Do you let other drummers play on your kit?

Post here anything about the world of drumming. Equipment, music, drum gear, artists, events, gigs, and anything else drum set related!

Moderator: Moderators

SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:02 pm

But you're also left handed......And I never meant to imply that it's cool to just jump up there and use my stuf or me to do that to anyone else. I ALWAYS ask, and I expect the same from someone who wants to use my kit. As for having stuff stolen.....It is the owner of the kit's responsibility to tear down. That's the only time anything could get stolen. What, is someone gonna steal your splash cymbal in the middle of a song? You should keep a good eye on your kit when someone else is using it anyway. And as for 10 minutes to tear down, well maybe you are that fast, but with a stage full of equipment and not much space, it takes a lot longer to tear one kit down, maneuver all the gear out of the way, set the next kit up, MIC the drums, and FORGET about a soundcheck cuz you ain't gonna get up there, play one song, get offstage, fart around a few min, etc. so most folks for the sake of the audience should just get over themselves and share a kit. You, as a lefty are an exception. No one is going to expect you to let them change around your set since you're a lefty and all......Your opinion, (which you are entirely entitled to and I am not trying to discourage you from expressing it) is essentially irrellevant to this topic in a world of mostly right handed players. Not that I want to be a TOTAL butthead. I'm just looking at this from the standpoint of a realistic touring musician in a band and not someone who plays cover songs once a month in the local VFW or at open mic night at Joe Schmoe's Bar (not that there's anything wrong with that.)
yee freakin' haw
dugdrummer
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:36 pm

i generally don't mind having another drummer play my drums..unless i know them to be heavy handed...

last year when my band opened for english beat,the venue was supposed to rent a kit for them..they didn't..so it came down them using my kit,or cancelling the show..owner gives me $75...they soundcheck before we go on..drummer beat the crap out of my skins...i get the owner to give me $60 more for new skins..
drummer for HEY YOU a tribute t pink floyd!

hug it out bitch!
bigbossman810
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:34 am

I agree that there are many situations where others may use your kit. I have played some benefits where my band was the host. As such you normally supply the kit. I have found that most drummers are very respectful of each others equipment. With the band I currently play in, if I take a night off I usually leave my equipment set up(house gig) and let the sub use it. I know the subs, but have never had a problem with abused equipment. Also I would never dream of damaging a brothers equipment intentionally. If I did damage something it would be accidently and I would replace or repair it.
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:46 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:But I also feel your pain Mike Ellis...It's not cool for someone to "walk through" your kit, especially after you were nice enough to let him borrow it. He would have definitely tasted my boot. As for Johnny Cat--ALWAYS tighten your mounts and make sure they are tight before a show. You have no one to blame for that but yourself. And it's kind of funny hearing the guy talk about his starclassics that have never been gigged. Unless you have no gigs or you have 2 good kits, you'll be getting with the program one of these days. Maybe you should hang a piece of thick cloth from the lugs of the rack tom closest to the snare if you're so worried about scratches on the side that no one but the drummer ever sees. Once again.... :roll:

Okay, I edited this post several times because I was slightly annoyed with how you worded your post. So I decided I should change my wording and be a bit nicer. Let me start off first of all by saying that I feel you could share your knowledge and experience with all of us in a much less condescending way. A little less of the eye-rolling. Thanks.

Perhaps I didn't give enough information. I'll humour you. Here's what happened:

I did set up my kit myself, and I made certain everything was tightened. I even went to the trouble of nailing down blocks of wood to the stage in front of the bass drum spurs to ensure that it wouldn't creep forward on myself or anyone else. That's how "not stupid" I am, just in case you're questioning my IQ. ONE OF THE OTHER DRUMMERS half way through the festival using my kit, preferred using only one rack tom, so he removed both my 12 and 13's ( my kit was smaller at the time) and proceeded to turn the 13" tom around and place it where the 12 would normally go.

You would think that any drummer would have the sense to ensure it was tightened properly, so I still stand by my claim that it was entirely his fault. I'm not his drum tech. He should know how to do these things properly. It's a very simple and straight forward Tama omniball mount. Not rocket science.

Dings and minor scratches from road use are one thing, but blatant incompetence and disregard for someone else's drums is another.

He didn't even readjust the tom after it had dropped, not even after the song was finished. I didn't know about the damage until much later.

As for the scratch being on the side only I see, it's not. It's actually on the outside because the tom was rotated. And that is irrelevant. It bothers me more when I have to look at it. I see it every day. I have to live with it. I didn't buy a nice drum kit only to be concerned with how other people see it.

As for the towel idea, I'd like to see you suggest that to someone who owns a Mercedes after some little kid comes along and keys it. It's basically the same thing. And a towel even hung on the side of your drum muffles your sound. Maybe you wouldn't be able to hear the difference, but I sure can, or maybe you can and are willing to live with it,

The bottom line is, he should have been more considerate. If someone has respect for their own or other's equipment, you can play an instrument that both sounds AND looks beautiful.
Last edited by Johnny Cat on Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
SmellsLikeIan
groove master
groove master

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:02 am

Well, I now have a better understanding of what happened, JohnnyCat, and agree that it was indeed not your fault. That guy deserves a good beating. As far as the towel, scratches, etc....that comment was not for you, so please don't take it that way. The rest of this is not aimed at you either, JohnnyCat. I just have a pet peeve about drummers that act like primadonnas when a promoter or a club owner wants bands to share a kit. It's not fair to the people who paid good money for them to have to stand around with their thumbs up their asses for 45 min. in the middle of the show. I figure, f you wanna be a jerk and act like I'm not good enough to play your kit, fine. But you don't even know me. I would have treated them with as much respect, if not more, as you. They're drums, you hit them, they're not made of glass. If it was the other way around, I'd let someone play my Noble and Cooley custom set, which is just about as nice a set of drums as you can get. And you can't just walk into any Guitar Center and find a set of them laying around. I understand pride in your equipment, obviously, but we do whack them with wooden sticks. But the "you break it you bought it" rule is the way to go, always.
yee freakin' haw
Johnny Cat
session drummer
session drummer

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:38 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:Well, I now have a better understanding of what happened, JohnnyCat, and agree that it was indeed not your fault. That guy deserves a good beating. As far as the towel, scratches, etc....that comment was not for you, so please don't take it that way. The rest of this is not aimed at you either, JohnnyCat. I just have a pet peeve about drummers that act like primadonnas when a promoter or a club owner wants bands to share a kit. It's not fair to the people who paid good money for them to have to stand around with their thumbs up their asses for 45 min. in the middle of the show. I figure, f you wanna be a jerk and act like I'm not good enough to play your kit, fine. But you don't even know me. I would have treated them with as much respect, if not more, as you. They're drums, you hit them, they're not made of glass. If it was the other way around, I'd let someone play my Noble and Cooley custom set, which is just about as nice a set of drums as you can get. And you can't just walk into any Guitar Center and find a set of them laying around. I understand pride in your equipment, obviously, but we do whack them with wooden sticks. But the "you break it you bought it" rule is the way to go, always.

I totally understand. I've put my own dents in the toms just from coming up off the snare and hooking the sticks under the rims. But it's my own fault and it's expected at times. What can you do really? Trust me, I'm not a Prima Donna. But when it comes to something like the bad scratch happening, well, I kinda had a fit..... :oops: ..... :lol:
Tama Rockstar Custom 10-Pc
Paiste and Sabian cymbals
Tama "RoadPro" Hardware
Axis "X" Longboard Pedals
Regal Tip "Jazz E" and Promark "Elvin Jones" and "747" Drumsticks
Regal Tip "Ed Thigpen" Brushes
Remo and Evans Drumheads
LayingGroovesJam
beginner
beginner

Post Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:32 pm

Just so everyone knows im just a beginner, and im going to lessons, ect, ect.
I went to my first teacher and he said one time, You dont strike me as a hard hitter. I said ohh no, i get down on my own set. This is your set and im not going to abuse it. My biggest thing in my life is respect. I respect your set, im not going to come in here and smash the hell out out of your set.
He said ive had to tell people to be careful and go easy stuff like that.
If i saw someone abusing my set id probally dive over and tackle him, and say now, thats how my set feels when your playing.

Peace.
LUDWIG
CS Custom eltite, Amber, 10,12,13,16,Toms
18x22 bass, speed King.
14 AA Med Hats, AA 10 splash, AAX 12 splash, Xs20 Med 20 ride, 16 Xs20 Crash, 16 B8 pro crash, AA 18 Fash china.
Remo
Sabain
Vater
Roc & Soc

IN works Octobans.
DRUMZILLA
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 am

I USUALLY MAKE PEOPLE BRING THEIR OWN CYMBALS AND SNARE, UNLESS I KNOW THEY ARENT A BASHER.
quikstang2
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:26 am

I've let a lof of people use my drums and I've only told one kid to never come near my drums ever again. He was using up my sticks, playing the cumbals wrong, adjusting my pedals, playing hard with broken sticks(when I break sticks they're pretty sharp, I also just drop them and usually never bother to throw them away), taking off my cymbal felts and sleeves...the list goes on.
Other than that, everyone has been really cool with my stuff. I've played a few other people's kits before too. I just hate when they don't have enough toms or whatever else.
I don't really like playing other people's stuff because I feel like I'm wearing their underwear...not everyone wears the same kind man.

I've actually had a few people refuse to play my set, but that was because it has one more bass drum and 5 more toms than most people around here are used too...they got intimidated, but they still loved the set.
8-piece Mapex Vx
5-piece Premier 1960s vintage

custom vintage Mapex 5-piece (for sale)
Erik
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:10 pm

Of course I let them. Life is too short to be an assy person. I met Brian Tichy the day after he w/Vinnie Moore opened for RUSH (MSG, NYC- roll the bones tour)- he said, "Neil was the nicest guy in the world, he asked me after I commented on them, 'do you want to play them?' (eagerly) and I played a bit and did some tunes together..."
I would want to be like that. Not the guy that says, "Uhm no, sorry, just a rule I have, no one plays 'em but me."

Don't get me wrong, I have had 2 or 3 times where some kid just tried to go nuts thinking the louder/heavier/faster they played the more impressed I/others would be- that ticks me off big time, but it is usually better humans that I allow to play.

(If ya'll mean playing at a bar and some stranger wants to play, I would say 'yes' but let them know to "be kind- these mean a great deal to me".) If it's some drunken bum- forget it.
:)
Hi.
joe_cader
beginner
beginner

Post Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:15 pm

I have let others play after they came up to me and asked to play my kit with their proviso if they break it they buy it. I was so impressed that I couldn't refuse. 8)

Also:
I have played guitar, for 15 yrs and yeah guitarists are cool with their axxes: It's the amps that we really have issues with. As an example-
I was in a band and I only had like a 20 watt amp and so the leader asked another guitarist if I could use his Marshall amp and he replied, 'You'd sooner get me to loan you my girlfriend than that amp.' :shock: I knew it wasn't going to happen b 4 he even asked.
The first one to the end of the song does NOT get a prize! - Paul D. Haley
Rob Crisp
groove master
groove master

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:17 am

SmellsLikeIan wrote:But I also feel your pain Mike Ellis...It's not cool for someone to "walk through" your kit, especially after you were nice enough to let him borrow it. He would have definitely tasted my boot. As for Johnny Cat--ALWAYS tighten your mounts and make sure they are tight before a show. You have no one to blame for that but yourself. And it's kind of funny hearing the guy talk about his starclassics that have never been gigged. Unless you have no gigs or you have 2 good kits, you'll be getting with the program one of these days. Maybe you should hang a piece of thick cloth from the lugs of the rack tom closest to the snare if you're so worried about scratches on the side that no one but the drummer ever sees. Once again.... :roll:

Why is it funny?

The only reason it haddn't been gigged at that point was because it was brand spanking new! It has now been gigged and I am "with the programme". I did actually let the other drummers play it because I knew a full breakdown wasn't practical.

Excuse me for not wanting some idiot to disrespect and destroy the finish on a beautiful kit that I worked seriously hard to buy!
andorawinds
new
new

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:40 am

I have no problem with other drummers playing my kit, they have problems wondering if I will get mad if they hit them too hard. Im a heavy hitter so I dont mind, my motto is if you break it or crack it just buy me a new one just like it and I wont kill you....lol
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:53 pm

my old kit i didnt mind other people playing it, but the kit i play now cost me nearly £3000 and i agree with what someone said earlier that drummers are brothers but no way would i let anyone touch my kit, i dont even let people help me set it up or take it down incase they over tighten or hit it against something, and due to my height (6ft 8) my set up is quite strange and not many other people could play my set up and id be damned if anyone is messing around with my strategically positoned stuff lol, so i always make sure when we play a show that i have a good talk with the promoter 1st about the drums
Heresy! \M/
Bigd11
drumming adept
drumming adept

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:55 pm

* 6ft 8ins, god knows where the little smiley face came from
Heresy! \M/