes there is just not enough time.
Later
www.scotaylor.com
Drumn4life
Scott
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
zen_drummer
groove master
groove master

Post Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:40 pm

These are drums. We hit them with sticks. I'm pretty sure the drums don't care who hits them, so why should I?

I let people sit in on my kit all the time. I feel sorry for them... nothing is where they expect it to be and since it's all racked up with memory locks they never move stuff. They end up playing poorly and that's a shame.

On shows where they use one bands stuff as the backline and many bands play the same gear, the promoters really should pay the headliner for the use of the backline... OR the headliners should have the promoter SUPPLY a backline.

Now, the flip side... I HATE when I play a show and the backline that is provided by the promoter and the gear SUCKS... I have been on drums that have duct tape on the heads and sound like cardboard boxes. The "house kit" nearly ALWAYS is at LEAST that lame. I bring my own snare and cymbals anyway.

Drums are expensive, but seriously... they're not all that fragile if treated with respect.
markt36264
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:17 pm

Sometimes. I have learned that the more you let people sit in, the more cymbals you have eventually break.

I let Jim Riley (before Rascal Flats when he was playing with Hank III) use my drums once but he brought his own cymbals. The girl from Mustang Sally used my drums for a show and I am pretty sure she broke my splash. Opening up for touring bands, sometimes it is easier than breaking down or setting up during a short intermission. I would have let Jimmie Van Zant's drummer play my set bet he quit a few days before the show and I got to play in his place. As for people walking up and asking to sit in, it just depends on how drunk they are and if they look like an idiot. Usually we only let people we know sit in anyway. This one guy talked a good game so we let him have a go at it. He turned out to be so bad he couldn't play anything, after a 10 min. solo, I finally had to tell him he had to get up.
The Heel
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:55 pm

I've been in that spot so many times.

You're playing at a gig and someone comes up and asks to "sit in". In the past I would let anyone play. But as I've gotten older I've learned that if I dont know them the answer is just absolutely not.

Even if I do know them I dont like it. See, Its possible during the course of a night that I'll break a cymbal. Thats life. Sometimes it happens. But if I let someone else sit in on my kit... well then I dont know if they broke it or not.

I dont have a problem with my breaking my stuff, but I pay too much for equiment for someone else to break it.

Besides that, I would assess that 75% of the people who have asked me to sit in can't play the tune they sat in for, and 50% of them can't play to save their lives, and usually just turn a crowd off.

I just dont let random people sit in. If its another accomplished drummer that I know (And they never ask to sit in), I would say sure... but I dont need to take any chances otherwise of ruining my night and/or my expensive kit and cymbals.
The Freq
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:44 pm

I don't allow anyone to play my main kits that I haven't seen play before. I've had drums and drum mics damaged, scratched etc and have way too much cash in my toys to have them mangled. If I'm doing a gig where I know there's a jam night, I have a drum kit I bring that I don't mind other players using but my main kits.. notta. Sounds selfish I guess but I've never had a drummer who damaged my gear pay for it. It's hard to replace a Seinheiser mic with "oh sorry". :shock:
drum man
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:13 pm

yea i do let people use my stuff. but its only if i trust them.
i don't want some ramdom guy siting behind my kit wailing away.
DrumGuy07
new
new

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:27 am

Put it like this, if anyone except a proffesional touches my kit I get freaked out. I take care of it and treat it like my baby, Im sure Im not the only one that does am I right? We put alot of time and money into what we do, so why just let some joe shmoe come and beat it all up? Although a police officer played on mine when we had them called on us for practicing..very weird. Really funny though.
seakrieg
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:28 am

Yes, but I don't like it.

Unfortunately the reality of a lot of UK gigging is sharing backline.

However, these days are ending for me now as the band is acheiving a significant stature which means an end to sharing the backline. It's a hard double edged sword for me personally as I have met a lot of up-tight unfriendly musicians that won't even talk to you let alone lift a finger to accomodate support band needs. On the other hand my gear is special to me and I don't want some other person knocking the hell out of it.
A quandry no less...
Mind you, I have played with a support band whose drummer asked to use my kit (okay...maybe), my cymbals (are you kidding?!), my sticks (don't tell me you came without any sticks!?!!).
At least he didn't want to wear my clothes...
fur_rock
new
new

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:28 am

In Austin, the drumming community is very strong and brotherly, if you will. As a rule, most bands and drummers are extremely proprietary about their equipment, setup, look and feel. The only times equipment loan issues have come up, (most recently for me) was a friend of mine who was playing in two bands in two different clubs and he asked if he could use my kit, since we had back-to-back sets, and he could leave his regular kit at the other club. He was gentle with my babies. I've also been in a situation where I'd broken my Axis Twin during soundcheck and was bailed out by a drummer bro playing the next set. I've even gone so far as to forget crucial elements of the kit from time to time (throne, ....cymbals....) and was accomodated appropriately. What about backline kits? They've always been a toss-up for me.
granny p
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:50 am

no trouble with lettin other people play my kit, except my snare which i like to have to myself. As long as they ask and thank me afterwards then its all cool with me
time to get funky, like a bow legged monkey
kelvinislord
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:01 am

shows around here, everyone brings their own kit.

and they have everything off stage in 5 minutes.

10 minutes for breaking down the kit is a little much
ghost_note
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:51 am

i actually hate it for ppl to even LOOK at my drums! i just cant stand it when ppl play it! it makes me want to punch them in the face! espcially if they suck! but if theyre better than me it bothers me but i wont say anything!
Binky...
"X" marks the spot
koreanbeatdown91
new
new

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:25 pm

i dont let ppl play mine unless i konw them and konw that they wont mess up my kit .