Do you let other drummers play on your kit?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

Stoned Gerbil
beginner
beginner

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 5:10 am

Good topic! I generally don't have a problem with other drummers using my kit as long as thier using thier own snare, cymbals, pedals, they know what they're doing and they respect me and my kit! I always talk to them before hand and tell them what they can and can't do with my kit! My band do alot of headline performances and play alot of festavals and sometimes in these situations it is more efficient to use one kit, it saves time and everyone gets a longer set! BUT!! I don't like it when you turn up to a festaval where only 3 bands are ment to using your kit and for the next two days 20 odd drummers half of which don't know what they are doing are smashing the shit out of your hard earned kit and completely fucking up your set up and moving shit around so when you come to play its hard to get everything back in to position and your drum heads are flapping around on the rims! This has only happend once and will never happen again as at least two of the bands in question took it upon themselves to use my snare and cymbals and when you start to get fucked off with this happening and supervise every drummer setting up behind YOUR KIT only to be told to fuck off by sound men which in this occasion nearly resulted in me and the sound guy in question coming to blows over the matter! And to top it all off when you go to take your kit down you find scratches and dents in the shells and have to spend nearly £200 buying new heads with no offer of compensation for the damage to your kit buy the organiser who assured you before arriving that only 3 bands would need to use it! This is not what I call respect either for me or my kit which cost over £4000 and is worth more than anything on the stage and as you can probably tell fucked me off big time and will never happen again and only happend in the first place as i'm a nice guy and wasn't going to ruin everyones weekend just because of bad organisation! I still do let other drummers play on my kit as you can't tar everyone with the same brush but now I am very carefull of who uses it and rule with an iron fist! No more than 2 bands a night! I have used many other drummers kits so its only fair really but the key word is RESPECT!!
Yamaha Drums/Hardware
Remo Heads
Zildjian Cymbals
Vic Firth Sticks
Mapex Pedals/Snare
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:11 am

Stoned Gerbil wrote:Good topic! I generally don't have a problem with other drummers using my kit as long as thier using thier own snare, cymbals, pedals, they know what they're doing and they respect me and my kit! I always talk to them before hand and tell them what they can and can't do with my kit! My band do alot of headline performances and play alot of festavals and sometimes in these situations it is more efficient to use one kit, it saves time and everyone gets a longer set! BUT!! I don't like it when you turn up to a festaval where only 3 bands are ment to using your kit and for the next two days 20 odd drummers half of which don't know what they are doing are smashing the shit out of your hard earned kit and completely fucking up your set up and moving shit around so when you come to play its hard to get everything back in to position and your drum heads are flapping around on the rims! This has only happend once and will never happen again as at least two of the bands in question took it upon themselves to use my snare and cymbals and when you start to get fucked off with this happening and supervise every drummer setting up behind YOUR KIT only to be told to fuck off by sound men which in this occasion nearly resulted in me and the sound guy in question coming to blows over the matter! And to top it all off when you go to take your kit down you find scratches and dents in the shells and have to spend nearly £200 buying new heads with no offer of compensation for the damage to your kit buy the organiser who assured you before arriving that only 3 bands would need to use it! This is not what I call respect either for me or my kit which cost over £4000 and is worth more than anything on the stage and as you can probably tell fucked me off big time and will never happen again and only happend in the first place as i'm a nice guy and wasn't going to ruin everyones weekend just because of bad organisation! I still do let other drummers play on my kit as you can't tar everyone with the same brush but now I am very carefull of who uses it and rule with an iron fist! No more than 2 bands a night! I have used many other drummers kits so its only fair really but the key word is RESPECT!!

Holy shit! I would have lost it! Cheers for keeping cool in a situation like that. Much respect. I definitely would not have been able to keep it together, especially with a kit that cost that much money.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:08 am

I never cared when I had a drumset that costs me $800.00...Now I own a $6000,00. all custom drum set--well knowbody but me plays that!! not even my friends! My guitar player thought it would be funny getting to the studio early so he could have a run at my kit(even though he knew better) before I got there. I caught him in the act-- He dented the heads all up & put a scratch in my snare drum(all within 10 minutes of playing them- thinking I wouldn't notice.)--- he's now paying for a touch up(paint) & new heads! Hows that for charma I told him, then I told kim if he plays them again, he might as well get the fuck out! It took me 20 years to finally aford my dream kit--if it gets dented, scrached or ruined, I want to be the one doing it! To me its like sharing your girlfriend .. I spent a year & a half saving money, months of preperation on designing it,and another 6 months waiting for it to get done from the custom shop! To let someone disrespect it is like letting someone slap or punch your girlfriend! FISTS A FLYIN MO F-cker! Thats my take and I give a shit what anyone thinks about it!
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
Chad Scott
beginner
beginner

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:09 am

I didn't care too much when I had a drumset that cost me $600.00 accept when they would hit them wrong...Now I own a $6000,00. all custom drum set-- knowbody but me plays these drums!! not even my friends! My guitar player thought it would be funny getting to the studio early so he could have a run at my kit(even though he knew better) before I got there. I caught him in the act-- He dented the heads all up & put a scratch in my snare drum(all within 20 minutes of playing them- thinking I wouldn't notice.)--- he's now paying for a touch up(paint), new heads and I also suspended his studio key!(Also my studio) Hows that for charma I told him, then I told kim if he plays them again, he might as well get the fuck out! It took me 20 years to finally aford my dream kit--if it gets dented, scrached or ruined, I want to be the one doing it! To me its like sharing your girlfriend .. I spent a year & a half saving money, months of preperation on designing it,and another 6 months waiting for it to get done from the custom shop! To let someone disrespect it is like letting someone slap or punch your girlfriend! FISTS A FLYIN MO F-cker! Thats my take and I give a shit what anyone thinks about it!
just another drummer who wants to become better,learn more and play more than most..
if you can help please do!!
Adonis2121
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:59 pm

HELL NO!
myspace.com/charettamusic
drums-Drum Workshop Lavender to Black Burst w/black hardware
cymbals-Anything that sounds good!
pedals-DW 9002
Hardware-DW
sticks-Vic Firth 5A (endorser)
woody476
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:24 pm

Vetis wrote:My only rule when it comes to anybody playing my kit ( or borrowing cymbals ) is that if you break it, you buy it; No argument.

If they dont like it, then they are SOL.

lol, thats kinda like me. I prefer not to use anyone else's stuff unless I have to. And I try to ask someone I know personally if I do.

I used to have to do it a lot, I had broken cymbals so I had to ask other bands playing to borrow them. I felt like I was asking for money =/ lol

I dunno, I don't really mind it as long as nothing breaks. I know how Im set up, so changing things around isn't a problem for me.
God Bless
G-Rad
beginner
beginner

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:42 pm

I don't mind other drummers using my kit. I don't mind playing on other drummers' sets. I've been down that road many of times.

I always welcome an open arm to whomever i"m doing a show with if they wanna use my kit. I mean the most they can do is bust a head or cymbal, cheap fix (since I do have some cheap-o's for cymbals). Besides, they dont' play them as hard as I do hehe.
Iqa
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:27 am

I probably would let other drummers use mine as long as they pay for any damages and treat it with care. I wouldn't mind them adjusting the kit if they put everything back in order again when they're done. Maybe I'm too nice.. lol
Lepricoin
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:49 pm

If it has to do with me learning something or get better then hell yea, but if you want to just pick up the sticks and hit things and be like thats pretty good right ill be like yea.......stop
Night Train
new
new

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:20 am

I really don't care. They are drums and meant to be hit on.
soliddrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 17, 2006 2:43 am

That all depends. I would have to personally know the drummer and where he/she lives, etc. When you invest most of your life and well-being into your instrument, you need it to do what you do. A healthy protection of that makes sense. Unless of course you have an unlimited supply of kits/cymbals/heads, etc. One day! :D
Skill tempered with relevance and simplicity.
NWCrusher
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sun Nov 19, 2006 3:21 pm

I generally frown upon it, unless I really trust the person.
Flatliner

Post Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:29 am

depends on the drummer, I have some friends I'll let play on my kit and others have lost their privileges. Seriously, no one should be breaking the new heads I put on half an hour ago. The break you bought rule always applys. And for anyone I don't know it depends solely on their attitude before and when they're asking, they show respect for the instrument they can play, if not, they can't. I hold myself to same standard of what I expect of others, but for the most part I never play someone elses because I don't feel comfortable playing someone's kit in the event I would break something of theirs.
Waylon
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:43 am

When you really get out there and start playing a lot it will come up. There will be a lot of pressure to make the show go smoothly.
Sometimes there is not any choice, unless you want to get a reputation as someone who doesn't like to cooperate. It depends on what circles you travel in I guess. All the drummers who have sat on my kit were very professional and courteous and respectful. It's just what what is expected of players at a certain level.
I have been on the other end too, where I had to play someone elses kit. Show promoters, club owners, and other players can really put on the pressure you know. When you find yourself in this situation, which you will, then talk to the other drummers and tell them what you expect. And when the tables are turned, be respectful anb bring your snare, cymbals, pedals, throne, etc. Whatever you do keep playing and enjoying it because making music is why you are here.
Drumn4life
Scott (Way)
Later
www.scotaylor.com
Drumn4life, Drumn4life,Drumn4life,Drumn4life,
Drumn4life, Drumn4life, Drumn4life
PaulZILLA
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:57 pm

i dont let random people use my kit. i let people i know and trust use it , as long as they dont change anything at all.but other than that nope.i hate playing other peoples as well. just not comfortable. besides id hate to break somethin of theirs.
Get KRUNK...Its A Death Metal Thing.