Do you let other drummers play on your kit?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Rabney
new
new

Post Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:34 am

I now have 2 kits, 1 for the road and sharing and 1 for gigs that only i'm going to use my kit.
the kit i let people share is a Premier Artist, i picked it up 2nd hand and its a good sounding kit,
my other kit which only i get to use is a Premier Series, it cost me a lot of cash and there is no way i'm going to let other folk use it, to much bad experience with drummers who just hash and bash

i find out before hand what the backline situ is, and if we're on last and its a static backline then the road kit comes, the other drummers can only use the shells and stands though, they must bring their own cymbals, snare + snare stand, kick pedal, drum throne.

although i have played at gigs where the drummers in other bands have even asked to borrow sticks!!
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:45 am

I am really not talking about random people using your kit. Of course none of us would ever just let Joe Blow anyone sit on our kits.
THey have to be another professional in a professional gigging situation for a show you know. That is the only time it has ever come up for me. But just some guy or girl asking to play your kit.....NO!
At gigs w/ multiple bands you will be asked to either use another's kit or another to use yours.
DRumn4life
www.scotaylor.com
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
unistadrums
new
new

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:56 pm

I usually let people play my drums, I own a custom drum company called Unista Drums and its kind of my job to let people play them, but all in all, its a great feeling to let someone else play a creation you made.

If anyone is interested in custom drums or custom work on their drums, visit our MySpace page at

http://www.myspace.com/unistadrums

We have great prices on all our custom drums, keep in mind we only use the best materials we can get (Keller, Nickle Drum Works, etc.)

Also, we have a special right now on all drums, we decided to extend out the "Black Friday" all through out until next Sunday, December 3rd, 2006. So stop by to get your special hook up!
do mention that you read this on DrumsMyLife.com for a better hook up!

-Daniel, Unista Drums
Chazdrums
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:50 pm

I only let drummers I know play on the kit. As a working professional my drums are my $$$. And we all have bills and some have families. So unless I have seen the drummer and know that they are at least as professional as I am they cant play my kit. But there was one time I let Indugu Chancler play on the kit, he came to play at the club I was house drummer at with Booker T. Amazing show! 2 B-3 cabinets at full volume and Indugu on my kit! Good Times.
"Almost everything I've done, I've done through my own creativity. I don't think I ever had to listen to anyone else to learn how to play drums. I wish I could say that for about ten thousand other drummers."

-----Buddy Rich
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:01 pm

Waylon wrote:I am really not talking about random people using your kit. Of course none of us would ever just let Joe Blow anyone sit on our kits.
THey have to be another professional in a professional gigging situation for a show you know. That is the only time it has ever come up for me. But just some guy or girl asking to play your kit.....NO!
At gigs w/ multiple bands you will be asked to either use another's kit or another to use yours.
DRumn4life
www.scotaylor.com

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For all of those who were bitching....this guy wasn't as drunk as me when posting his reply. He said what I was trying to, just more diplomatically. Don't think that if you're some freakin drunk at a club and you wanna play my kit during a break that it will ever happen unless I already know you. But an opening act-of course! just bring cymbals, snare, and sticks, and don't adjust my pedals or memory locks.
yee freakin' haw
messeduplefty
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:31 pm

Yeah, I all most allways let other drummers, even non drummers (guitarist, bassist, even singers!). I've had my drums at a Bistro style restaruant for a year with many bands/artist coming through the doors on a weekly basis. I think of it as a way to promote my drums and myself to other artist. The only thing I do change is the heads (G2 to Ec2's) and my pedal (I put a cheapo Tama or PDP on their).

It's also nice letting someone else play your kit because, you get to hear how good or bad your set sounds! Can't tell you how many times i get surprised when i listen to someones play my kit and get proud of the time: I spent tuning, selecting head, and matching cymbals for hours. And when other drummers compliment my kit. It makes it all worth while.
rlrrll
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:00 pm

I really hate playing club gigs where there are 6 bands and six different kits. Usually, everybody's gear is pretty much the same, so I don't see the point of watching 6 different guys tear down and set up the same 4-piece kit all night. Those are the gigs when gear disappears.

I wish nightclubs would smarten up and get sponsorship deals with local music shops to supply the backline gear. House of Blues and the Key Club in LA do it.

When I'm on tour as a headliner, my standing rule is you can play my DW kit with your snare, pedal, and cymbals, or you can set up infront of me. I'm not moving all of my stuff off the stage just because your must play your set of Pearl exports (it happened).
If the other drummer has a specialized kit, I'm happy to play it. I actually enjoy playing other kits that I'm not used to. It's like driving another persons car.

Most guys argee to play my DW's because ...wellm there DW's!!!

So for me, it's share gear or lose stage space.

tc
Limited Access
beginner
beginner

Post Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:50 pm

OK I have seen some pretty negative drummers on this issue, and I cant believe all that I have read. I believe that us drummers should stick togeather, I have played on many kits that arent mine at gigs and I have let as many people play on mine. I have a new kit now and I still feel the same about it. I agree that if someone doesnt respect the kit that they shouldnt be on it and I let everyone know that I will take them off in a heartbeat if they dont respect it. But hey if the respect is there then you might get to jam on theres someday at a gig. All the bands that I have ever played in let our friends and other people get up and jam, I have even used my new kit for an open jam once and it went well. many of the drummers were impressed with my kit and that made me feel good. I also like to here my kit from out front it helps me to know how it sounds and what I need to do to make it sound better. Also I would rather play on my own kit at a multiple band gig than someone elses, I just feel better on my own kit, but I dont have a problem useing someone elses. Well I hope I didnt bore anyone. untill next time keep jamming!!!! :D
Pearl Drums and Zildjian and Sabian Cymbals
Danny Meazell
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:37 am

I let other drummers use my kit but the ones I am around are professional. In December we are having a huge reunion with Bloodrock, Nitzinger, Kenny & The Kasuals, The Novas, Dead Pyrates Society, The American Classics, The Excels, The Nightcaps, Mouse and the Traps, The Deauvilles. Billy Lawson said he and Mike Neal will probably be there, maybe Talley. Kenny told me Bob Dylan's guitarist is going to be there too and Bugs Henderson. There is not a drummer that is going to be there that I won't proudly let play my kit with my signature cymbals. But that is me.
Danny Meazell :D
reefer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:54 am

Sharing your kit is always going to be part of the business if your playing a lot. When I was young and thought I was king-shit i didn't want anyone touching my stuff. But now I've come to realize its about mutual respect, camaraderie, networking. I don't mind bringing my kit (in fact I prefer my comfort levels) as long as the others bring their own breakables (ie: cymbals, snare, pedal). And sometimes I'll let people use snare and/or cymbals for specific reasons but its always someone I trust with the 'you-break-you-buy' policy, kind of an unspoken pact. However, sometimes you will be in situations where people will not show the respect, or use stuff without asking. Recently I played a show where this other guy used my cymbals without asking, AND used them on stands without felts and wing nuts. This pissed me off, and i made a mental note to keep my breakables within view at all times. When someone else is providing the kit, i bring my breakables, sticks and throne, and sometimes snare stand. The other thing to do if you really don't like people playing on your killer kit, is to invest in a 'travel' kit, one that you don't mind lugging around and having the crap beat out of it. Then you won't feel so bad when something breaks.
Zebra-powered rock and roll
http://www.themicronitefilters.com

Check out:
http://www.getbentrecords.com
for great independent music you've never heard
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:00 am

Ndugu can play my kit anytime!

Waylon
floydistheman789
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:02 pm

im with the people that dont like other people using their sets, especially cuz usually i dont know the person. there was one time i let someone use my set, and i made him give me his wallet and carkeys for insurance cuz i fear that something will happen to my set.
Floyd
DW Drums
Pro Mark Sticks
Sabian Cymbals
Aquarian Heads
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:59 am

I had an interesting thing happen yesterday.
I was in a music store buying some sticks (Vic Firth). I started up a conversation w/ the clerk/drummer and he said I looked familiar. He asked me if I had been the main drummer for a certain local multiple band and singing competition. I was the drummer at that gig and he was one of the drummers who had used my kit. He was very appreciative and remembered my generosity. He had brought his own snare and pedals. In short it was a postive experience and one that had a lasting impact on both of us. We exchanged biz cards and who knows I might play his kit someday or he may throw a sub gig my way or vice versa. It's all about mutual respect and love of music. It's good for networking and you never know when it may come into play maybe years later.
Later
Waylon
Drumn4life
www.scotaylor.com
devilspain
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:11 pm

i dont mind as long as they dont break anything. i let my friends play mainly for tyhe enjoyment of playing that has no rhythm lol.
Mapex Saturn Series Drums
TRX Cymbals
DW9000 Pedals
Pearl Rack
Vic Firth Sticks
Remo Heads

http://www.myspace.com/devilspain
http://www.myspace.com/masteranddog
http://www.masteranddog.com
beer
beginner
beginner

Post Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:21 pm

We went on tour this summer and i did let a couple other people use my kit... Never again. Some of these dudes damaged my skins, and didn't even say "thank you". Never again..
DRUM!